MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Lip Balm/Protectants

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Lip Balm/Protectants

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 am

Just woke up and my lips are so dry and chapped I can't stand it. The corners of my mouth are slit and opening my mouth just a little hurts.

Every winter I encounter a little dryness and take the usual preventative measures to counter it. I added a separate cool-mist humidifier for the bedroom in addition to the central humi. I bought several digital hygrometers and have them placed throughout the house. I try to maintain around 45% RH during winter.

As far as self-hydration, I'm MAKING myself drink four 32 oz containers of water every day... not including other beverages (coffee, tea, a little milk, beer, etc). My thirst drive definitely diminishes in the winter, but I know I am hydrating properly.

My gf buys these Blistex sticks in bulk it seems so I use them throughout the day:

Before bed I slather my lips in generic vaseline paying extra attention to the corners. The past few days I've been using Neosporin on the corners in an effort to heal the slits. It isn't helping any and I feel it's getting worse.

I've seen all sorts of "advice" online. Everything from the all-natural remedies to strong medical ointments. And also from people who say using anything is bad as your lips have what they need to heal themselves.

So, my fellow forons and dry-weather-battling Wisconsinites, what do you find works best for you? I'm already dreading the fact that it's football Sunday and in a few hours I'll be yelling at my TV.

Although, the 2 sixers of WBC's Amber Lager I have chillin' in the fridge should provide some temporary relief.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your much needed assistance!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lip Balm/Protectants

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:03 am

I've tried many products and this is the only one that seems to acutally heal the chapped lips. Blistex and others seem to just cover up the problem.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 am

Big fan of Kiehl's Lip Balm #1.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:18 pm

For prevention cheap: Carmex at bedtime. Pricier: Neutrogena. For cracks I sometimes use a little cortizone or triple antibiotic ointment. As Europeans my family never got into drinking straight water. Recently I thaw frozen oj into a squirt bottle. Then I spike my water.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 pm

I use Aquaphor. I was given a sample by my doctor. Great stuff though not the best tasting.

Walgreens has it
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Sandi wrote:I use Aquaphor. I was given a sample by my doctor. Great stuff though not the best tasting.

Walgreens has it

Thanks for all the replies. Had tried Burt's Bees years and years ago and and can't remember it being anything that wowed me.

Never heard of Aquaphor before, but in Googling it the various sites selling it all have glowing reviews from users.

The gf will be bringing some home from her shopping trip here any time.

I will use and report my results.

Will try the Kiehl's if the Aquaphor doesn't help. It's pricier and less available and has less reviews available (that I found in just a quick search) than the Aquaphor.

Where is Sno btw? When posting this I'd be lying if I didn't say she first came to mind when I was hoping who would chime in.

In fact, that could be a category all it's own here:

Ask Sno, She'll Know!

:idea:

Anyway, thanks again all!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Buy a humidifier that hooks up to your furnace and the problem will be solved.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:10 pm

HawkHead wrote:Buy a humidifier that hooks up to your furnace and the problem will be solved.

I have a humidifier hooked up to my furnace & have it checked every year. I also have lip balm all over the house- Burts in the living room, Blistex in the bedroom, Carmex in the kitchen and Chapstick in the bathroom- I just checked. I suppose that means I don't find any of them particularly effective.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Sno did not answer because sno does not like smearing gooey things on her body and doesn't know a thing about lip blam.

Humidifiers? That I could discuss a little more informatively.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:Humidifiers? That I could discuss a little more informatively.

I'd rather you elaborate on lip blam.

:P
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:05 pm

I've lived here all my life too and am very familiar. I've personally found that the brand doesn't matter much, but putting it on many, many times a day is key. Anytime you feel even a hint of dryness or tightness, put more on. Keep it in your pocket at all times. If you lick your lips instead, you're screwed.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:14 pm

I had a chapped lip problem for years until I discovered putting Carmex on at bedtime made the daytime easier. It took some getting used to but it's easier than cracked, peeling lips. I often use a tinted gloss during days.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I had a chapped lip problem for years until I discovered putting Carmex on at bedtime made the daytime easier. It took some getting used to but it's easier than cracked, peeling lips. I often use a tinted gloss during days.

I agree. Also, put it on right before you go outside. Prevention is the key.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Two words:

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:02 pm

"Pass the udder udder over to my udder brudder."
fennel
Forum God/Goddess