MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Oklahoma Could Become The Most Metal State Ever!

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Oklahoma Could Become The Most Metal State Ever!

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 pm

If there's not gonna be a separation of church and state, it should at least look this fucking cool, doncha think?

“This is a faith-based nation and a faith-based state,” Rep. Earl Sears (R-Bartlesville) said. “I think it is very offensive they would contemplate or even have this kind of conversation.”

Oh, Heaven forfend anyone offend you, Mr. Sears.
Hey, Oklahoma -- guess who I think holds the high ground in this fight?
Could it be...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Oklahoma Could Become The Most Metal State Ever!

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:12 pm

I find the usual response to Christians claiming public spaces to be less than enlightening. But Baphomet is pretty funny.

I thought this was clever too:
Keep Saturn in Saturnalia

The billboard, erected as a cheeky counterpoint to a “Keep Christ in Christmas” banner in downtown Pitman, refers to the ancient pagan celebration of the Winter Solstice, held in mid-December to honor the Roman god, Saturn.

Well duh! Everyone knows that.

Some people in town are very upset that they are mocking Christmas. They even tried to burn down the billboard.
“They were not successful,” Zimmerman said. “The posts are steel and didn’t ignite at all.”

I wonder if the vandals, and the other people who are so upset, realize that their cherished "Christmas" traditions really are keeping the Saturn in Saturnalia?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 am

DCB wrote:I find the usual response to Christians claiming public spaces to be less than enlightening.
Yeah, I don't usually get behind this kind of stuff either. As defiantly atheist as I am, I don't support the Freedom From Religion folks specifically because I think they pick the wrong battles and do the kinds of publicity stunts that just turn people off, a la PETA, another organization I think has their heart in the right place but their heads up their asses. I say, let the ACLU file a lawsuit and handle it legally, not humorously.

DCB wrote:But Baphomet is pretty funny.
Exactly. That statue is fucking cool. We all know it's never going to be allowed to happen, but it's funny to imagine it. (And you'd better believe if it ever did, I'd be taking a road trip to OK to get my picture taken on the lap of The Dark Prince. The hard part would be choosing which t-shirt to wear...)

DCB wrote:I thought this was clever too:
Keep Saturn in Saturnalia
Heh. Thanks for the link. I'd like everyone to note how the so-called Christians resort to vandalism while those in favor of the 1st Amendment instead use the legal system and humor to make their point.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:59 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:And you'd better believe if it ever did, I'd be taking a road trip to OK to get my picture taken on the lap of The Dark Prince. The hard part would be choosing which t-shirt to wear...

There would be a line, and I'd also be in it. If only it were in Colorado or Washington so we could hold fat, burning joints during the photo-op.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government