MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

California dried up wasteland

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

California dried up wasteland

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:23 pm

California was nice while it lasted. Too bad it's drying up and burning up from drought. It's cold here but we have water.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: California dried up wasteland

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Your post doesn't make you sound very sorry, Beaver. I hope their drought clears up. You're right that we have water. You'd better hope they don't use their votes to come after it. Lake Michigan would probably keep them going for another couple of decades.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Yeah, there are some blue states in the Midwest that are going to suddenly be pretty big fans of State's Rights when that happens.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:50 pm

gargantua wrote:Your post doesn't make you sound very sorry, Beaver.

Californians tend to flaunt their sunny, easy living lifestyle and make fun of us pale-faced, bundled up Midwesterners who have to endure long Winters. So it is hard to feel sorry for them.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:54 pm

Beaver wrote:
gargantua wrote:Your post doesn't make you sound very sorry, Beaver.

Californians tend to flaunt their sunny, easy living lifestyle and make fun of us pale-faced, bundled up Midwesterners who have to endure long Winters. So it is hard to feel sorry for them.

I know that impression is out there, but I've not experienced it first hand. Hot and dry sounds pretty good right now, just not all the time. Aside from the drought, they also have pollution, high cost of living, earthquakes, and really, really bad traffic. So if that makes them feel superior, I think they're more than just a little nutty.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:10 pm

the western drought and the cold here are part of the same thing just like 1977 and 1918, 1899, 1936 . . . so of course one way for it to wind itself down later in february is the last or penultimate sub-zero blast leaving in a spectacular blizzard with 150 km/h winds and enough snow to bury one up to their anus
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:27 am

That's the thing I notice every time I fly in. Everything is so brown, very little green or blue. But I'm in Anaheim right now and Today's high is 76. When I get home tonight it will be -15. I just hope my car starts.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 am

Other than the wilderness areas, good riddance to California.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the entertaining thread, forons!

Cheers from sunny California. I went for a nice 30 mile bike ride yesterday, I think it was in the upper 70's. I had to register my two water bottles with the state though.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Sorry Galoot, maybe our California dislike is just jealousy. I know Calif has a lot to offer but they don't have enough water to support that many people with their current lifestyle. The drought only gets worse:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Histori ... index.html
"It seems "the worst drought that California has ever seen" has become even worse. It has been a month since Gov. Jerry Brown said the state was facing perhaps "the worst drought that California has ever seen since records (began) about 100 years ago."

New numbers released Thursday are painting an even dimmer picture. Currently, the whole state of California is "abnormally dry," according to a weekly report by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. That's a little worse than last week, when 98 percent of the state had that designation, the report said."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm

Oh, I know it is abnormally dry. And this is nothing compared to droughts that have happened in very recent geological history--there was one that started around 800 CE that lasted over 200 years.

But it is a common misconception that the huge population increase (It is about 2.5 times the population of when I was born here in 1962) is the reason why we are so short on water. 80% of California's water is used by agriculture and business, mostly the former.

I have no problem with growing grains and fruit and nuts here in my native state. I do have a huge problem with farmer's growing cotton and in particular rice, in a state that is mostly savannah with very low average annual rainfall. In the northern Central Valley, where annual rainfall typically isn't more than 15 or so inches, they flood huge areas to grow rice, as if this were Louisiana or Vietnam.

We're supposed to get a series of storms from the Gulf of Alaska here, starting next Wednesday. I hope they drop plenty of water on this parched place.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am

Galoot wrote:I have no problem with growing grains and fruit and nuts here in my native state. I do have a huge problem with farmer's growing cotton and in particular rice, in a state that is mostly savannah with very low average annual rainfall. In the northern Central Valley, where annual rainfall typically isn't more than 15 or so inches, they flood huge areas to grow rice, as if this were Louisiana or Vietnam.

This
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:45 pm

As the old saying goes: "When it rains it pours." Though it is probably too much too quickly.

Even with rainfall totals exceeding six inches in some places by midday, the powerful Pacific storm did not put a major dent in a drought that is among the worst in recent California history.

The first wave of the storm doused foothill communities east of Los Angeles that just weeks ago were threatened by a wildfire — and now faced the threat of mudslides. Small debris flows covered one Glendora street but no property damage occurred, police said. Mandatory evacuation orders were issued for about 1,200 homes in the area.

Forecasts called for the storm to last through Saturday in California before trundling east into similarly parched neighboring states. Phoenix was expecting its first noticeable precipitation in two months.

In Los Angeles, rising water forced police to close major roads crossing the Sepulveda Basin. The flood-control area for the Los Angeles River on the San Fernando Valley floor is maintained as a wildlife refuge and recreation center but is otherwise kept clear of development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI6CG2qvYHc
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines