MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

whither Ezra Klein?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

whither Ezra Klein?

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:43 pm

I have a man crush on Ezra Klein, he is my favorite pundit. I'm disturbed that he just quit the Wash Post, the daily "wonkbook" newsletter that he edited was a staple of my inbox.

Well, he is starting-up some sort of independent wonkery with another wise guy:
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/201 ... 81760.html

I hope new service is good (a.k.a. free and easy), but I suppose they have to make a living too.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: whither Ezra Klein?

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Bezos cleaning house?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Bezos cleaning house?

I would have started with George Will. I know, I know, you're thinking "What--he's still alive?"
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51 pm

The competition is fierce, but this is in the Top Ten Dumbest Things Ned has ever written.

No, Neddy, Bezos is not cleaning house. (If he were, he would start with J.Rubin and R. Cohen). Ezra proposed a major upgrade of resources, Bezos balked, Ezra walked. Everyone thinks this was major error on Bezos' part. Try and keep up, why doncha?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:20 am

Detritus wrote:
I would have started with George Will. I know, I know, you're thinking "What--he's still alive?"

I have always appreciated George Will as a TV pundit, he has challenging things to say. (He is less incisive as an essayist, he meanders.) The last couple years he has gotten much more conservative and bitter.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:28 am

Here's some background. Klein isn't the only journalist who has taken or is taking his media identity in new directions.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/21/ezra-kle ... gton-post/

If Bezos is keeping Will and Rubin (who is even more hopeless) and losing Klein we can all see he has a few things to learn about journalism. He's a smart man and he would probably agree, at this point. It'll all be interesting to watch.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 pm

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/bu ... tself.html

Here's Klein's new venture. Can anybody make sense of this article? I think it's a lot of words that don't add up to much, at least not yet.

While I appreciate the value of getting free of legacy expenses like old office buildings, is the possibility of escaping experienced editorial oversight something to cheer about? Am I the only person who thinks the Huffington Post is garbage, with at least a third of its home page given over to the Kardashians and their ilk? Who clicks a giant screaming headline that tells nothing at all about the story it links to?

What specifically is meant by "remarkable, unexpected content that people flock to" and how is it different from what you or I look at for news each day? What is meant by "a prism on the rest of the news?" Do you go to any of the so called digital media mentioned in this article?

I hope Klein succeeds in what ever it is he wants to do because he was worth reading when he wrote for the Post. Maybe he's being purposely opaque about what's coming next for strategic reasons. Or maybe it's a bunch of BS. If someone else would read the linked article and tell us what you think, I'll be curious.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

snoqueen wrote:Am I the only person who thinks the Huffington Post is garbage, with at least a third of its home page given over to the Kardashians and their ilk? Who clicks a giant screaming headline that tells nothing at all about the story it links to?
Nope! The huff 'n puff post is basically just an ad site that tempts visitors with tidbits of news buried deep in a web of navigational misdirection. It presents clusters of article titles as a single link, so navigating to a single item of interest involves extra steps — a blatant strategy to expose the visitor to ever more ads.

For the HuffPo, the idea of the well-written lede has been totally abandoned in favor of meaningless (and often misleading) teasers designed to encourage idle clicks.

I find it minimally useful, since my browser is configured to disable javascript for that site, but I don't consider it a regular destination.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:14 pm

snoqueen wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/business/media/ezra-klein-joining-vox-media-as-web-journalism-asserts-itself.html

Here's Klein's new venture. Can anybody make sense of this article? I think it's a lot of words that don't add up to much, at least not yet.

I found that article offensive. The guy who wrote it was intent on telling us that he is forward thinking, cutting edge. Ezra Klein's new venture will be vastly superior to the old world communication form of long analysis and charts and graphs. The new format will employ gee whiz technology that leaves essays in the dust. Can't say what that technology will be, but the cool people know it will make all the difference.

That author, David Carr is awfully smug, he is on TV a lot to offer similarly trite commentary on media & technology. He's an idiot.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:

The competition is fierce, but this is in the Top Ten Dumbest Things Ned has ever written.

No, Neddy, Bezos is not cleaning house. (If he were, he would start with J.Rubin and R. Cohen). Ezra proposed a major upgrade of resources, Bezos balked, Ezra walked. Everyone thinks this was major error on Bezos' part. Try and keep up, why doncha?

Keep up indeed...

"But it still raises the question of why Jeffrey Bezos, who bought The Post in August and who has personally backed Business Insider and its founder Henry Blodget, did not want to fund Mr. Klein’s venture at The Post. He is not saying, but to start, The Post has long-festering problems with its core business. It has a strong editor in Martin Baron who is making strides, but to invest time and money in building out another discrete brand — Mr. Klein reportedly wanted a big presence and staff that could cost millions of dollars annually — would be a major distraction."
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/bu ... tself.html

Again, our friend Stu needs to stick to the street sweeper beat.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Hm.

Huck thinks it is an offensive article written by a smug idiot trying to make us think he is on the cutting edge. Ned thinks it is trustworthy information culled from the very cutting edge itself.

What a quandary.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm

Stu's had a rough start to 2014.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Compared to Lorde and Macklemore, sure. Compared to you? Hah.

Ned, "cleaning house" involves the boss taking the initiative to eliminate positions or individuals. Declining to agree to an employee's request for ten million dollars to develop a new outlet does not constitute "cleaning house." What exactly in the clip you so adroitly cut and pasted do you think supports your assertion?

And I see that your all-around bigotry extends to people performing manual labor. But still confused what "street-sweeper" duties you think I have. I'd ask you to elaborate, but I really don't want to continue punching down.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Compared to Lorde and Macklemore, sure. Compared to you? Hah.

Ned, "cleaning house" involves the boss taking the initiative to eliminate positions or individuals. Declining to agree to an employee's request for ten million dollars to develop a new outlet does not constitute "cleaning house." What exactly in the clip you so adroitly cut and pasted do you think supports your assertion?

And I see that your all-around bigotry extends to people performing manual labor. But still confused what "street-sweeper" duties you think I have. I'd ask you to elaborate, but I really don't want to continue punching down.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

Now that is new journalism. I can just see all the people flocking. Can't you?

I'd pay for a subscription in a heartbeat.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government