MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Science vs. Crazy

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Science vs. Crazy

Postby DCB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm trying to watch the debate between Bill Nye, The Science Guy and the Creation Museum guy. It makes my head hurt.

Ken Ham takes what is (to me ) a new approach - he differentiates 'observational science' from 'historical science'. Oh sure we can observe radioactive decay now. But what was that rubidium doing 4000 years ago? You weren't there, so how do know the decay rate was the same?

The best reason for keeping creationism out of schools is that it warps your brain.

Nye's approach is rational. But probably doesn't get much purchase with ones riding the creationist crazy train.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Science vs. Crazy

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 am

I think that I might have just touched this notion...
I think we might agree that this 'experiment' in fundamentalism which has been foisted upon us over the last few decades or so, is bad.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=59027&start=15#p754270
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:05 am

DCB wrote: Ken Ham takes what is (to me ) a new approach - he differentiates 'observational science' from 'historical science'. Oh sure we can observe radioactive decay now. But what was that rubidium doing 4000 years ago? You weren't there, so how do know the decay rate was the same?

Nye should have asked Ham if he was there when the Bible was written.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

A couple of articles I've read have put forth the opinion that as soon as Nye agreed to the debate, the creationists won because their world view is now elevated to a concept worthy of debate.

Whether they "win" the debate is irrelevant. The "theory" is now validated as being realistically possible enough to warrant consideration. Creationism is now officially on the table.

Plus they sold a crapload of tickets at 25 bucks a head.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am

If the people making money off of creationism were in England, they could end up in British court of law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:46 am

Steve Vokers wrote:Nye should have asked Ham if he was there when the Bible was written.

Nye pointed out, several times, that today's Bible is the result of multiple translations over the past 30 centuries. So maybe not all accurate.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 am

It doesn't matter what the question, if your answer is "because God," you fail.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 am

Henry Vilas wrote:If the people making money off of creationism were in England, they could end up in British court of law.

What's so depressing to me is that, in the right context, you can not only teach creationism for money in the US, you can actually do so tax free. Sheesh.

Taking this little corner of the internet as a sample, YEC is so absurd, I can't recall even Flanders standing up to defend it.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:53 pm

I had a discussion about the debate with both my 7th and 8th grade classes this morning. A key fact that came up right away is that our chief competition in the private school market is a local Christian school that teaches that evolution is false and that dinosaurs never even existed.

On the one hand, I'm depressed that such a school even exists in California. On the other hand, I'm happy that this is our competition!

I watched the debate, and Nye did fairly well. He could have done a bit better with slightly different approaches in a few areas. Ham actually did better than I thought, in that he didn't do the Gish Gallop that is so typical of creationists in debates.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:17 pm

As a Forum God I have no choice but to support Ken Ham.

Now worship me.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:33 pm

As a mad scientist I would say to you sir "go fuck yourself".
I worship the sun.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Madsci wrote:As a mad scientist I would say to you sir "go fuck yourself".
I worship the sun.

Sorry to disappoint you.

But you are also a God/Goddess despite your day job.

So in that regard, you're like gozer and me.

Well, gozer, me, and a bunch of the other God/Goddesses here.

But you do make a valid point.

Since I'm on the computer anyway, maybe I will go fuck myself.

:think:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:38 am

I think this pretty much sums it up:
That all was further confirmed when a member of the audience asked what turned out to be the crux of the debate: what, if anything, would convince the men to change their minds? Ham’s answer: “I’m a Christian.” (In other words, nothing.) Nye, on the other hand, was happy to concede that just one piece of evidence to support a Biblical interpretation of Earth’s formation — that the universe is not expanding, or that rock layers can somehow form in just 4,000 years — would cause him to change his mind “immediately.”
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:45 pm

Priceless!!!

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/05/p ... ourselves/
“Let’s face it,” Robertson said, “there was a Bishop [Ussher] who added up the dates listed in Genesis and he came up with the world had been around for 6,000 years.”

“There ain’t no way that’s possible,” he continued. “To say that it all came about in 6,000 years is just nonsense and I think it’s time we come off of that stuff and say this isn’t possible.”

“Let’s be real, let’s not make a joke of ourselves.”
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines