MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Yellow Spray Paint on Trees?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Yellow Spray Paint on Trees?

Postby magic moose » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Anyone else get a yellow blotch on tree outside their abode recently?

Is the city marking very early, or am I being fingered for a strange passover ritual?
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Yellow Spray Paint on Trees?

Postby rabble » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 pm

That wouldn't happen to be an ash tree, would it?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby magic moose » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 pm

I am embarrassed to admit I don't know and don't much pay attention, but I'll check. Just saw the yellow on my way outta the apartment.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:19 pm

I got a letter from the city indicating that the ash tree on the easement would be marked for removal. It's got a yellow spray paint mark on it.....they have found emerald ash borers close by us on the northside.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:02 pm

City of Madison Ash Tree Lookup.
We've got 14 beauties on our block. Oy!
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby metas » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:17 pm

It is not just the north side. I live nine blocks east of the Capitol on E. Dayton and my neighbor got a letter saying the ten year old ash on her terrace will be removed. The city is being proactive because of the inevitable spread of the emerald ash borer.
metas

Postby magic moose » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 am

It's an ash, yes. And it's on the map.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 pm

If a given ash tree is not at the peak of health, it will be removed. Diseased / dying ash trees (and a tree can take a long time to die) are more susceptible to the EAB and help its spread. The city's gonna try to save the ones it can, but as you can see from the map fennel posted, there are a lot.

If you have an ash on your property you can treat it against EAB. It costs something like $50 per tree and I believe you need to retreat every other year or so.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:39 pm

The stuff they use to treat is pretty toxic so it's a careful judgment call as to whether replacement might not be a more conservative (or conservation-minded) course of action.

I have one of the biggest green ash street trees I ever saw in front of my place, but if it gets infected I'll let it go. I like the locust trees and if I get to pick I would like one for a replacement. No yellow dot yet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:50 pm

snoqueen wrote:I have one of the biggest green ash street trees I ever saw in front of my place, but if it gets infected I'll let it go. I like the locust trees and if I get to pick I would like one for a replacement. No yellow dot yet.

If it's a city tree then its fate is not up to you. You can report EAB infestation to the city, but you can't choose to save or sacrifice the tree.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:59 pm

green union terrace chair wrote: The city's gonna try to save the ones it can, but as you can see from the map fennel posted, there are a lot.

If you have an ash on your property you can treat it against EAB. It costs something like $50 per tree and I believe you need to retreat every other year or so.

Word I'm hearing on the street is that the city ain't going to find no ash trees in "the peak of health."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Back to sno's wish for a locust if her ash is cut down. I too have an ash on the terrace. If the city removes it, can I request a specific type of tree or is it luck of the draw?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nutria » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Back to sno's wish for a locust if her ash is cut down. I too have an ash on the terrace. If the city removes it, can I request a specific type of tree or is it luck of the draw?

I'm going from memory here, so take it with a grain of salt: Two or three years ago, the city took a tree from my neighbor's terrace (maple? I can't remember), because it was going to die soon. They were given a choice of replacements, but didn't like any, because none were terribly fast growing. So, they put in their own (a red oak) which does grow quicker, but is not on the city's list.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:39 pm

We got a choice, so we went with a Swamp White Oak. It's fairly quick-growing and looks like it will provide good shade. The locust tree they offer is rather anemic in appearance, I think.

You may have a wider choice if you pay the City to install one, but there are guidelines re species diversity and, maybe, hardiness.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:24 pm

The tree guidelines also consider salt resistance, since some otherwise nice varieties (including the sugar maple) are highly vulnerable to street salt.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All