MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 13.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Forward momentum, you slackers & hippies!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Forward momentum, you slackers & hippies!

Postby other i » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:29 am

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/article.php?article=42253

I wonder if the iphone app subsector of tech really has all that great a potential for economic impact. If so, we should probably explore that rail expansion again in anticipation of our need to move "Angry Cows" to global markets. But it kind of reminds me of the "learn html and get rich" thing we went through back a ways.
other i
Forum Addict

Re: Forward momentum, you slackers & hippies!

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 am

I don't know how great the long-term potential is, but they sure have a propensity for pissing off various blacksmith unions.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:00 pm

This is no different than if the city suddenly let anyone be a cab company, with no regulation or oversight. These companies should have to follow all state and city regulations regarding commercial drivers and taxis.

Just because there's a freakin' phone app doesn't make it "progress" or a good thing in any way.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm

Why would anyone use Lfyt or Uber instead of calling a cab? What is their advantage?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 pm

http://www.wired.com/business/2012/06/mf_uber/

Although the way the service is being rolled out in Madison seems different. I think one appeal is the cashless transaction. The other appeal might be that Madison's taxi service sucks monkey nuts. No offense to the drivers. It's how the system is set up in the city.

I do agree that folks who sign up to be a driver need to somehow be regulated.

I also talked to a driver from Badger Cab who said their business is going into the shitter and the owner has been trying to sell for years.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:46 pm

I wonder if Uber or Lyft could declare themselves private transportation clubs to avoid regulation.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:36 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Although the way the service is being rolled out in Madison seems different. I think one appeal is the cashless transaction. The other appeal might be that Madison's taxi service sucks monkey nuts. No offense to the drivers. It's how the system is set up in the city.

Union has had an app to get a cab and credit card it in advance upon hailing it via the app for some time now. And I love Union cab - never have had any problems with 'em (except when some idiot leaps into the back seat to snag the cab that I requested before I can get to the door which isn't the cab's fault).
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:22 am

I have an acquaintance who works as a Lyft driver in Los Angeles. She claims to drive lots and lots of repeat riders all the time, which is why I suggested "private transportation club" above. Her impression is that more people use Lyft because it's a more comfortable experience all-around than a cab. Something to enjoy, not just tolerate.

I don't know anything about cabs in LA, so I don't really know if this is more an endorsement of Lyft, or an indictment of LA cabs.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 am

donges wrote:Union has had an app to get a cab and credit card it in advance upon hailing it via the app for some time now.

An app for your phone? I went to their website and all I saw was an online booking system. That's not an app. Maybe I missed something.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
donges wrote:Union has had an app to get a cab and credit card it in advance upon hailing it via the app for some time now.

An app for your phone? I went to their website and all I saw was an online booking system. That's not an app. Maybe I missed something.

Huh - you are right. I coulda sworn they had an app (obviously I didn't have it installed). The order a cab web function is mobile friendly, though. I never use it 'cause I prefer to pay cash for cabs (no idea why, actually) and that isn't an option here for some reason.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm

I will skip Lyft and Uber and call a taxi when I need a ride, like Union taxi so I support unions.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jeffw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 am

She says if Madison wants to promote itself as open to tech innovation, it can't have "old laws preventing people from innovating. Then people are going to leave."

Ohh, we can send a considerable chunk of business profits to San Fran while keeping the population growing here? More people, less money, sounds like we have a winner there.

If we want to ditch these "old laws" that are such a problem, how about starting with some really crusty ones like manslaughter? That should help out Uber with some of the controversies it's drivers have created.

There are actual 'rideshare' apps that promote real carpooling (Hopin, Toogethr, Ridejoy...), resulting in less cars on the road and making the transportation network more efficient. That is positive innovation. I am a cab driver but would be happy to see people make more use of such new technology when it suits them. Uber and Lyft are BSing us with claims of being 'rideshares' while adding vehicles on the road that are only there for professional drivers to make money. These are opportunists trying to make a quick buck by circumventing laws that are there to support a more cohesive local community.
jeffw

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:29 am

Convenience is great and tech advances are inevitable but at what point are they going to stop resulting in a net loss of jobs?

Besides drivers, brick & mortar cab companies employ dispatchers, mechanics, office workers, etc. These new services do not.

Seems like there's about 3 people running my bank branch these days.

In it's prime, Kodak employed 140,000 people. When Facebook bought Instagram it had 13 employees.

American TV....

Where are we going with all this? Not everyone is going to work in the tech industry.

I guess Culver's is expanding pretty fast.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 am

narcoleptish wrote:Convenience is great and tech advances are inevitable but at what point are they going to stop resulting in a net loss of jobs?

I keep trying to ask that question here and it keeps going nowhere. I think it's because nobody has any idea.

Four possibilities modified slightly from here:

1. Everybody works a bit less. (We shorten the work week so as to squeeze more people into the same number of jobs).

2. Everybody consumes a bit more. (People who lose their jobs via automation are magically transformed into Yglesias's army of yoga instructors and personal trainers).

3. A few people own more and more of everything and the rest of you all go on the dole.

4. A few people own more and more of everything and the rest of you are left to starve.

1 would require a lot of regulation, but this happened before (it's how we got the 40-hour work week). 2 and 3 would require some redistribution of wealth via taxation.

I don't see any other options for the future. Technology (IT, robots, automation) keeps advancing and anyone who tries to stop it will get left behind. But nobody has figured out how to make our current economic system adapt.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 am

kurt_w wrote:3. A few people own more and more of everything and the rest of you all go on the dole.

4. A few people own more and more of everything and the rest of you are left to starve.

I see a combination of those two, heavier on 4 than 3, followed by a sudden redistribution of power sometime after I'm dead.

In tenth grade, a history teacher told us that feudal lords discovered that if you kept a population down, in the dirt, with nothing, it produced much more controllable servants than ones who had rights or possessions.

Give them an inch, they'll want a mile. Keep them firmly under your foot, they're much easier to manage. Looking over history that seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government