MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sue Ellingson resigns

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Sue Ellingson resigns

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am

Via e-mail:

Today I submitted my resignation as Alder for District 13 to Mayor Soglin.

In the last two months I have had pressing family matters arise that require extended periods away from Madison. I simply don’t have the time to adequately represent my district.

Many thanks to my neighbors who gave me this opportunity to help make decisions about the future of our city. I’ve learned much about how the city works and explored new ideas for city management. I’ve met hundreds of neighbors. I’ve worked hours and hours with Madison’s exceptionally capable and committed staff.

This has been one of the best experiences of my life. I regret that I’m no longer able to serve.

Mayor Soglin will appoint a new alder to serve the remainder of my term. Meantime, you can contact the Mayor’s office at 266-4611 or the Council office at 266-4071.

See also:

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 1c402.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sue Ellingson resigns

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:25 pm

Yeah, she's mine. What a shame. I'd just sent her an email a few days before.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Mine as well.

I didn't follow her politics too closely (well, I haven't followed *any* city council politics too closely lately), but she was always responsive when I went to her with issues.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:42 pm

I won't miss her. If you watch the video of the Transit and Parking Commission meeting from December she comments to a guy from the city attorney's office that the letter the city sent to Nik Clark of Wisconsin Carry, Inc. about Madison Metro's illegal "no guns" policy wasn't insulting. She adds, if she had written it, it would have contained insults. That's hardly a respectful response from a public official regarding a legitimate concern from the public during a public meeting. The city attorney's office, although full of erroneous information, was at least professional about it.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:01 pm

I hope her family situation works out for the best, but she is a nasty mean elected official with a poor grasp of municipal public policy.
MarcoPolo

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Marco, that's pretty harsh. Could you give an example or two of her being mean and nasty and what you consider her poor grasp of public policy? Thanks.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Marco, that's pretty harsh. Could you give an example or two of her being mean and nasty and what you consider her poor grasp of public policy? Thanks.

I think my example qualifies as an example of nastiness. In terms of poor grasp of public policy she shares that in common with the entire city council and the mayor. Too bad we won't be able to see that smug self-rightious look on her face disappear after Madison Metro loses in court.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Dangerousman wrote:I won't miss her. If you watch the video of the Transit and Parking Commission meeting from December she comments to a guy from the city attorney's office that the letter the city sent to Nik Clark of Wisconsin Carry, Inc. about Madison Metro's illegal "no guns" policy wasn't insulting. She adds, if she had written it, it would have contained insults. That's hardly a respectful response from a public official regarding a legitimate concern from the public during a public meeting. The city attorney's office, although full of erroneous information, was at least professional about it.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Requests Madison Metro Transit Drop Unlawful CCW Ban

Today Wisconsin Carry, Inc. mailed a letter to Madison Metro Transit requesting that they change their unlawful policy of banning concealed carry on Madison buses.

http://www.wisconsincarry.org/media/778 ... ransit.pdf

Wisconsin has a "preemption" statute that prohibits political subdivisions of the state from adopting or enacting ordinances pertaining to gun possession, carry, and transport that are stricter than state law.
Doesn't federal constitutional law trump state law? If so, do you think it's wrong for the unorganized militia to be "well regulated?" If you think the unorganized militia should not be well regulated, why do you feel the 2nd amendment is wrong? Why should Wisconsin Carry's opinions be allowed to trump federal law?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Marco, that's pretty harsh. Could you give an example or two of her being mean and nasty and what you consider her poor grasp of public policy? Thanks.

I think my example qualifies as an example of nastiness. In terms of poor grasp of public policy she shares that in common with the entire city council and the mayor.

Right. The entire city council and mayor have a poor grasp of public policy. Tell us, with your superior grasp of public policy, what public office have you been elected to? Surely one as knowledgeable and wise as yourself could help save this city from the miserable hell-hole this mayor and city council turned it into with their poor grasp of public policy.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:41 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Wisconsin has a "preemption" statute that prohibits political subdivisions of the state from adopting or enacting ordinances pertaining to gun possession, carry, and transport that are stricter than state law. Doesn't federal constitutional law trump state law? If so, do you think it's wrong for the unorganized militia to be "well regulated?" If you think the unorganized militia should not be well regulated, why do you feel the 2nd amendment is wrong? Why should Wisconsin Carry's opinions be allowed to trump federal law?

What federal law? The case is in the Dane County circuit court, not federal court. Wisconsin Carry's suit is challenging a local regulation of firearms, which as you pointed out, is preempted by state law, and has been since 1995.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:58 pm

Huh? I didn't say that, D-man.

Again, do you feel it's wrong that the 2nd amendment says that the militia, as defined by the Constitution as the organized and unorganized militia, should be well-regulated as the 2nd amendment states? I trust you're aware of this amendment.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 am

"Ellingson represented the economically and geographically diverse district stretching from Olin Park on Lake Monona to past Monroe Street since 2011"

I wish this leader well & expect that her district was no easy row to hoe.

Although, I have some questions for dangerousman.
I think you have stated that you do concealed carry training.
Do you offer open carry training?
I am interested in this.
It seems kind of limp wristed to conceal the carry.
But, I see the legal merits - as in you are open carrying and you drop your piece in a pocket 'cause your fumbling for your keys & the next thing you know you're busted by the man. Right! Aren't we all sick and tired of being 'hassled by the man'?
Am I misguided about the nostaligia of open carrying?
Should I consider the gathering legal efficiency of concealing the carry?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:02 pm

The gun issue should be in the gun thread.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:41 am

jonnygothispen wrote:Huh? I didn't say that, D-man.

Again, do you feel it's wrong that the 2nd amendment says that the militia, as defined by the Constitution as the organized and unorganized militia, should be well-regulated as the 2nd amendment states? I trust you're aware of this amendment.

Oh I most definitely do believe that the militia should be in good working order. But with all of the infringements of the People's right to keep and bear arms, that goal of the 2nd Amendment is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 am

Dangerousman wrote:
jonnygothispen wrote:Huh? I didn't say that, D-man.

Oh I most definitely do believe that the militia should be in good working order. But with all of the infringements of the People's right to keep and bear arms, that goal of the 2nd Amendment is becoming increasingly difficult to achieve.

Which amendment includes the right to derail topics?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government