MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Lyft and Uber get their first citations

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Lyft and Uber get their first citations

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:23 pm

Incident Report here

I don't know if the undercover sting was a valuable allocation of department resources (think simply pulling over those stupid mustachioed cars would be enough), but it sends message.

Why is it such an issue for these companies to wait until city adopts some guidelines to operate under? You're certainly not winning any supporters by breaking the rules. Take Fictional Joe's hot-dogs and auto service trailer: "we don't have our food license, retail license, or any health and safety requirements covered yet, but we're gonna go a head and open up shop now anyways."

What the hell, taxi-scabs? The rules don't apply to you guys?

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lyft and Uber get their first citations

Postby gargantua » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:34 pm

The impression they and their supporters give is that they don't have to abide by the rules, because they're at the cutting edge of technology, and hey, well-paid young Epic employees who have smart phones and apps and stuff!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:Take Fictional Joe's hot-dogs and auto service trailer: "we don't have our food license, retail license, or any health and safety requirements covered yet, but we're gonna go a head and open up shop now anyways."

I think it's more like inviting the general public to your house for dinner than it is opening a shop.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:50 pm

wack wack wrote:
Endo Rockstar wrote:Take Fictional Joe's hot-dogs and auto service trailer: "we don't have our food license, retail license, or any health and safety requirements covered yet, but we're gonna go a head and open up shop now anyways."

I think it's more like inviting the general public to your house for dinner than it is opening a shop.

If you charge for dinner with daily hours its the same thing. You better have a restaurant license.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

Whoever had State Representative Tyler August (R-Lake Geneva) in their office pool as the first person to publicly roll around in shit about this wins free donuts for a week.

My office has already started looking into a legislative remedy to this situation. In addition, if the City of Madison has enough resources available to waste on undercover enforcement of taxi ordinances, perhaps it is time to revisit the millions of dollars given to the city in shared revenue as the next budget process begins.

Perhaps, Representative Tyler August, you should blow me.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 am

I don't know Marvell. I think the MPD may have taken that prize just by setting up an undercover sting in the first place. Do we really need to put the same resources into catching people providing transportation services as we do child molesters?

Couldn't the DA just subpoena Uber and Lyft's records if they have reason and evidence to believe those companies are running illegal transportation services in the city?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

You know what seems to be near impossible to find? Criticisms of Uber and Lyft that don't come from cabbies, former cabbies, friends of cabbies or those invested in the business.

Similar to AirBnB: find me a complainer, I'll show you a hotelier.

What are traditional cab companies doing to up their game, to meet these upstarts on more level footing? Anything? Or is "obstruct" the entire plan?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 am

wack wack wrote:You know what seems to be near impossible to find? Criticisms of Uber and Lyft that don't come from cabbies, former cabbies, friends of cabbies or those invested in the business.

What are traditional cab companies doing to up their game, to meet these upstarts on more level footing? Anything? Or is "obstruct" the entire plan?

I'll make it easy for you. I'm not a cabbie, former cabbie, friend of a cabbie, or invested in the business. I'm critical of Uber and Lyft. It would be easy for the traditional cab companies to up their game. Just let them flout the regulations they're bound by like Uber and Lyft do.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 am

My understanding of the situation, which is extremely limited, is that the big "problem" is the municipal requirement to operate around the clock.

It does seem to be unfair competition if they aren't playing according to the restrictive rules in place. There would seem to be fairly substantial benefits to only operating at peak times.

edit: what garg said
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:48 am

gargantua wrote:
wack wack wrote:You know what seems to be near impossible to find? Criticisms of Uber and Lyft that don't come from cabbies, former cabbies, friends of cabbies or those invested in the business.

I'll make it easy for you. I'm not a cabbie, former cabbie, friend of a cabbie, or invested in the business. I'm critical of Uber and Lyft. It would be easy for the traditional cab companies to up their game. Just let them flout the regulations they're bound by like Uber and Lyft do.

Same here. No affiliation with a cab company other than I'm partial to Union cab when I call a cab company to pick me up.

I don't have a problem with Lyft and Uber other than they're brazenly breaking the law -- and seem to have absolutely no regard for the rules currently in place.

If you don't like the rules, work with the city to change them, alternatively, change your business model to fit the rules. You don't get to say, "the rules are stupid, I'm going to do what I want."

Also lose the fucking pink mustaches.

Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CapFox » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:35 am

It's interesting to me that people who advocate disruption in so many other parts of life--music, arts, tired and conservative politics, drug laws--are extremely pissed off about this issue. Like, they're not interested in saying it's something the city needs to to figure out, they're simply opposed to the outside operators.

I wonder how often those people ever need a cab on a weekend evening in the winter time.
CapFox

Postby Marvell » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:04 pm

It's interesting to me how some people are apparently addicted to the use of hippie-punching strawman arguments.

Oh, wait - 'interesting' isn't quite the word I wanted.

I meant 'tedious.'

You want to let vehicle operators opt out of three-figure taxi licensing fees because freedom? What the hell kind of vaporous twaddle is that?

Take it up with the Streets Department; those pots don't hole themselves, ya know.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Marvell, do think the city should be going after the drivers and not the companies? To me it seems like the Madison is going after the easy targets to intimidate other drivers rather than Lyft and Uber who might be willing to spend the money to challenge the regulations.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:43 pm

CapFox wrote:Like, they're not interested in saying it's something the city needs to to figure out, they're simply opposed to the outside operators.

That's actually not what anyone is saying. I welcome these companies, but they do run a different business model than traditional taxi services. I think there should be some form of regulation, but I don't see an issue with them only running peak hours.

They should have known that the city would go after them because it's happening in other cities as well. I think the sting operations are a waste of city resources and agree that they should go after the company and not the drivers.

I do hope there can be some resolution because I think more the more cab choices we have the better in this town.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:10 pm

As a side note, my one hope that comes from all of this drama is we see one dude dressed up on State Street for Halloween with a pink fake mustache and a Lyft t-shirt offering "free mustache ride-shares."

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines