MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Mary Burke for Governor

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Mary Burke for Governor

Postby penquin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 pm

gargantua wrote:Only if you want to BEAT Walker. Do you want to beat Walker or not?

That was Barrett's unofficial slogan during the recall election. How well did that work out for him?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:52 pm

So who is your candidate to beat Walker? Please don't say Hulsey.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So who is your candidate to beat Walker?

I hope it can be Mary Burke, but only an insane person would vote for someone who wants to put 'em in a cage. If my support/vote for her really means a lot to you then reach out to her (email? call? in person at an event?) and let her know what's wrong with her stance on this issue.

Please don't say Hulsey.

I wouldn't vote for that nutjob for dogcatcher, but you've made it very clear that if he was to somehow end up winning the Governor's primary that Hulsey would get your vote in the general election.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:34 pm

Republicans unveil fake Mary Burke website at MaryBurke.com

A desperate, dirty trick by the GOP.

Will Walker disavow the fake site or will he defend it on the principle of free speech?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Seriously? CT wrote about this site back in October. It looks like they might have updated it a little in format but not in content. I'm not sure why the CT felt the need to give it any publicity again. I guess if it was a new site, I might think it was a slightly desperate move, but it actually seems more desperate for the Cap times to write a second article about it 8 months later.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Yes, I read about the site back then. So what?

Still wondering what Walker's take on it is. Arent you also curious?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:46 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Yes, I read about the site back then. So what?

Still wondering what Walker's take on it is. Arent you also curious?

Much in the same way I wonder how JFK felt about all the dead Illinois votes he got. My interest is purely academic. I know as a former teacher of political science, the concept that politicians might play dirty tricks must absolutely shock you Henry. I really hope you were sitting down when you found out.

And no I don't wonder what his position is on marriage rights. I'm fairly comfortable assuming it hasn't changed. I guess he could stun me mid October and say he realizes that he was wrong, but I really would have a hard time taking such a statement too seriously. Even if I did, it wouldn't effect my vote.

I am curious why you really care what his opinion is though. I feel fairly safe assuming a change in his position won't effect your vote either. One might wonder if your interest has less than pure motives.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:57 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
I am curious why you really care what his opinion is though. I feel fairly safe assuming a change in his position won't effect your vote either. One might wonder if your interest has less than pure motives.

What? You're one of those people who doesn't believe any one should learn anything that doesn't provide them with an immediate economic advantage? A very 1% view.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 pm

peripat wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:

What? You're one of those people who doesn't believe any one should learn anything that doesn't provide them with an immediate economic advantage? A very 1% view.

No, I'm all for the gathering of any useful knowledge. I don't think knowing what Walker's position on marriage rights are is useful.

edit: Just wanted to add, I could care less about economic advantage of information. People need knowledge to make choices in their life. I don't think knowing Walker's position on marriage rights will help anyone make a better decision on whether he's a good governor or not.

And just out of curiosity, can anyone here honestly say, if he suddenly changed his position, they would change how they intended to vote in the general election?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm more inclined to think he hasn't got any beliefs at all except when there's a political benefit to having them. Since he can't figure out what beliefs he should claim that would be to his benefit in this one, he's not saying anything.

He can't possibly claim he never gave gay people any thought, because weren't two of the men who got convicted in his scandal thing a gay couple? He can't pretend he didn't know that, because it was public knowledge.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:15 am

snoqueen wrote:I'm more inclined to think he hasn't got any beliefs at all except when there's a political benefit to having them.

Pretty much this. His whole life has been about getting elected to the next level. He's a politician to the core, not a leader.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:29 am

Walker quit his weaseling about gay marriage and recently said he's against it.

Gov. Scott Walker affirmed his opposition to same-sex marriage Wednesday with some of his most direct comments on the issue since a federal judge ruled the state’s ban unconstitutional. Walker told reporters following a campaign stop in Ashwaubenon that he supports the state’s 2006 constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. He also said he doesn’t believe same-sex marriage is a significant issue for voters and that his opponents are using it to distract from the economic policies people care about.

Distracftions from what? His failure to meet his promise to add a quarter million new jobs in Wisconsin?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:56 am

Hee is another issue that Burke should talk about:

Wisconsin second only to Alabama in cuts to education funding

Wisconsin has had the second deepest slash in per-student spending in the nation since 2008 — second only to Alabama — according to a study by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

Spending per pupil in Wisconsin was down $1,038 from 2008 for the school year just ended. Alabama cut per-pupil spending by $1,242.

Alabama and Wisconsin led the list of at least 35 states providing less funding per student than they did before the recession hit.

Wisconsin spending per pupil is 15.3 percent lower than in 2008, making it among 14 states where per-pupil spending remains at least 10 percent lower than before the economic recession.

The state cuts to education leave local school districts forced to cut services, raise taxes or both, notes the study.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beastofsteel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:34 am

Since announcing her candidacy to seek the Democratic nomination for governor earlier this month, Burke has been reluctant to say whether she would seek to undo Walker’s most controversial piece of legislation: A bill that curtailed the collective bargaining rights of public sector unions.

Walker said his restrictions on collective bargaining helped local governments cut their budgets by requiring additional union worker contributions to health insurance and pensions.

Republican Party of Sauk County Chair Andrea Lombard said Walker’s collective bargaining bill has been a plus for Wisconsin communities.

Sorry but i cannot support her unless she has a clear answer about collective bargaining.
beastofsteel

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government