MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Future Dems Continue to Stream Across Southern Border

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Future Dems Continue to Stream Across Southern Border

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:33 am

Collapsing the System, Part XVII:

Illegal immigration: how 'humanitarian crisis' on border could hurt Obama

Two weeks ago, the Obama administration was poised again to take executive action in an election year to ease deportations of undocumented immigrants. Today, that plan may be increasingly fraught with complications
In recent weeks, a tide of young, unaccompanied minors crossing the Texas border illegally has pushed the US immigration system to its breaking point. Unable to cope with the volume of children crossing the border without their parents, immigration authorities have had to find emergency solutions, such as housing thousands in a San Antonio Air Force base, a California Navy base, and a makeshift detention center in Nogales, Ariz.
The Associated Press reported that the Nogales warehouse was running out of supplies.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...rt-Obama-video
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Future Dems Continue to Stream Across Southern Border

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:38 am

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Nope. Ned's right. Nothing in there about children.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 am

I always get a kick out of Republicans describing Mexican immigrants as "future Democrats" because the only real reason they become Democrats is because of the hatred heaped on them by Republicans. Hispanics tend to be Catholic, pro-life, support traditional families and I'm guessing don't particularly like paying taxes any more than the rest of us. But it's hard to vote for a politician who refers to you or your family as "illegal".
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 am

pjbogart wrote:I always get a kick out of Republicans describing Mexican immigrants as "future Democrats" because the only real reason they become Democrats is because of the hatred heaped on them by Republicans. Hispanics tend to be Catholic, pro-life, support traditional families and I'm guessing don't particularly like paying taxes any more than the rest of us. But it's hard to vote for a politician who refers to you or your family as "illegal".

Dam it I just had the exact same point brewing. The GOP is more important than Catholicism and the teachings of Christ. Discuss.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 am

pjbogart wrote:I always get a kick out of Republicans describing Mexican immigrants as "future Democrats" because the only real reason they become Democrats is because of the hatred heaped on them by Republicans. Hispanics tend to be Catholic, pro-life, support traditional families and I'm guessing don't particularly like paying taxes any more than the rest of us. But it's hard to vote for a politician who refers to you or your family as "illegal".

Damn pesky laws!
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:45 am

The GOP constantly complains about immigration, but refuses to advance any meaningful reform.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The GOP constantly complains about immigration, but refuses to advance any meaningful reform.

For once Hank makes a good point. Both parties use the illegals as cynical political pawns. The nation suffers through broken, unenforced laws, a giant welfare burden, a giant prison burden and groups of people committing crimes who are unknown and untrackable within the system.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:24 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:The GOP constantly complains about immigration, but refuses to advance any meaningful reform.

For once Hank makes a good point. Both parties use the illegals as cynical political pawns. The nation suffers through broken, unenforced laws, a giant welfare burden, a giant prison burden and groups of people committing crimes who are unknown and untrackable within the system.

Why don't you worry about tackling crimes committed by people we can track, like Wall Street crime? Other than your racist nature, of course?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:50 am

wack wack wrote:Why don't you worry about tackling crimes committed by people we can track, like Wall Street crime? Other than your racist nature, of course?

I thought Fauxcahontas was taking care of those Wall St. Bad Boys??
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:54 pm

It seems here in Green County the influx of the border hoppers from Illinois has helped the "Dems".
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby manoletters » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:38 pm

It seems rather presumptuous to assume these "streamers" are all going to be future Democrats. But faced with the prospect of them joining either of the two major parties, I'd certainly hope they link up with the Donkeys.
manoletters
Forum Addict

Postby kurt_w » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

At least there is such a thing as "Future Dems".

A thread about "Future Reps" would be pretty terse. Aging angry white guys, basically. Not much of a future.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 pm

kurt_w wrote:At least there is such a thing as "Future Dems".

A thread about "Future Reps" would be pretty terse. Aging angry white guys, basically. Not much of a future.

Apparently they're getting even older and angrier, since a relatively unknown Teaper just knocked off Eric Cantor. My impression was that Cantor was both very conservative and kind of a dick. If he's not conservative enough for that constituency, what is? Going back to the British Empire?
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:01 am

What of it? say the documented liberals; ours is a rich and generous nation, we have room for all, let them come. And let them stay, say the conservatives; a large, cheap, frightened, docile, surplus labor force is exactly what the economy needs. Put some fear into the unions: tighten discipline, spur productivity, whip up the competition for jobs. The conservatives love their cheap labor; the liberals love their cheap cause. -Ed Abbey

http://compassrosebooks.blogspot.com/20 ... ation.html
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:06 am

"Put some fear into the unions?"

Which of the surviving remnants of the unions don't have any fear yet?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government