MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 44.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Penokee Hills

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Penokee Hills

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 am

Gogebic Taconite president downplays Spanish investigation of mine he previously managed

(Gogebic Taconite president Bill) Williams said he needed more information about the Spanish investigation before he could say how it might affect the plans and declined further comment. But he also downplayed the investigation.

"It's just opposition against the mining in that area," he said.

Cobre Las Cruces, which has a major copper mine in southern Spain, has been accused of contaminating an aquifer in the area with arsenic.

It's not unusual to have problematic levels of arsenic in water when mining, but it's not known whether that would be an issue with the Wisconsin mine, said Tom Evans, a retired geologist from the Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey.

Just the cost of doing business.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Now that asbestos containing rock has been found, Gogebic Taconite Mining wants to scale back sampling. Will the DNR object to that change in plans?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Geez, you'll have to ask Cathy Stepp.

Cathy, you think it's a good idea to not look in places asbestos was found in order to not find asbestos?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Leaked DNR report says mine poses threats to human health, water

Of course, Gogebic Taconite downplays any concerns.

“It just gives a laundry list of the kind of stuff you hear from protesters,” Gogebic Taconite spokesman Bob Seitz said. “There are some good people over there (at the DNR), but this demonstrates that there are some people who also have a bias against mining.”
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:03 pm

West Virginia's notoriously lax regulation of mineral extraction industries has resulted in a long record of environmental and human disasters. Enforcement is disorganized and loose, information is withheld, inspections are not required for facilities that in other states are inspected.

It's not surprising they had a big chemical spill that made clean water unavailable to a quarter of their population last week:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/01/13/us ... m=homepage

Industry is a powerful force in the state's politics and resists health, safety, and environmental controls.

Sound like Wisconsin under Walker? Is this really what we want for the state? WV is a good indicator of where we'll end up if we take their road.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:13 pm

Gogebic Taconite may soon have permission to start bulk sampling at iron mine site

A company that wants to dig a massive iron mine near Lake Superior appears close to obtaining a storm water permit that will allow it to widen and build new roads on the mine site to allow removal of 4,000 tons of rock for testing.

Meanwhile, a Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources air quality official said Wednesday that the agency decided it didn't have authority to regulate any possible asbestos-like material that may be exposed during the bulk sampling operation.
(Kristin Hart, a section chief in the DNR air management program said) "Nobody really thinks about incidental asbestos laying around."

Gogebic Taconite has stated it doesn't believe much of the cancer-causing material is present, and it has refused DNR requests for an accounting what it finds during bulk sampling. Company spokesman Bob Seitz didn't return phone calls Wednesday.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 pm

snoqueen wrote:West Virginia's notoriously lax regulation of mineral extraction industries has resulted in a long record of environmental and human disasters. Enforcement is disorganized and loose, information is withheld, inspections are not required for facilities that in other states are inspected.

It's not surprising they had a big chemical spill that made clean water unavailable to a quarter of their population last week:

Industry is a powerful force in the state's politics and resists health, safety, and environmental controls.

Sound like Wisconsin under Walker? Is this really what we want for the state? WV is a good indicator of where we'll end up if we take their road.

What Sno said.

Allowing this mining company to continue with their track record for environmental and human health damage is nothing less than, well, disastrous to life in Wisconsin as we know it.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm

It looks like Walker's secretively-written industry tailored bill to facilitate Gogebic Taconite's mine in the Penokee Hills is in such poor conformance with federal environmental standards that it makes the mine an unlikely bet.

And certain legislators warned all along this was the case, but Walker's people ignored them in their rush to pass a so-called "jobs" bill as an election approached. Or something.

Now a respected pro-business publication has called the Walker gang out on it.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/purple-wi ... z2skV5d0xg

To get the best of this one you need to click the two or three links in the article. But to make a long story short, the mining interests' alliance with the Repubs and everybody's disregard for warnings issued by more moderate and experienced hands has pretty much self destructed, leaving the Rs with no jobs, the mine with a snowball's chance in hell, and go-getters at Gogebic looking pretty amateur.

Of course we knew that from the moment the mine company hired some real estate dude in Arizona to run security at the mine site, and the guy didn't know enough to check on the state laws he needed to follow. But the question remains: who used whom? Did Walker use Gogebic? Did Gogebic try to use Walker, and get bit on the ass because Walker was too clueless/aggressive/self-promoting to tell them they were painting themselves into a corner with their fancy legislation? Or did all these playas get blindsided by the foreseeable reality the bottom has fallen out of this particular market?

Last, who would ever, ever vote for this con artist for President?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 pm

snoqueen wrote:Last, who would ever, ever vote for this con artist for President?

The same folks who voted for Romney.....
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:38 pm

david cohen wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Last, who would ever, ever vote for this con artist for President?

The same folks who voted for Romney.....

Or the same people who voted for Walker for governor
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby savebiddy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Lily wrote:
snoqueen wrote:West Virginia's notoriously lax regulation of mineral extraction industries has resulted in a long record of environmental and human disasters. Enforcement is disorganized and loose, information is withheld, inspections are not required for facilities that in other states are inspected.

What Sno said.

Allowing this mining company to continue with their track record for environmental and human health damage is nothing less than, well, disastrous to life in Wisconsin as we know it.

Not much we can do to stop them. I can't even protest at the Capitol - the very house of the people itself! - without ending up in jail or fined. We cannot beat back the moneyed interests.
savebiddy

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Iron County is having elections for their county board and the mine is the big issue. The Koch brothers have gotten involved and are trashing seven candidates for being environmentalists and anti-mine and anti-jobs. But the bros didn't do a good job of vetting the candidates, leaving one very upset over the Koch's intrusion into the election campaign.

However, one of those targeted on the mailer, Town of Saxon Assistant Fire Chief Karl Krall, said he is actually a strong proponent of the mine, and he is puzzled and angry about being described as a job-killing radical on the mailer sent to his friends, neighbors and potential voters in the district where he is a candidate.

"I couldn't believe that someone who is pro-mine and for this wouldn’t do the research on the people they are sliming in the mailing," Krall said. "Is that the kind of people we want supporting the mine if that’s the kind sloppy research they did?"

Oops!
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:31 am

Indian tribes trying to stop the mine.

On Wednesday, northern Wisconsin’s Chippewa Federation of Tribes led a group of tribal leaders from Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota to meet with federal regulators in Michigan and discuss halting the Gogebic Taconite mine in northern Wisconsin.
“We are formally requesting that you initiate a public process to protect our treaty rights as well as the aquatic resources, fisheries, wildlife, subsistence and public uses in the Bad River Watershed from metallic mining, including a potential Gogebic Taconite mine,” said Bad River Band chair Mike Wiggins Jr. in a May 27 letter to EPA officials. “Such a request is not unprecedented and is well within your authority.”

The proposed mine is located in ceded territory, an area that covers roughly the upper third of Wisconsin. That means the tribes located in this area have specific rights over the natural resources, including hunting and fishing rights.

“The actions of the mining company and the Wisconsin’s regulatory process … leave us with little assurance that science and law will be wielded in a transparent and just manner to protect our lands and waters,” said Wiggins in the letter to the EPA.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:52 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:50 pm

How to buy a mine in Wisconsin

Of course strictly speaking GTac's $700,000 wasn't to buy a mine, it was to buy the privilege of writing the legislation that would allow a mine (and plenty of other mischief as well). Sort of like Tom Sawyer charging his friends for the honor of painting a fence. Not that Governor Virtuous Transparency would know anything about shady dealings like that!
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government