MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

The Drunkards Scoreboard

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

How many days/nights a week do you drink?

Every day/night
22%
Three to six a week
33%
Once or twice a week/weekends only
27%
Few times a month/rare binge
13%
Who needs booze when there's heroin?
4%

Total votes : 45

Postby emmy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:15 pm

Entropy's Stagger wrote:Suppose since I started this thing I should chip in.
As far as titles go, I'm surely the definition of a functional alky. In the past 16 years there's probably a total of 10 days where I didn't drink. Fortunately, over the years I've mellowed. What I call, Survival Moderation kicked in after 10 years of heavy heavy drinking at 30 when I almost drown in a river tubing accident involving a case of Bud and a thermos of Port. And, ya know, life is grand. Survival Moderation truely allows one to have their rum cake and eat it too. One rule has always stood and always will. There's drinking time, and then there's work time. I've never drank at work, and have never lost a job or had any negative effects of being a drinker come to pass. Why? 'Cause I'm a fart smucker! Drink up, but don't drive or work. Naturally, I always seek out a living place that has a bar within walking distance. Right now I have a brewery up the street. Life is good. Oh, and I don't drink Bud anymore. I love them Wisconsin beers. Leinenkugel's, Tyranena, Capitol. Good shit maynard. Plus me and my best lady dig that wine too. Good reds. Wollersheim Port is fucking awesome! The regular liqour, the daily drinkin' stuff is Cutty Sark. Every now and then we'll treat ourselves to a big bottle of Beefeater or Chivas Regal. Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! Hell all this talk is making me really thirsty.

Cheers mi amigos!

And remember; A little alcohol fixes everything. An excess of alcohol will fuck it all back up again.

This is my point exactly. I have been trying to tell a (former, I think) friend of mine this. He doesn't need to give me his "holier than thou" attitude because he gave up drinking. I am perfectly happy in my slightly buzzed condition in the evenings, I don't drink and drive, I don't drink at work, I don't see any negatives to my drinking. Well, except maybe for 5-7 pounds I might lose if I gave it up, but I'd rather be a slightly pudgy drunk than an uptight skinny tee totaler like he's become. So there.
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby emmy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:42 pm

BTW, thanks for posting that link about Jack Daniels. I have now discovered "www.drunkard.com". It is HILARIOUS!! thank you thank you I may not be on this board so much now, I'll be reading Modern Drunkard Magazine!! Love the 86 rules of drinking... :lol:
emmy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:58 pm

No sweat emmy. Yeah, I got a total kick out of it too. I'm working on a piece to submit to the thing here soon.

And yes, nothing is worse than someone who has quit something and feels better by telling everyone else they should too. Fuck those jerks. The ex-drinkers and smokers are as bad as the ex-agnostics.

Damn am I glad there's only an hour left before I go home. I think that bottle of E&J VSOP needs a cork removal this evening over a reexamination of Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd.

Cheers!
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:49 pm

Brrraaaaaaaaaaahhppppp!!!

Pardon me.
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:23 pm

I'm having a cold one right now.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:55 pm

Me too, and I'm still at work.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nickled&dimed » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:00 pm

I miss the drive through liquor sheds of my youth.
nickled&dimed
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:00 pm

Doctors now say drinking an occasional beer or glass of wine can extend your life.
I guess I'm going to be immortal.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:08 am

What's up with you lightweights who only drink 6 nights a week? Whatever happened to commitment and dedication?
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:05 pm

spanky wrote:What's up with you lightweights who only drink 6 nights a week? Whatever happened to commitment and dedication?

One the seventh day I rest.
I do heroin.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:30 pm

blunt wrote:One the seventh day I rest.
I do heroin.

You should switch to opium. It's easier on the veins and ... the dreams! Ah, the dreams!

Plus thanks to the warlords in Afghanistan the stuff's supposedly in great supply and cheaper than ever.

Gotta love those warlords ....
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:31 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
blunt wrote:One the seventh day I rest.
I do heroin.

You should switch to opium. It's easier on the veins and ... the dreams! Ah, the dreams!

Plus thanks to the warlords in Afghanistan the stuff's supposedly in great supply and cheaper than ever.

Gotta love those warlords ....

The terrorists always look so much hotter than our boys:
black gloves, mysterious masks, flowing robes cinched at the waist... leaping up out of holes in an ambush....
Ooh!
The Nazis dressed nice, too.

Oh: and isn't it caviar dreams?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:46 pm

I drink, therefore I am.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:13 pm

Again, in Homer Jay style:

"Mmmmmmmmm Opium. . ."
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Postby Entropy's Stagger » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:15 pm

Or, in the immortal (kinda) words of Frank Sinatra:

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Entropy's Stagger
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails