MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

What The Hell Is Wrong With Prof. Wagstaff?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

What The Hell Is Wrong With Prof. Wagstaff?

Does far too many drugs...
No votes
Does far too few drugs...
21%
Is allergic to brevity...
31%
Glued to his computer chair...
14%
Actually Prince...
14%
Wishes he were Prince...
7%
Unable to distinguish wheat from chaff...
14%

Total votes : 29

Postby atwoodian » Tue Nov 09, 2004 4:56 pm

Sorry Prof, can't help. I'm still in shock at the number of forons who think Prince is any good. Can't stand the stuff myself.
atwoodian
Forum God/Goddess

Postby purplepenquin » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:08 pm

atwoodian wrote: I'm still in shock at the number of forons who think Prince is any good. Can't stand the stuff myself.

I always thought Prince was "ok"...had a few good songs, had a few crappy songs, but nothing to get worked up over either way. I admired his attitude, and loved the way he'd do a makeover on the PopMusicGals, but overall I thought he just played so-so.

Then I was handed a copy of a bootleg called "Small Club - 2nd Show that Night" and was just totally floored. Made me look at him in a totally different light.
purplepenquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:46 pm

PurplePenquin wrote:Then I was handed a copy of a bootleg called "Small Club - 2nd Show that Night" and was just totally floored. Made me look at him in a totally different light.

In all seriousness, PP, and all previous squabbles aside, a Price concert is something special to behold. The wife (then girlfriend) and I were lucky enough to score fourth-row center seats a few years back when he played the Milwaukee Auditorium. The man put on a 3+ hour show that was high-energy all the way. The highlight for me: Prince struts to the front of the stage sporting a standard Telecaster, rips out a badass solo and then turns away from the crowd as he whips the guitar high into the air toward the pit where it's dutifully caught by one of henchmen. Unreal. Total fuckin' rock 'n' roll. Wags was there and I know he'll back me up on this. You'd never guess the dude was in his forties. Later on he hand-picked some folks from the front of the crowd to come onstage and shake their asses.

A Prince show is a multi-ethnic, all-ages party like none other I've ever witnessed. I've seen him three times and would do so again in a heartbeat at almost any price (that I could afford, that is).

Later that night he played an aftershow party at a Milwaukee bar which I was, sadly, not hip to. Not sure I could have survived it anyhow. Dude must have logged five or more hours putting out that night. He's the real deal. No shit.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby purplepenquin » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:31 am

Chuck_Schick wrote: In all seriousness, PP, and all previous squabbles aside, a Price concert is something special to behold. The wife (then girlfriend) and I were lucky enough to score fourth-row center seats a few years back when he played the Milwaukee Auditorium. The man put on a 3+ hour show that was high-energy all the way.

Bob Barker is something else. I had no idea he took his gameshow on the road. That must have been a good time.

Seriousily, everyone keeps telling me what an outstanding performer Prince is and I do hope to catch him live sometime soon. I was all set to see him a couple months (?) ago, but then real life got in the way.

I'm gonna guess you have a copy of that bootleg I mentioned. If not, perhaps we can keep the hatchet buried for a lil' bit more and I'll getcha a copy....
purplepenquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:51 am

PurplePenquin wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: In all seriousness, PP, and all previous squabbles aside, a Price concert ...

Bob Barker is something else.

D'okay, you got me. If you wanna know how clumsy I really am, I'd written this response once already and then accidentally switched off my laptop before hitting submit. I hate it when that happens. So I was typing like a bat outta hell and apparently not well.

I'm gonna guess you have a copy of that bootleg I mentioned. If not, perhaps we can keep the hatchet buried for a lil' bit more and I'll getcha a copy....

Actually, I've never been much of boot collector because they're usually expensive and I'm usually cheap. Plus, you never quite know how they'll sound. I must confess I'm intrigued, but how do I know this isn't a trap ... heh ... just kidding ... I think ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pongoid » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:00 pm

Completely off topic Chuck,

But the post about that Conservative Assemblyman where you called him a "turd fondler" was hilarious!!
I don't know if you made up that phrasing but I am definitely gonna use it.
Its right up there with Butt Nuggett and Your Uncle Rapes Collies.
Pongoid
Forum Addict

Postby purplepenquin » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:11 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote: D'okay, you got me.

Given our past, please let me point out that it was a VERY friendly jab...after all, I am the last person to give someone a hard time over spelling/typos. The mental pic of you and Prof getting all worked up over the words "Come on down!" gave me a chuckle...

Actually, I've never been much of boot collector because they're usually expensive and I'm usually cheap.

It was given to me for free, so that's how much I'd want for a copy of it.

and no, it ain't a trap at all...I don't wanna "get you" anymore than you wanna "get me".(Is this where you say "Damn! He's THAT pissed at me?!"<grin>)

All cyper-fueds aside, I love to share hard-to-find music and I am serious when I say I'll burn a copy and get it to you somehow...If the thought of actually meeting up with a stinkin' dirty hippie (saidwithagrinandnotwithascowl) bothers ya, I could hand it off to a third-party or something...or maybe stash it behind a game at The Arcade.

Drop an email if you wanna....for real.
purplepenquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:08 pm

Pongoid wrote:Completely off topic Chuck,

But the post about that Conservative Assemblyman where you called him a "turd fondler" was hilarious!!
I don't know if you made up that phrasing but I am definitely gonna use it.

Actually I stole it from Chuck Barris. If you haven't read Confessions of a Dangerous Mind you really owe it to yourself to do so.

Its right up there with Butt Nuggett and Your Uncle Rapes Collies.

Actually, it's "your uncle molests collies." It's a minor point, I know, but I'm a stickler for detail.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:23 pm

PurplePenquin wrote:All cyper-fueds aside, I love to share hard-to-find music and I am serious when I say I'll burn a copy and get it to you somehow...

Hey, Penquin, I did some searching online to see what tracks were on this thing and it looks like I do have copies of these tunes. I was a member of the NPG Music Club for awhile (because I'm that big a geek) when Prince was making a lot of his stuff available for download and it looks like this show is among the live tracks I got out of that deal, or much of it anyway. Prince strikes me as the sort of guy who probably records every show he plays and I'm betting he decided to put out "legit" versions of some of the more popular bootleg stuff to undercut the market.

So no need to burn a copy for me. But I sincerely appreciate the offer.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mikey K » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:19 am

atwoodian wrote:Sorry Prof, can't help. I'm still in shock at the number of forons who think Prince is any good. Can't stand the stuff myself.

Mark 2 in the 'nay' column...
Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What The Hell Is Wrong With Prof. Wagstaff?

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Bump.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:41 am

This thread has languished for years and needs a bump? Well, better late than never to point out that the statement "brevity is wit" is wrong. Shakespeare wrote "brevity is the soul of wit." If brevity were truly wit, then Wagstaff's alleged girlfriend would have said that he was very witty in bed.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 am

There is nothing "wrong" with Prof. Wagstaff, he's just differently enabled.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Dont feel bad or panic Prof....my Grateful Dead mix disc takes 6 CDs just to cover ONE SONG;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 pm

david cohen wrote:Dont feel bad or panic Prof....my Grateful Dead mix disc takes 6 CDs just to cover ONE SONG;)

Oh, so you didn't get it all?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music