MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

State Street Riot

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

How to take the trouble out of State Street Holloween?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:04 pm

Close the Street at 2:30
4%
Curfew at midnight
21%
Let bars stay open all night or until 4 or 5
75%

Total votes : 24

State Street Riot

Postby Jattpw » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:04 pm

I was on State Street at about midnight on Saturday and the biggest thing Police had to do was pose for pictures with half naked women. Not a bad job.

Then I hear that after 3 a.m. all hell broke loose. Why can't people just have fun? And what does the City have to do to make this a fun party with out the violence at the end?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Eastsider » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:50 pm

charge admission to State St. for non-Madison residents
Eastsider
Forum Addict

write-in vote

Postby Dodge » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:04 pm

My vote:

Set up checkpoints at the Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota borders (anyone who comes in through the U.P. must want to get here real bad). Bar anyone who can't correctly pronounce:
"Muscoda", "Oconomowoc", "Wonewoc", and "Berlin"
or who says "kiddo," from entering the state.
Dodge
Forum Addict

Re: State Street Riot

Postby lunatic fringe » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:27 pm

Jattpw wrote:And what does the City have to do to make this a fun party with out the violence at the end?

I think they should start selling cheap beer out on the street like they used to. Get everyone really fucking drunk....no one will have the energy to throw bricks after throwing up.

Nowdays, the bars are too full, the drinks are too expensive and these punkass outoftowners feel the need to get something out of their trip to the big city.

The police and the crats ruined the Halloween party on State Street. Just like they ruined the party on Mifflin Street. Nice going assholes.
lunatic fringe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:34 pm

They needed something to attract people to after the bars closed. I would suggest a massive barbeque or chili event--open the Rathskeller and let people come in and eat really cheap.
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:53 pm

State law determines when bars close. The later closing option is out. Both years the problem has come from about 100-200 hardcore idiots. Some ideas: (1) A huge police presence at bar closing, shut down State Street after closing. (2) Free bus rides/cab rides to dispersed points where alcohol-free entertainment could be offered, and people could sober up. (3) An organized Halloween event that requires adequate security.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:59 pm

Donald wrote:State law determines when bars close. The later closing option is out.

It does? It is?
What about New Year's, when bars routinely stay open past 2? Is that written into the State Law or has Madison circumvented it for one night but can't do it for another? And, if true, why is Mayor Dave unaware of this - he was quoted as saying he would consider staggering bar times or eliminating it altogether.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:09 pm

Professor, I thought you knew everything. :P

State law allows longer hours New Year's Eve.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eratik » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:49 pm

Wis. Stat. sec. 125.32(3)(a):
"No premises for which a Class "B" license or permit is issued may remain open between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m., except as provided in this paragraph and par. (c). On Saturday and Sunday, the closing hours shall be between 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. On January 1 premises operating under a Class "B" license or permit are not required to close."

(By the way, sub. (c) says: "Hotels and restaurants the principal business of which is the furnishing of food and lodging to patrons, bowling centers, indoor horseshoe-pitching facilities, curling clubs, golf courses and golf clubhouses may remain open for the conduct of their regular business but may not sell fermented malt beverages during the hours specified in par. (a)." so it's not really important here.)
eratik
Forum Addict

Location: Like kinda by the East Side, but not really on the East Side

Postby Black Hawk » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:06 pm

I wasn't at all surprised that the drunken hordes unleashed onto State St. at bar time on Halloween weekend went berserk. The same thing happens on a much smaller scale almost any football weekend in downtown Madison. I now avoid State St. like the plague at that hour, having narrowly avoided prejectile vomiting, tossed bottles/pitchers, and curbside brawls on more than one occasion.

Meanwhile - in a galaxy far far away - other more civilized countries do not set themselves up for such alcohol-induced disasters with mandated bar closing times (though they do host World Cup soccer matches). Is such an absurd state statute some throwback to the Prohibition Era? Why not allow bars to stay open 24 hours a day, have some extra mattresses on hand, and roll out a greasy breakfast buffet the morning after?
Black Hawk

Keep music going on the Mall til late...

Postby bmasel » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:43 pm

But make sure it's a not very good Grateful Dead cover band.

Watch the crowd dwindle.
bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Daisy » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:02 am

Black Hawk wrote:Meanwhile - in a galaxy far far away - other more civilized countries do not set themselves up for such alcohol-induced disasters with mandated bar closing times (though they do host World Cup soccer matches).
I agree with the idea of ending bar time, but stop talking out of your ass. Have you ever even been to the kind of soccer match you invoke, especially when England, Germany, or Italy are playing? You have situations involving a little more than some broken windows, including corpses being carried out of the stands on stretchers. To cite the world of soccer - which I love - as an example of good crowd control is plain ignorant.
Black Hawk wrote:Why not allow bars to stay open 24 hours a day, have some extra mattresses on hand, and roll out a greasy breakfast buffet the morning after?
And you'll pick up the tab for the business owners providing this largesse, I suppose?
Daisy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:42 am

How about getting out the fire hoses instead of the pepper spray? That ought to bring them to their senses. That's how the bigger cities handle crowd control. Besides it could get more interesting. All those young bodies having to towel off. :lol:
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Who's State Street Is It? My State Street

Postby altuniverse » Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:55 am

Nobody I know in Madison wanted to be down there when the bars went out. Nobody wanted to around the riot we all thought was going to happened. And it did. And it will again if you encourage throngs of drunk people. Didn't anybody watch "Woodstock": Stoned people mellow, drunk people violent.

Stop it now. My city is being wrecked every year and it makes me cry.

Have bars on State Street close at 30 minute intervals on party nights, and let them rotate for the future years so each with have a late night and each with have an early night as time goes on. Get the cops to put them in cabs and off the street before the next when is let out. And don't make a party. Don't organize anything except more cops.

No more. I give the city one more year, else us citizens will have to take to the street and police the drunk Gophers ourselves.
altuniverse

Re: Who's State Street Is It? My State Street

Postby Dulouz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:03 am

altuniverse wrote:.

Stop it now. My city is being wrecked every year and it makes me cry.

The city is hardly wrecked. A few insured windows got smashed and the cops got to practice putting down a riot and justify their inflated budget. If you really need to wring your hands, talk about the number of pedestrians killed this year, the number of murders and violent crime. I really get sick of this moralizing crap. :roll:
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government