MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Why do you celebrate the season?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

To celebrate the Winter Solstice
22%
To celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ
13%
To celebrate the rededication of the Second Temple
No votes
To celebrate the pretty lights and holiday cheer
22%
I don't, leave me alone
22%
Other (feel free to enlighten us in the post below)
22%

Total votes : 23

Postby Smartypants » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:27 am

As we head off into the Holiday ether, I thought I'd leave this article behind to stain the DPF. It's well written and spot on, at least to me.

My answer to the poll: To celebrate the pretty lights and holiday cheer.

'Revolt' makes season a lot less merry
by Eric Zorn

Revealing moments in the radio talk-show debate over Christmas, part one:

Jeff from Memphis, calling the nationally syndicated, Chicago-based program "Beyond the Beltway" (on radio station WLS) Sunday night:

"Merry Christmas! When I was a child, coming from a Christian family it was Christmas ... But now it's been taken over by the Kwanzaa group and some of these other radical groups. ... We already have Black History Month. Why didn't this guy, in California in 1966, put his, quote, holiday, Kwanzaa into Black History Month? Why did he try to interject it [in] a Christian holiday?"

Ooo, "the Kwanzaa group" is it now? And how could they dare try to glom onto the Christian merriment instead of finding their own niche on the calendar?

Well, maybe because "the Christmas group" pulled the same sneaky trick in the 4th Century. Even though scriptural clues put Jesus' birth in the warmer months--September, many scholars say--Christian leaders set the date for celebration to coincide with existing celebrations tied to the winter solstice.

Zagmuk, observed by ancient Mesopotamians, for instance. Sacaea, observed by Babylonians and Persians; Saturnalia, observed by the Romans; Kronos, observed by ancint Greeks; Yule, observed by pre-Christian Germanic people, and so on.

Hanukkah has expanded to meet the cultural challenge of Christmas that Kwanzaa addresses, as it has in recent years the secular humanist celebration of HumanLight and the pop-cultural celebration of Festivus.

Jesus is not "the reason for the season," as so many from "the Christmas group" have smugly informed me in recent weeks. The return of the sun in this hemisphere is the reason for the season, and there are many ways to celebrate it.
<snip>

...The rest is here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... i-news-hed

Happy Holidays!
Smartypants
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:38 am

I celebrate Christmas because I like buying gifts for my nephews. It's also that special time of year when the Vikings traditionally implode and fail to make the playoffs despite starting out 8-0.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:43 am

Hey you forgot Saturnalia!

Actually those "Jesus is the reason for the season" signs make me cringe. Can't they realize that there are other people with other reasons for celebrating? I was contemplating making some secular seasonal signs to counterbalance those.

The person in our neighborhood who has the Jesus sign up also has a big xmas tree in their living room, which seems rather contradictory, given that that is a pagan symbol co-opted by the church...

I celebrate the Solstice because it means the days are getting longer and spring is returning, while at the same time that several months of winter are ahead of us. I love living in a place that has four distinct seasons, each with their own pleasures.

I celebrate the season of giving, of telling people how much they mean to you (but not by getting gifts because you have to). I love getting xmas cards with pictures and little letters inside.

I celebrate the food and the lights and the displays and the music. I celebrate the calm at work, and the bustle at home.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:01 am

I had no idea that by saying "happy holidays" all my life, I was posing such a threat to Christianity.

So to let the healing begin, I will now say:
Happy holidays, for Christ's sake.

Oh, and pj, a merry Viking-implosion to you.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:36 am

I live with a Christmas NUT. You know how WOLX only plays Xmas songs from the day after Thanksgiving? That is all he listens to (have to drive separately this time of year). We have a giant lit wreath that he made on the kitchen wall and another in our living room bay window. He had to cut about two feet off the top of the tree to get it to fit and we live in an old farmhouse with really high ceilings. Roping is everywhere, including "Merry Xmas" spelled out in roping with multi-colored lights on the outside of the house. This escalates every year, I can see lawn ornaments in my future. It's a lot of fun, though.

I celebrate friends.
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lower miscreant » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 am

I like to promote holiday cheer ala "Bad Santa" with Billy Bob Thorton. "Fuck me Santa, fuck me Santa!"
lower miscreant

Postby Uncle Fester » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:59 am

I like the lights, presents, trees, ornaments, music, and holiday cheer.

I also like the part where Linus says, "For behold, I bring you tidings of great joy...and on Earth peace, goodwill toward men."

Fester, Hopeful Agnostic

Happy Holidays All!
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:05 pm

Other.

I actually curse the Winter Solstice. Days too short and way too cold. I'm celebrating by leaving for warm, sunny St. Martin on Xmas day.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lascow » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:56 pm

Other

I celebrate hanging out with good friends and drinking cheap vodka... unless of course someone wants to bring me the good stuff! :lol:
Lascow
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:07 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: I'm celebrating by leaving for warm, sunny St. Martin on Xmas day.

Bastard.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:15 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I'm celebrating by leaving for warm, sunny St. Martin on Xmas day.

Damn... I'm leaving for warm, sunny Iowa today and my father has already told me I have two trees to turn into firewood. Worse yet, they're hard as a rock Black Walnuts.

I'll be spending Christmas eve in subzero weather with a chainsaw as company.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:57 pm

pjbogart wrote:I'll be spending Christmas eve in subzero weather with a chainsaw as company.

Sounds Fargo-esque.

Will there be a wood chipper involved too?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:10 pm

I will be visiting my family giving them re-gifts seeing as a comsumption based holiday is against my principals. It's about being with my family, that's about it for me.
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:55 am

(yeah, I know I'm a day late... I was busy with the Feats of Strength yesterday)
Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:08 pm

mrak wrote:
Oh, and pj, a merry Viking-implosion to you.

Looks like his prediction was right on :-)
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines