22%
Wingra
22%
What the hell is the 4th lake, anyway?
6%

Total votes : 18

Which lake?

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:06 pm

I lived across the street from B.B. Clarke for years, and my office is on Monona, so I love that lake. But I'm a Mendota girl at heart, despite the fact that when I lived on Castle Place I'd sometimes be awakened by the sewer stink of rotting weeds. Seriously, the smell would wake me up and I'd have to close my windows. How can plants smell like poo?

If I had three wishes, I'd definitely spend one on taking Mendota back to its pre-eutrophic state so we could all swim and sail in yuck-free bliss.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:11 pm

I could use a light diversion. I grew up in Middleton, swimming at Spring Harbor and Mendota Pk., bobbin' around in a big inner tube. Picnic Point is worth preserving and I've still got that old black and red poster from years ago. I've had some good times at Lake Wingra and Mendota. Waubesa is the one you're forgetting. Get a seat at the Green Lantern and gaze out sometime. It's a nice old place. I've gotten very partial to Monona these last few years, especially at dawn, but sunset is pretty nice too. I'm a little surprised that developement hasn't encroached across the isthmus toward Mendota. No high rises allowed on Lake Mendota?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:17 pm

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marge » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:16 pm

Wingra has always seemed much cleaner to me, and it gets points for being spring-fed.
Marge
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:28 pm

Mendota rocks. Growing up on the north side, we spent many a day at Warner Beach, Warner "Middle" parking lot when we were older and Governor's Island terrified that the "retards" from Mendota would get us. Not PC I know, but that's how little kids think.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:37 pm

When I first first met the woman who later became my wife, we went skinny dipping in Lake Wingra. That weed infested lake still holds a dear place in my heart.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:That weed infested lake still holds a dear place in my heart.

Huh ... maybe a talented SCUBA team could recover that for you if the fish haven't already picked it clean.

Oh wait ... I get it ...
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyr » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:59 pm

Growing up on Jenny St*, B.B. was our swim beach, we totally lived there in the summer. The lifeguards actually used to take us to drive in movies sometimes on Friday nights! We had our own permanent (for the summer) baskets back then, with this giant diaper-pin thingy you would attach to your suit while wearing and then they would use it to "secure" your basket when you changed.

Tenney was our winter hangout of course, skating usually about four nights a week. Tenney also had a summertime purpose though - we had forts in the Tenney woods. We furnished them with curbside trash from the Salvation Army outlet, then just across the Yahara.

I always remember Wingra as slimy when we would go to visit what I considered "west side kids" growing up (generally children of my mother's friends). I think for a long time I thought the name of it was Vilas.

I remember once skating all the way from the mouth of the Yahara to the Edgewater, we must have been 10 or 11 - and we were so cold! We asked to come in and warm up and they sat us (a group of about 8 young girls) at this round banquette/table and brought us hot chocolate. We felt like royalty!

Another (later) favorite memory is watching thunderstorms at night from the abandoned Edgewater boathouse, some weed, whites, and wine....

*For those of you who haven't been with us since dinosaurs roamed the earth, in a little aside, blunt and I have lived at the same address!

Foronkarmaghia!
cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:04 pm

cattyr wrote:I remember once skating all the way from the mouth of the Yahara to the Edgewater, we must have been 10 or 11 - and we were so cold! We asked to come in and warm up and they sat us (a group of about 8 young girls) at this round banquette/table and brought us hot chocolate. We felt like royalty!

That's quite possibly the coziest thing I have ever read.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:52 pm

My family usually had the boat out on Waubesa or Monona while I was growing up, but living downtown and keeping my canoe at james madison has turned me to mendota. It stays clearer than the other two, and it seems less urban. The water is colder, but not enough to keep me out. It is also easy to paddle down to the union for beer.
lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:56 am

The four lakes in order. They were named from South to North and Wingra was not part of the four.

First Lake: Kegonsa
Second Lake: Waubesa
Third Lake: Monona
Fourth Lake: Mendota
Last edited by bassbari on Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:00 am

bassbari wrote:Third Lake: Menona

"Menona"? Oh, I know-na what you meant...
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:03 am

kurt_w wrote:
bassbari wrote:Third Lake: Menona

"Menona"? Oh, I know-na what you meant...

Thanks. I got my "men" and "mon" mixed up there.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:38 pm

bassbari wrote:The four lakes in order. They were named from South to North and Wingra was not part of the four.

First Lake: Kegonsa
Second Lake: Waubesa
Third Lake: Monona
Fourth Lake: Mendota

No shit? I've lived here for almost twenty years and I can't tell you for certain where Kegonsa and Waubesa are.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:12 pm

There are lakes around here?
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All