MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Overheard at the Festival

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Overheard at the Festival

Postby GenericUsername » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:09 pm

Someone, anyone, hear some funny, stupid, or serious ramblings at the event?

Three come to mind:

Standing in line for Exiled, the guy in front of me on his cell phone telling his listener, "Yeah, I'm gonna see a cool kung fu movie!" (D'Oh! I wonder if he left the film...)

In line for Ten Canoes, a woman behind me: "Hey look, we're moving!" Man on cell phone, "We're finally moving. No, wait, it's just one person. Someone else said we were moving."

Walking out at the end of "Chalk," "It was so funny. That was a great movie."
GenericUsername

Postby TAsunder » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:46 am

I doubt they walked out of Exiled, it was a really slick Hong Kong gun film. Better than any John Woo films (I've always felt his movies were overrated - though I really love Chow Yun Fat).

Also standing in line for Exiled, I overheard an Italian and a Russian talking. They complained at great length about a previous film (I didn't catch the title) where shadows from the crew were shown in the film and a boom mike was shown. Normally I'd have suggested that the projectinist did not frame it properly, but they went on to say it couldn't have been a framing issue because the mike was between the heads of the speaking, around nose level. Sorry I missed that film!!

In line thursday, friday, and saturday, about 10 feet from the orpheum marquee, I was asked each night "What are you guys standing in line for?". A few people assumed all the coffee was from espresso royale and not steep & brew. Guess that didn't work out too well for them.

About 10 different comments comparing the orpheum curtain to a scene from the Illusionist or The Prestige.

I was fortunate to have spent an hour at the chocolate tasting event at Twee & Luliloo. Without going there and eating lots of calming chocolates, I'm not sure I could have survived the sax player's wailing. I am now thankful that I normally at least have a window to block the noise. Hearing it on the street, it's like being in some sort of personal hell. Why is she still playing christmas songs?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenericUsername » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:15 am

TAsunder wrote: I'm not sure I could have survived the sax player's wailing. I am now thankful that I normally at least have a window to block the noise. Hearing it on the street, it's like being in some sort of personal hell. Why is she still playing christmas songs?

I have no idea... because it's cold outside? Because her regular repetoire ran out? ;)

In line for Finishing The Game, [female] "God, I'm so drunk. What movie are we seeing again?" [male] "I don't remember."

This one is a second-hand comment told to me by a woman waiting for All The Days..., "Coming out of Into Great Silence I heard a guy say that it could have been cut in half and it would have been a better movie. But it goes to show how people interpret what they perceive a movie to be. But to me the movie meant to be a meditation." I had to agree with her on the observation of interpretation.
GenericUsername

Postby rrnate » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:18 am

This isn't really overheard, as it was said to me, but as I was leaving "El Topo", a friend of mine said "I feel like I just watched five bad movies in a row".

--nt--
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DedeTate » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:10 am

Waiting in line for All the Days: two ladies behind me were talking loudly about an acquaintance of theirs who was further up in line. "Do you think she'll save us seats?" "I don't know, maybe she didn't see us" "Well, she must have - we walked by her several times, and we're pretty hard to miss" "Maybe we should call her - do you have her number?" "No, do you?" (and on and on). This led me to theorize (without turning) about what made them so distinctive (besides incredibly loud voices and banal conversation). I decided not to find out.
DedeTate
Forum Addict

Yeah, sure, right over there!

Postby small cheese » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:18 pm

To a festival volunteer (who did not know the person asking):

"Do you know where my friends are?"
small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies