MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Festifal Favorite?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Festifal Favorite?

Postby TAsunder » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:46 am

I must say I am surprised to admit that my favorite from the festival was the Justin Lin flick, Finishing the Game. Considering my ambivalent thoughts on his last festival presentation, Better Luck Tomorrow, and the extreme disappointment of hearing that he didn't make it to the festival due to a cancelled flight, I'd say it was unexpected that I would like it that much.

Hilarious, stylish, and just a great time. I guess M.C. hammer can act after all! Second would be The District.

What were everyone else's favorites?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:08 am

i blew off the fest entirely and caught grindhouse again.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:42 am

'Something Like Happiness' on sunday afternoon was easily the best movie I've seen in years.

It was one I added while standing in line, so I'm glad the line took a while that day. If you like foreign & dramas, it doesn't get any better than this one.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:03 pm

My two favorites were Manufactured Landscapes and Into Great Silence.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 pm

I look after the kids so that my wife can max out on Indie Cinema during the film festival.

I think she liked "Ten Canoes" an aboriginal, ancestral parable about coveting your brother's wife! best.

"Chalk"-the teacher mockumentary also had the audience in stitches!

The Stinker of the festival (Acording to friendswho walked out on it) was "El Topo"-I warned them! but Nobody listens to Father!
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:50 pm

GenieU wrote:
The Stinker of the festival (Acording to friendswho walked out on it) was "El Topo"-I warned them! but Nobody listens to Father!

No offense, GU, but you and your friends are morons.

I went to the El Topo / Holy Mountain double feature, and it totally ruled.

I can see how it wouldn't be the cup of tea for someone who came to the festival to see some indie rom-com or a documentary about the plight of indigenous [fill in blank] in [fill in blank], but to call it 'the stinker of the festival' is to enshrine your own personal preference as some kind of objective standard of taste.

So, unless you want a whole heapin' helpin' of post-modernist theory fu unleashed on your ass, you'd best step da fuck off my boy Jodorowsky.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:02 pm

Please, just give me enough Po-mo something to explain why this flick is so compelling.

Personally it amuses me no end that the premise of a gun slinger in search of enlightenment by wasting his foes was ever taken seriously.

It has a definite time and place within the context of the disolution of the 60s-(as does early Heavy metal) But other than this it stikes me that this is a "B" (As in Bad!) movie made by a rather egotistical director.

Specifically tho' my friends couldn't deal with the rape scene-thats why they walked out.
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Po-mo enuff fo' yo, bro?

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:35 pm

GenieU wrote:Please, just give me enough Po-mo something to explain why this flick is so compelling.

Personally it amuses me no end that the premise of a gun slinger in search of enlightenment by wasting his foes was ever taken seriously.

It has a definite time and place within the context of the dissolution of the 60s-(as does early Heavy metal) But other than this it stikes me that this is a "B" (As in Bad!) movie made by a rather egotistical director.

Specifically tho' my friends couldn't deal with the rape scene-thats why they walked out.

I can dig it. The only movie I ever walked out on was Birth of a Nation, for similar reasons.

Jodorowsky is a classic avant garde film director, and that part of his technique centers around shocking and confronting is a hallowed avant garde tradition going back to Eisenstein. That the line between provocation and exploitation is inherently a thin one is certainly a topic open for discussion, and I think it's pretty obvious that Jodorowsky in particular practically begs for such a conversation - what with the armless people and the midgets and the slaughtered animals and the homophobia and the misogyny and shit.

But that Jodorowsky is a problematic director both says something and nothing - Leni Riefenstahl is nothing if not problematic, and she directed two of the unquestioned masterpieces of world cinema. That the viewer needs to maintain some critical (perhaps even antagonistic) awareness in order to successfully engage with a film like El Topo is only to underscore that film, in both its production and consumption, have a moral dimension.

So, while I think you could make a reasonable (although contemptibly bourgeois) argument for El Topo being a 'bad' film - i.e. one that threatens the moral equilibrium of the viewer - the fact is that within the genre (if you will) of avant garde film El Topo is anything but bad. Indeed, it looks fantastic - compared to something like Sins of the Fleshapods or an underground era John Waters film, El Topo is slick.

And while all the above mentioned things (rape, animal death, midgets) bothered me, in last analysis I liked El Topo, in much the same way that I like John Waters. Yes, El Topo is self-indulgent, and yes Jodorowsky has an immense ego - but that's just it; the difference between me and Jodorowsky is not the quality of our ideas (I'm definitely not ready to concede that he's somehow 'deeper' than I am based on the mystical shit in these two movies) but the strengths of our respective will. Jodorowsky gets supremely self-indulgent, egotistical movies made because he's supremely self-indulgent and egotistical; that's just how that happens.

One more thing; I really have to underline the following quote:

I would be amazed if Jodorowsky intended anything about El Topo to be 'taken seriously.'

PS - Legend has it that Jodorowsky and The Rolling Stones were collaborating on an adaption of Dune. It's truly a shame that it never came to pass - one can only imagine what the end result would have looked like.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenericUsername » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:52 pm

GenieU wrote:"Chalk"-the teacher mockumentary also had the audience in stitches!

I know you didn't mention whether your wife liked it or whether the audience thought it was great, but I agree that much of the audience was amused. And rightly so - it had a bunch of funny moments.

So, my take on the movie (see review in film forum) isn't directed at any one person or what they like, it's directed at the film itself. Humor alone doesn't make a great movie; but that's interpretation at its finest. I'm sure many people could connect with this film - especially teachers, TAs, administrators and the former job holders as well. It just wasn't for me.

Though, "Script Cops" (a short) definitely had the crowd in a laugh-grasp.
GenericUsername

Postby GenericUsername » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:04 pm

I think my top film was "Something Like Happiness." "Ten Canoes" and "Zidane" were close.
GenericUsername

Postby GenieU » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:13 pm

Ja Ja, Good answer about El Topo. Its also worth noting that Jab. is a comics artist-that also helps place it in some context.

Still I'ts not that I myself find the work offensive personally-its the ponderous symbolism of the era it came from that I find a bore...'s like listening to too much prog-rock...the thing is I knew My friends would hate it-Sorry but rape scenes, However symbolic, don't translate well for everyone for obvious reasons...The thing is that no-one likes to listen critics and hence they had to go and see it anyway.

So is it basiclly meaningless entertainment? or is there some way that it is still relevent today?
GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm

I only saw four films (Toots, Family Law, Zidane and Poison Friends), but Zidane is the one I'll remember most. Big Red One is still my favorite Fest viewing of all time, but I've never taken in the prime time screenings.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:55 pm

SEVERANCE was great. A scene shot from inside a mini-fridge showing a man trying to jam a severed leg into the fridge? but the leg is a bit too big so he has to bend the poor leg back and forth a bit to wedge it inside? Classic!
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:45 pm

GenieU wrote:
Still It's not that I myself find the work offensive personally-its the ponderous symbolism of the era it came from that I find a bore

[...]

So is it basically meaningless entertainment? or is there some way that it is still relevant today?

Well, that depends.

If you feel that our contemporary world is in a state of intense spiritual crisis, then it's still relevant.

If you don't, then it probably isn't.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby square » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 am

oh i'm so happy so many of you liked Å těstí (something like happiness)!!!!! I saw it in Brno, ČR last year and i swore it was one of my favorite movies of all time! (i speak czech) and then my friend got the movie through a euro indie dvd monthly mail order thing a couple months ago and so when i heard it was playing at the film festival i just about shit my pants. i love that movie. so much heartbreak, so much hope. it won sooooo many awards in the czech republic and it played well at toronto last year. i hope they get a us distro deal because of this.

if you ever watch any other czech films you'll be sure to recognize many of the actors, they're famous in europe and are in many of the czech language films (like divided we fall - Musíme si pomáhat) which is a fantastic movie.
square
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Movies