MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

So long trolleys!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

So long trolleys!

Postby admin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:31 pm

admin
Forum Addict

Postby spanky » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:46 pm

This blows, so much for multi-modal transportation in Madison.

So, now we will have no street cars, a proposed commuter rail route that doesn't even go to the airport, and a floundering metro system.

Greeeeeaaaaaaat :roll:
spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:55 pm

What happened? Did his secretary take his crayons away?
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulsewidth modulation » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:58 pm

spanky wrote:This blows, so much for multi-modal transportation in Madison.

Bike paths, roads, busses, and side walks are not enough?
pulsewidth modulation
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:59 pm

Ironically, I have not taken the time to build support for streetcars because I have been focused on more important priorities such as public safety, just the opposite of what has become a common misunderstanding.

So, the current state of the water utility and criminal activity is the result of too much focus? :?

Methinks we need a better administrator next time around.

One that might not flush $300k away without gauging public interest before doing so?
Last edited by Mister_A_In_Madison on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:00 pm

pulsewidth modulation wrote:

Bike paths, roads, busses, and side walks are not enough?

Dingus, those are all concrete-based modes.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lindsey Lee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:13 pm

While understandable, this is too bad.

I have been serving on the Streetcar Committee for the past year. At first, I was quite dubious about the concept. I then came to recognize the great potential they would have on encouraging redevelopment and at the same time, strengthening our city's core. This potential for spurring redevelopment could have helped directly pay for the system.

I do think the Mayor is right that there is not support for streetcars at this time.

Lets face it, if Madison proposes to do something it quickly gets labeled as being some crazy unrealistic idea.

As an example, except for a few straggling confederates, everyone now accepts that indoor public smoking will not be allowed. It is now just a matter of "when" this public policy will be fully enacted. Is it not funny how these debates can quickly change in two short years?

I am proud that at times, even though we are not a large city, Madison, WI can provide leadership and can encourage positive change.
------------------
Finally, I do believe that those communities that plan and invest for the future will be rewarded economically. There is no doubt that good transportation planning is key to embracing the future. It will be interesting to see if the greater Dane County community has the political will to do so.

Being an optimist, I think we will.
Last edited by Lindsey Lee on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey Lee

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Was this a temper tantrum, saying, if we don't want to buy the package, with the trollys, we get nothing? I doubt it. I think Transport 2020 needs more work. As for the comment by Dave, that he hasn't been promoting support for trollys, what the hell has he been yakking about?

I don't think he's going to take his ball and go home.

Maybe he is stung from the crime crowd and rightly so.

Hopefully we'll get a better plan.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:33 pm

Bwis53 wrote:As for the comment by Dave, that he hasn't been promoting support for trollys, what the hell has he been yakking about?

I'll repeat my question.

What happens more: does Cieslewicz start the discussion on trolleys, or does he have to respond to complaints?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Brenda Konkel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:As for the comment by Dave, that he hasn't been promoting support for trollys, what the hell has he been yakking about?

I'll repeat my question.

What happens more: does Cieslewicz start the discussion on trolleys, or does he have to respond to complaints?

For a while, you couldn't go anywhere without him mentioning trolleys. Then the campaign came and they "went dark" or at least tried to. By that point, he hadn't rallied supporters or convinced those that should be on his side that this was a good plan. It didn't help when he pissed off the Metro riders during a couple budgets. If he wasn't going to support Metro, alot of people weren't too happy to jump on a trolley support bandwagon . . . transportation has to be multimodal and the bus system is a core piece of that. I think people were afraid he'd sell out the bus system.
Brenda Konkel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:41 pm

This decision has renewed my respect for Mayor Cieslewicz. It must have been a very difficult decision for him to make but it was the right decision to make. Now it is important for all of us to stop the sniping and to work together in a positive way to move our community forward.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:58 pm

Brenda Konkel wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

I'll repeat my question.

For a while, you couldn't go anywhere without him mentioning trolleys. Then the campaign came and they "went dark" or at least tried to. By that point, he hadn't rallied supporters or convinced those that should be on his side that this was a good plan. It didn't help when he pissed off the Metro riders during a couple budgets. If he wasn't going to support Metro, alot of people weren't too happy to jump on a trolley support bandwagon . . . transportation has to be multimodal and the bus system is a core piece of that. I think people were afraid he'd sell out the bus system.

It was interesting to see the difference in the tone of the crowd between the first and second public meetings/workshops on the streetcar study.

The first was like a stereotypical revival meeting, while the second was... not.
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:12 pm

This idea was dead in the water from day one. Exactly how would this have gotten funded? Let's get back to some of the more practical issues at hand, such as rebuilding the city's drinking water infrastructure, and creating better incentives for people in Madison to use alternative transportation.
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:13 pm

So, now we will have no street cars, a proposed commuter rail route that doesn't even go to the airport, and a floundering metro system.

Greeeeeaaaaaaat :roll:

I, for one, would think that a floundering metro system might be a fun thing to watch or ride!
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:36 pm

With this news, what will the likes of pm do with their Trolley Dave pictures?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government