MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Crustacean Records SXSW Showcase Th 3/13

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Crustacean Records SXSW Showcase Th 3/13

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am

Normally gigs that are taking place 1,200 miles from our isthmus don’t get listed in hype exchange, but this one’s special. The first ever South by Southwest showcase by a Wisconsin record label is taking place at the Molotov Lounge the second night of the SXSW music festival and conference. The co-headlining acts, Peelander-Z and Birthday Suits, will also be celebrating the release of their upcoming split 7â€Â
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:49 am

Just further facts to try to get Madison folks to go on vacation to Austin, TX to see our showcase.

Bar prices in Austin can be considered quite equivalent to Madison. $3 gets you a 16 oz. can of cheap beer (Lonestar, PBR, Tecate, etc) because for some reason they just don’t believe in 12 oz. cans in Texas. A cocktail with mid-shelf booze costs about $5 and they usually mix them strong.

In addition there are tons of great unlisted free day shows many of which are sponsored by beer and liquor companies and feature free alcohol. Just wander around 6th Street in the afternoon and you will find worthwhile free shows and possibly free intoxicants.

Or if you don’t like the corporate schmooze during the day hang out at Fuck by Fuck You on Friday and Saturday afternoon. A fine event at the HQ of mi amigos at Australian Cattle God Records. $5 gets you in each day and includes all the Lonestar outta kegs you can stomach in addition to continuous music from three stages focusing heavily on stoner, noise, no-wave and tons and tons of brilliant Japanese bands.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Dane101 will be bringing a small contingent! We look forward to catching all of these acts off the home turf.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:02 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:Dane101 will be bringing a small contingent! We look forward to catching all of these acts off the home turf.

Right on! That's good to hear about another contingent of locals coming down to SXSW and attending the showcase. In addition to you folks from Dane 101 and the bands playing, we got the film crew from Hinckley Design to film it all and slap together as an extra feature on the Crustacean DVD coming out in July. So that's another perk of traveling to the showcase you likely will have another chance to be an extra on that DVD.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm

They just released a list of bands accepted into the official night time showcases at SXSW. Mind you a lot of bands playing day events or some of the huge acts appearing are not on this list.

Also Crustacean Records has been invited to be a part of the 2008 Indie Village sponsored by Nail Distribution and taking place in the convention center on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The list of the other labels participating is not released, but in years past huge indie labels like Relapse, Bloodshot and Victory have been a part of the Indie Village. It speaks well of SXSW, that 22 years in they are still willing to reach out to a relatively tiny Midwest record label like Crustacean and put us on equal footing with some of the largest indie labels out there.

We are having a going away party for some of our bands playing SXSW on Saturday March 8th with Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pons, The Gusto, and Ouija Radio at Glass Nickel Pizza. Please come out to pay the $5 cover and buy some merch since all the bands need to make some gas money for the 1,200 mile trip to Austin.

Lastly, Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pons is confirmed for a day show in Austin on Sunday March 16th at GayBiGayGay. Check out their myspace for details.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:49 pm

All official set times are out for SXSW this year. You can find our line-up for the Molotov Lounge show listed on Thursday. Also the full schedule of SXSW 2008 Indie Village has been released. It sure is surreal seeing our little crab logo up there with the graphics for Saddle Creek, Relapse, Bloodshot, Ryko, etc. If this is a dream, don’t pinch me.

Also Ouija Radio is playing day parties at Room 710 on both Th 3/13 and Sat 3/15. I am not sure of the set times, but I do know their Saturday show also features a free catered brunch. Birthday Suits are playing a second SXSW show at the Blind Pig Rooftop at 9:40 PM on Sat 3/15.

Madison is also represented in the Flatstock Poster Exhibition + Collectors Show with Firecracker Studios being featured in the showing. Congrats to those talented local artists and hooray more Sconsin folk to party with.

Really the only downside to SXSW 2008 is that Dolly Parton cancelled her appearance on Friday March 14th due to back problems. And no I’m not making that up.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:25 pm

A nice new article on the Daily Music Page about the showcase. Thanks Kristian!
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:55 pm

A beautiful new poster from Firecracker Studios to immortalize our showcase with amazing art. Thanks Sam!

Also a new article on the Daily Music Page from Cynthia of Screaming Cyn Cyn & The Pons previewing their trip to SXSW next week is available here.

I don't know all the details, but I do know via the TDP Cynthia from the Pons will be posting blogs and Hinckley Design will be sending up video from Austin to give you a flavor for SXSW from the Madison perspective even if you cannot be in Austin next week.

Maybe Joyce or someone else from the TDP can flesh out more details about that content coming next week on this here website.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sunspot_mike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 am

Sweet, we'll be performing down the street at 7, but we'll be down at the Molotov thursday night afterwards to check out the Wisconsin showcase!
sunspot_mike
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:38 am

sunspot_mike wrote:Sweet, we'll be performing down the street at 7, but we'll be down at the Molotov thursday night afterwards to check out the Wisconsin showcase!
What venue are you playing at 7 on Thursday? I will be in the neighborhood and should stop by. I know Ben picked me out of a crowd on 6th St. last year of the year before cause I was sporting a Killdozer shirt.

Here is the complete Crustacean Records SXSW 2008 ininerary. There is a fancier version on our MySpace Blog with hot links. I don't have time to do that now as I got packing to do and a long drive ahead. Here it is cut and paste:

Crustacean Records 2008 SXSW Itinerary

Wed March 12
6 PM Ouija Radio is to be interviewed by Roxanne Bauer of NPR. Regarding their fanciful name, how a female fronted rock band thrives and other topics.

Thur March 13
10 AM to 2 PM Voltage Fashion 2008 show at Room 710 featuring free admission and taco breakfast bar along with specials on bloody marys. Ouija Radio and Brithday Suits perform along with The Haves Have It, MC/VL, White Light Riot and ZibraZibra.

1 PM to 2 PM Crustacean Records first hours at the 2008 Indie Village, in the convention center being an active participant in the trade show.

8 PM to 2 AM Crustacean Records official SXSW showcase at Molotov Lounge. Droids Attack (8 PM), The Gusto (9 PM), Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pons (10 PM), Ouija Radio (11 PM), Birthday Suits (midnight) and Peelander-Z (1 AM). Also the release party for the new split 7" on Crustacean by Birthday Suits and Peelander-Z as well as the debut of the Crustacean Records SXSW 2008 sampler. Every patron receives a free sampler and vinyl giveaways between bands.

Friday March 14
3 PM to 4 PM Crustacean Records at 2008 Indie Village.

Saturday March 15
10 AM to 2 PM Saturday Morning Taco Hangover Party at Room 710 also featuring free taco bar, no cover charge and bloody mary specials. Performances from Crustacean Records artists Ouija Radio and Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pons along with Chooglin', The Strange Lights, MC/VL and His Mischief

2:30 PM to 3:30 PM Crustacean Records at 2008 Indie Village.

Sunday March 16
5 PM Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pons at GayBiGayGay, a DIY queer-friendly music festival. The party begins at 10 AM.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sunspot_mike » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 pm

We're looking to partying with everyone in the Madison contingent!

Here's our schedule (so far):

Mar 13 2008 7:00P Joe’s Bar and Grill
506 West Ave
Mar 14 2008 7:00P Joe’s Bar and Grill
506 West Ave
Mar 15 2008 1:30AM Trophy’s Invasion of the GoGirls
2008 S Congress Ave
Mar 15 2008 1:00PM Agave
415 E 6th St
Mar 15 2008 5:00P Bikini’s
6901 North IH-35
Mar 16 2008 2:00P The Parlor
100 E. North Loop

We're leaving tomorrow afternoon, see everybody down there! Feel free to call or email if you guys need anything (equipment, van breakdown, whatever)...

mike AT sunspotmusic DOT com
608 444 4819
sunspot_mike
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cfath » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:14 pm

did anyone see this on http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/

Back from SXSW: My favorite performances

My ears are still ringing and my feet are pretty numb from South by Southwest, but it was worth it -- all in all, I saw about 10 bands per day and ate a wheelbarrow-full of tacos.

Below is a rundown of my top 10 performances. David at Largehearted Boy is compiling a bunch of SXSW live music streams/downloads in this blog post, so if you want to hear what My Morning Jacket or Lightspeed Champion sounded like, go there now. (By the way, it was awesome meeting David in person at the Pop Candy meetup! Details to come.)

My top 10:

10. Yeasayer
9. Dawn Landes
8. A Place to Bury Strangers
7. Thurston Moore
6. Peelander-Z. This isn't just a band, it's performance art. If you ever get a chance to see these guys, don't waste the opportunity, and good luck following all of their stage directions. I still have no idea what they were saying, but I had a wonderful time trying to figure it out.
5. The Breeders
4. Lou Reed
3. The Whigs
2. R.E.M. at Austin City Limits
1. The Kills
cfath

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:22 am

I did not see that. Of course said blogger may have caught one of the other half dozen Peelander-Z SXSW shows. They were all over the place in Austin, but never fail to entertain.

Hinckley Design is making some of our showcase footage available on their website if anyone wants to take a look. On their news page they have portions of Screamin' Cyn Cyn & The Pon's set. On this page is footage of a couple Gusto songs from the Molotov. I recommend downloading instead of streaming unless you have a quick connection.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Hype Exchange