MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, January 30, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Why can't we vote anywhere?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Do you like the idea of regional ballots, ie you can vote anywhere within a region rather than just one pertucular polling place?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 12

Why can't we vote anywhere?

Postby persia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 am

I'm an American Australian, so I have a chance to observe the electoral process in two countries. In Australia I can vote anywhere on election day, doesn't matter where I live, I just walk into the poll and vote and they'll have a ballot for me. In America I can only vote in one place.

Now I can see that with America you have lots of local offices and it would be impossible to have a ballot for every election int he country, but why not a Dane County set of ballots. Every polling place in Dane County could have the ballots of every election in Dane County on hand. I live in Middleton but work in Madison, so I could vote at lunch time near work. You could even setup a sort of regional super center near places of work. Say East Town, West Town, Captital and Campus, where office workers could vote but there might not even be a local constituency.

Or even just city wide. Why do I have to go to one place in Middleton when there must be half a dozen places I could go to?

In the end I just opted to use a postal ballot, Middleton made that easy, I just tick 4 boxes and the ballots for all four elections come to me in the mail...
persia
Forum Addict

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 am

How would you prevent people from voting more than once?
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:05 am

Go to a polling place and you'll see why it won't work. There's no way we could muster such a sophisticated plan. We are lucky to have paper cut from actual trees instead of stone tablets.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 am

Michael Patrick wrote:How would you prevent people from voting more than once?

if this forum software can prevent registered users from voting more than once in a poll, surely someone can do the same for an election.

we have workers, we have an internet: fix it!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am

Not everyone in Dane County gets the same ballot. Some have primaries for county board supervisors. If voters show up at a polling place that is not in their district, they couldn't get the proper ballot. It would be unreasonable to have every district's ballots at every polling place.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:40 am

This seems like a case of "don't fix what ain't broken."

Is it really such a hardship to have to go to one particular polling place over any others? Of course not.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:47 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:This seems like a case of "don't fix what ain't broken."

Is it really such a hardship to have to go to one particular polling place over any others? Of course not.

With election ballots, the motto is much more convoluted. Something like, "Don't fix what ain't broken. And if it is broken, don't fix it. If you do for some reason try to fix something that's broken, make sure that fix costs millions of dollars and will break easily too so you'll have more work and can be sued later."
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:49 am

Of course, it would be nice if people were informed of the correct place to vote.

[url=http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/breaking_news/273174]
Incorrect polling place information was included in legal ads this week for several city of Madison wards.

The correct polling places for the following eight wards are:

Ward 5 (3rd aldermanic district on the far east side), Door Creek Church, 6602 Dominion Drive.

Ward 18 (17th aldermanic district on the far northeast side), Oakwood Village East, 5565 Tancho Drive.

Wards 83, 110, 112, 119, 120 and 129 (9th aldermanic district on the far west side), The Jefferson, 9401 Old Sauk Rd.

Polls open at 7 a.m. everywhere in Wisconsin and close at 8 p.m. Voters in line at 8 p.m. will be allowed to vote.

If you don't know where to vote in the city, call the city clerk's office at 266-4601 or go to the city's web site at http://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/voterWhere.cfm.
[/url]
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:53 am

Don't click on Henry's link -- it won't work.

This one will, though:
http://www.cityofmadison.com/clerk/voterWhere.cfm
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Suoiragerg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:09 pm

I clicked on it anyways. 8)

Also, I very much like the fact that I vote at my local polling place. It creates a sense of community.

Elections are local. Vote locally.
Suoiragerg
Forum Addict

Postby Mister_A_In_Madison » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:54 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Not everyone in Dane County gets the same ballot. Some have primaries for county board supervisors. If voters show up at a polling place that is not in their district, they couldn't get the proper ballot. It would be unreasonable to have every district's ballots at every polling place.

Ever hear of print-on-demand technology? :idea:
Mister_A_In_Madison
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Don't click on Henry's link -- it won't work.

Mark this day on a calender. I can't ever remember one of Hank's posted links not working.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:01 pm

supaunknown wrote:

Mark this day on a calender. I can't ever remember one of Hank's posted links not working.

Looks like he forgot about the whole period thing.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:35 pm

supaunknown wrote:

Not my link, I just quoted (copied and pasted) a Cap Times article. I think the period at the end of the sentence screwed it up.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ShaneDog » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Mister_A_In_Madison wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Not everyone in Dane County gets the same ballot. Some have primaries for county board supervisors. If voters show up at a polling place that is not in their district, they couldn't get the proper ballot. It would be unreasonable to have every district's ballots at every polling place.

Ever hear of print-on-demand technology? :idea:
That seems like it would work to me. We should do whatever we can to make voting easier. I commute to work about 45 miles and it would be much more convenient if I could vote at a polling place near my office during my lunch break.
ShaneDog
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government