MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Friday, July 11, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Forward Music Festival Sept 19+20

Got a gig coming up? A CD coming out? A new bass player who looks like Jesus and smells like a field of posies? If you're selling or promoting something, post it here.

Forward Music Festival Sept 19+20

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:33 am

The first annual Forward Music Festival is moving beyond rumors and announcing a first round of confirmed performers. The basic premise is we are putting on two bustling days of shows in numerous venues in downtown (High Noon Saloon, Majestic Theatre, Corral Room, The Project Lodge, The Frequency, Café Montmartre, and Orpheum Theatre Stage Door as well as many other spaces to be added) and you buy a wristband that grants you admission to any of the performances. There is also a limited number of VIP passes that guarantee you admission to your choice of one of the most in demand shows of the weekend. Those go on sale this Saturday morning, the 21st at 10 AM, on the Forward Music Fest website.

Confirmed acts that are being announced at this time include Neko Case, Bob Mould, Shearwater, Leslie and the Lys, Dan Deacon, The Detroit Cobras, Dillinger Four, Scotland Yard Gospel Choir, Pale Young Gentlemen, Screamin' Cyn Cyn and the Pons, The Gomers, Blueheels, Droids Attack, Things Fall Apart and of course a very special one-off reunion show by Killdozer. There are dozens of other exciting national and local acts on the cusp of being added and we will update those on this thread as they become confirmed.

This is a volunteer-driven event and we could use help from all sort of people in our local music community. See the Forward Music Fest website to contact the collective and offer your talents towards this festival that looks to elevate Madison’s music scene.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rockmama » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:36 am

HOLY CHRISTMAS! This sounds dreamy!!
rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:04 am

Katjusa Cisar posted the first article about the fest over at TCT.

ROCK ON.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 pm

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:45 pm

Any info on who's playing what venue on what day and how to guarantee that you will see a specific show, etc.? Thanks.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jesse Russell » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Those details will be on the site in the next 36 hours.

There is a general admission wristband and then a limited number of upgrade badges for each of these headliner bands that have already been announced. Those badges will guarantee access to that show.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks I will bookmark the page.

Do you know if all shows are scheduled at around the same time on each night/day, or are set times spread so that you can clubhop or even guarantee multiple headliners in one day?

Should be fun.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:15 pm

The shows will be somewhat staggered... venue hopping encouraged.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:39 pm

count me in for that wristband.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:53 am

Any word on schedule yet? Nothing new up on the site...
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:15 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Any word on schedule yet? Nothing new up on the site...

I am not one of the five primary organizers who are doing the majority of the heavy lifting and planning, but I’ll try to address that.

At this point a tremendous amount of details in terms of what performers at what venues and what time has yet to be set. As you can imagine putting this crazy two day festival together for the first time ever is a hugely complex endeavour. In addition, there are still ongoing negotiations with local venues in regards to what ones will be part of the festival and in use at what specific times. Not to mention once we got that all figured out then we have to book more acts to fill up many dozens of other performance slots.

So I am guessing specifics regarding scheduling will start coming out in the weeks to come. Bear with us, but rest assured there will be more than enough quality local, regional and national headlining acts to justify the $25 fee for the wristband.

Some skeletal details regarding scheduling is, I believe Bob Mould and Neko Case both play their shows on Friday the 19th at different venues. The Killdozer gig is scheduled as the last show at the High Noon Saloon on Saturday the 20th. Dillinger Four headlines the big all-ages punk rock Saturday matinee show at a venue TBA. I am booking that one so I can share the opening acts that are on that bill in addition to D4.

Local hardcore from Things Fall Apart

Brutal Knights from Toronto who are a perfect hybrid of The Dead Boys and early-Zeke and blew my goddamn gourd at SXSW in March.

Star Fucking Hipsters the newest addition to the Fat Wreck Chords stable of punk rock powerhouses. It is a new band led by Sturgeon of NYC’s Leftover Crack and Chocking Victim.

And finally a very special reunion set by Scared of Chaka from Albuquerque who broke up in 2001 and are picking Madison to play one of their four reunion shows in 2008. They were an extremely tuneful and hard-touring pop punk band who released four stunning full-length albums on Empty and Hopeless from the 1993-2001. Also their guitarist, singer and main songwriter, David Hernandez, went on to play bass for a little band called The Shins after SOC called it quits.

Also there are only a small handful of locals bands confirmed, but that will increase greatly once more details get settled. In addition to bringing killer out of town headlining acts to Madison, showcasing our own talented crop of local musicians is high on the agenda.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 pm

I realize its a huge endeavor, just trying to lock down a couple acts. I have visions of past CMJ conferences being locked out of showcases with an all access pass! Neko on Friday helps a lot, thanks. Any details on the Detroit Cobras yet?

I would like to buy the "guaranteed" tickets for both of these if they are not playing at the same time, but I've seen the Cobras before so Neko gets the nod if I have to choose. Appreciate the info.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 pm

Here is a peek at the preliminary headliner announcement lineup and schedule. Keep in mind that FMF will be announcing many more acts with a full lineup announcement slated for mid-July including additional showcases at Cafe Montmartre, The Frequency, and the Stage Door.

Early Bird passes go onsale at the Forward Music Fest website tomorrow morning at 10 AM.

[Local bands will be opening for all major headliners with the exception of Neko Case.]

*I was waiting to post this under a generic Forward Music Fest username but have yet to be approved by TDPF. So here goes...

All Forward Music Fest attendees must buy a general admission pass. This pass must be traded in for a Forward Music Fest wristband after being verified against a valid photo ID. Passes may be traded in for a wristband beginning Monday, September 15 through Saturday, September 20, from 4 pm to 8 pm at The Frequency or the High Noon Saloon.

A general admission wristband provides access to all Forward Music Fest shows across all venues but does not guarantee admission. Attendees will be allowed into shows on a capacity basis and in accordance with the age restrictions of the venue.

A very limited number of special edition commemorative VIP Badges are available to purchase as an upgrade to a Forward Music Fest wristband. Each upgrade will guarantee admission to one headlining show of your choice and badges will be created by a local artist.

By purchasing an Early Bird Forward Music Fest pass, you will be added to our announcement mailing list and receive updates to our lineup before the general public.

Bob Mould
Friday, September 19
Majestic Theatre
6 pm show(openers TBA)

Neko Case
Friday, September 19
Orpheum Theatre Main Hall
8 pm show (openers TBA)

Bloodshot Records Showcase
feat. Detroit Cobras, Scotland Yard Gospel Choir
Friday, September 19
High Noon Saloon (18+)
9 pm show (openers TBA)

Dan Deacon/Leslie and the LYs
Friday, September 19
Majestic Theatre
9 pm show (openers TBA)

All Day Punk Rock Showcase
feat. Dillinger Four
Saturday, September 20
12 noon to 7 pm show(full lineup TBA)

Shearwater
Saturday, September 29
Majestic Theatre
8 pm show(openers TBA)

Killdozer
Saturday September 20
High Noon Saloon (18+)
8 pm show show(openers TBA)

*and please keep in mind that a portion of proceeds from Forward Music Fest 2008 will be donated to our charitable partners (MAMAs and supporters of Willy St. Fair) to keep moving Midwestern music forward.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:13 pm

boston_jeff wrote:I realize its a huge endeavor, just trying to lock down a couple acts. I have visions of past CMJ conferences being locked out of showcases with an all access pass! Neko on Friday helps a lot, thanks. Any details on the Detroit Cobras yet?

I would like to buy the "guaranteed" tickets for both of these if they are not playing at the same time, but I've seen the Cobras before so Neko gets the nod if I have to choose. Appreciate the info.

I personally really don’t know how soon that info will be coming so I can sympathize with your frustration. However, let’s just remember that FMF is 13 weeks away at this point, so patience would be appreciated. Thing is this basically is like a CMJ or SXSW event, but on a smaller scale and much, much cheaper to attend. Having attended SXSW and CMJ many years, even those huge, established and big-budget music festivals are unable to announce final schedules until less than two months out. This being our first year trying to put something like this on without any paid staff, I think we are doing quite well in comparison. I don’t know what else to say other than stay tuned.

Like attending CMJ or SXSW you learn to roll with the fact you may not get into every showcase you want and have plans B and C ready to go. Regardless music fans in town will be getting a tremendous value on two days of live music for the basic two-day pass price of $25.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:19 pm

As seen above, it will be possible to check out the Cobras apres Neko... but depending on set times, you may get there after their set has begun.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Hype Exchange