MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Close Wiggies?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Close Wiggies?

Postby david cohen » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:46 pm

Perhaps the ALRC would be interested in this...

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/latest/449348
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Close Wiggies?

Postby eriedasch » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:04 pm

Close Wiggies?

Call me crazy, but how about finding, charging, prosecuting the person who fired the gun instead of punishing the establishment?

Unless this is a regular occurrance at the bar, seems like an over-reaction to even suggest closing the place based on one isolated incident.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Hey man, just tossing that out there, since it seems the ALRC can be rather quick to judgment and, well, since a big whig owns the place, you know the ALRC won't bat an eyelash;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:10 pm

What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:25 pm

Better yet, what if the County Sup is blaming a series of incidents (and attendant police calls), not just this shooting, on the influx of minority patrons from the now defunct "A Place for Friends" that was closed down by the ALRC back in February? I mean, there is no quid pro quo here in Madison with regards to bar owners and pols, is there?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:17 pm

Wiggies has been drawing a rougher crowd some nights for a while now and this isn't the first time someone has had a gun at the bar. Late last year, there was a fight inside and surveillance video showed a guy drawing a gun by the jukebox but not firing it.

Back when a Place For Friends was open, I was there for a disturbance and one angry patron told me the City hates black people and was going to close down all the "black bars, this place next and then Wiggies". I had no idea Wiggies was a "black" bar before this person told me, although I did know we were getting a lot of calls there for fights and disturbances.

It's not race that gets bars closed down, it is behavior AND where the bar is located. If the area around the bar doesn't care about how out of control it is, then nothing usually happens. Case in point: several bars downtown in student areas. Over the years there has been more than ample cause to yank the licences of several places even without weapons offenses and regardless of the race of the patrons. However, there has been little political will to do so. Move outside student areas where alders get calls for action from regular tax payers, it is a different story.

I would be happy to see several bars lose their licenses around town based on history and the current behavior at the bars and poor management. Unless the owner can get things back under control, maybe that's what will happen at Wiggies.

But don't blame it on race or music. If I were going to close down a place based on music, the Dry Bean would be the first to go followed by Brothers (300 people screaming along to "Living On A Prayer"...ugh). People of all races act like morons when drunk so closing a place based on race just can't be done.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Fri May 01, 2009 12:06 am

It damn well better not have been a smoking gun or there will be hell to pay!!
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Fri May 01, 2009 1:12 pm

I stand corrected. Looks like not just one isolated incident. Along with Water and David's info, this article give more to a history of problems at Wiggies:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/449409

Shows how much I know. I thought Wiggies was kind of a redneck biker bar.

Should they be closed by the ALRC? I'm still not really sure. I would be willing to give them a chance to work things out, but I'm not on the ALRC and I probably would not have closed some of the other places that had a few incidents around hip hop shows either. I feel you need to at least give the owners a chance to fix the problem, make changes recommended by ALRC (i.e. increase security, parking lot patrols, bouncer on duty, etc.) before you immediately close them after something like this.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri May 01, 2009 3:25 pm

eriedasch wrote:Along with Water and David's info...

Water and David's? Is that like Harry and David's, only for people who are watching their weight?

Oh, well - I guess it's all Walter under the bridge at this point...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri May 01, 2009 5:07 pm

Marvell wrote:
eriedasch wrote:Along with Water and David's info...

Water and David's? Is that like Harry and David's, only for people who are watching their weight?

Oh, well - I guess it's all Walter under the bridge at this point...

Hey man, I'm a lot of things, but Harry isn't one of them! On the serious side, my intent with the thread was to sarcastically point out that when there is a trouble at any bar in Madison, "have the ALRC close them" seems to be the common solution. Of course, it's been pointed out, there must be other solutions to the problems. The Wiggies situation is further compounded by Dave Wiganowsky's ownership of the place. But I'm guessing that many bars in town are owned by notable locals as well, right? So I'm not really picking on Wiggie here...
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Fri May 01, 2009 7:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor?

What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor that was located in alder Thuy Pham-Remmele's District 20 with a faint smell of marijuana and Mike Verveer in the room?????

cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri May 01, 2009 10:23 pm

What if a certain tiny percentage of the madison clubgoers who frequent hip hop shows and "black" bars were to somehow refrain from:

A. Bringing guns to the bar.

B. Pulling out guns at the bar.

C. Firing guns at the bar.

?

Therein lies the difference between most of the bars that have been shut down and the college bars that many feel are just as bad or worse. If we could just go back to fistfights, the jackasses could be kept in check and bar closings would only happen at 2 in the morning.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 am

cxl01 wrote:
jjoyce wrote:What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor?

What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor that was located in alder Thuy Pham-Remmele's District 20 with a faint smell of marijuana and Mike Verveer in the room?????

What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor that was located in alder Thuy Pham-Remmele's District 20 with a faint smell of marijuana and Mike Verveer in the room and Phil Spector was there and had coke smears just below his nose and was shaking and holding a gun???

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cxl01 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:10 pm

white_rabbit wrote:What if this had been a hip-hop show at a bar not owned by a Dane County Supervisor that was located in alder Thuy Pham-Remmele's District 20 with a faint smell of marijuana and Mike Verveer in the room and Phil Spector was there and had coke smears just below his nose and was shaking and holding a gun???

Now stop that, that’s silly!
cxl01
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Then again, perhaps a pattern is emerging?

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/latest/452847
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines