MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Green Owl Review?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Green Owl Review?

Postby AaronTheSnob » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:46 am

I was kind of hoping someone had gone there and could fill us in. I haven't been able to make it over yet. Anyone?
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Green Owl Review?

Postby The Center Square » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:49 am

We're not foodies by any means, but fit the demo they'd probably like to have in their hip pocket: A Veggie family within walking distance.
We went there last week and we're quite happy with the neighborhood addition.
It's good veggie food at a pretty decent price -no giant red flags on the place at all.

Aside: I cannot believe they actually cleaned that building out to a point where I'd want to eat in it. They must have sealed it up, filled it with 4 feet of bleach, and let it sit for a week before beginning to convert it to a restaurant. -and this is coming from a guy who'll eat at Ian's Pizza on State without blinking.

The Onion AV Club Madison version (or whatever they are called nowadays) did a cute little thing on the place: http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/ ... tle,36160/
that pretty well covers it.
The Center Square
Forum Addict

Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby SOS » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:04 pm

Dane101 posted a review also: http://www.dane101.com/restaurants/2009 ... re_friends

I tried it out last week and was very pleased with everything... will definitely be going back.
SOS

Postby benfury » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:48 pm

i had the bbq jackfruit a few weeks ago. my friend had the jumbalya. both were great!

i'll be going back
benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Yeah, the food is pretty tasty! I like this place quite a bit better than the last "all vegetarian" restaurant in town (that I remember)...was it called "Peacemal" or "Piecemal" or something? (It was on State Street.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:09 pm

rrnate wrote:Yeah, the food is pretty tasty! I like this place quite a bit better than the last "all vegetarian" restaurant in town (that I remember)...was it called "Peacemal" or "Piecemal" or something? (It was on State Street.)

Peacemeal - that place did have issues. I recall one dinner where the only positive outcome was the bag of Just Coffee beans I bought.

I've heard really good things about the jackfruit BBQ sandwich at the Green Owl and I'm looking forward to trying it. I just have to find an excuse to get out that way.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:31 pm

Haven't eaten at the Green Owl yet but checked out the menu online. I wonder about the abundance of "fake meat" dishes. I don't mind that sort of thing (I eat meat) but I know a lot of people who eat veggie because they don't like meat and don't long for the sensation (or imitation) of it in their food. Still going to check it out pretty soon. It will be funny to eat where I saw lots of sweat and beer and puke back in the Anchor days.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm on the vegan diet and so far my G.O. experiences have been just so-so. You don't get a lot for what you spend. Not every restaurant will have everything I want or will find tasty. But I think if I go out to eat, I should get my moneys worth to the point where the food is just as good or better than what I can cook at home. And the majority of dishes should be delicious.
The green beans were undercooked. (Fortunatly my sis let me have her over cooked even better leafy green veg.)
The Vegan Schnitzal was OK.
The mock chicken was slightly better than the schnitz.
The rice pilaf was an improvment.
So far the best thing I've had there was the coconut creme pie even though I couldn't really taste the cream.
I am excited to have a new all exclusive veggie (mostly vegan) restaurant in town. And I would love to go back more often and support it. But the only way I can do that is if they have knock my sox off food.
Will I go back? Well yea but not anytime soon. And I'll go back more out of a curiosity to see if things have improved instead of just feeling obligated to support them.
And next time I'll order the Jack Bar B Q .
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:38 pm

KidCapitol wrote:And next time I'll order the Jack Bar B Q .
Eh ... and maybe next time dial down the pre-dinner dosage, eh? Take a breath and try again.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:37 pm

fennel wrote:
KidCapitol wrote:And next time I'll order the Jack Bar B Q .
Eh ... and maybe next time dial down the pre-dinner dosage, eh? Take a breath and try again.

Oh.
A critic of the critic eh?
I guess it's true what they say. Everybody's a critic.

I'm proud of what I wrote. It's good feedback.
And if you don't like it, well, I can't help you with that.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby violetb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:37 am

Hey, Center Square, I too wondered how in the hell the Anchor could turn into a veg restaurant. Gotta love Madison. And to Meowzamusic, the first time i saw their menu I was a bit bummed that all the food was imposter meat. I was a vegetarian when I could throw a rock out my window and hit the Anchor, and now I'd have to drive my car by to do the same. When I went with a vegetarian friend recently we shared the crabby cakes, the hummus platter, and they had two soups (vegan chili, and potato corn chowder), so we got one of each. I was pretty impressed. This town has seen so many vegetarian restaurants come and go (just like the rest of 'em) that it would be nice to see one become a mainstay. I, for one, am sick and tired of diners complaining about a restaurant not having many vegetarian options on their menu, while people who try to cater to them get left by the wayside. They've got eco-friendly togo boxes too! Weehoo, way to make it happen Green Owl. See you next week for the eggplant meatball sub.
violetb

Postby morriskatze » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:26 am

I've been there three times now and really enjoyed it! First, it's overwhelming to know that I can eat everything on the menu, unlike most places where there are maybe 4 options for me. :) But that's not really a complaint - more like a pleasant surprise.

I thought the crabby cakes were only so-so as an appetizer; maybe they're better in the Po Boy. I love their southwestern chili. Tasted the BBQ Jackfruit, and definitely want to have a whole order sometime. I enjoyed the Vegan Schnitzel, despite other people's disappointment. It's hearty, and the mushroom sauce is tasty. Also, green beans taste better to me when they are crisp, so no complaints there. I've also enjoyed the kale chips and their greens of the day - I think I've had spinach twice. Yum.

The service is very good and the atmosphere is also friendly and comfortable.

I tried really hard to support Peacemeal, but their food was often only so-so and the service indifferent. I think The Green Owl has a more "professional" feel, for lack of a better word. It feels more like a real restaurant, rather than a cooperative housing dining room. I really hope they do well.

I definitely understand people's misgivings about all the fake meat options; I guess it's one way to try to satisfy meat eaters at the restaurant. However, I agree that it's better to just make good food. There are lots of ways to give someone a hearty meal without necessarily having the fake meat. On the other hand, if the fake meat is tasty, why not?
morriskatze

Postby kayaker » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:33 pm

I wish there were more veggies and less soy. If you have soy intolerance, there is little for you to eat. Though I managed to avoid soy, the first time I ate there I had horrible gas afterward, and the second time I became very, very ill before even making it home. The drinking glasses were very soapy smelling both times I ate there. I will not go there again which is a bummer, I was really looking forward to it opening.
kayaker

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:33 am

Tried this recently. We weren't impressed. The faux meat theme is a bit odd and gives the impression that meat-based cooking is a standard to be aspired to. I'm sure that's not intentional, but still.

The portions were downright diminutive. The "crabby cake" app was ok but not inspiring. The main dish, a veggie pot pie, would have been quite good were it not over-salted. The accompanying greens were excellent. The service was good.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:10 pm

We've always really enjoyed our meals at the Green Owl. I've found the portions to be on the smallish side, but not too small. I usually can't resist adding a cup of soup, though, so that might be part of it.
altcountryman

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews