MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
james madison beach
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Train Horns Getting Louder?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Train Horns Getting Louder?

Postby koshka » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 am

For those of us that must continue to put up with the blaring horns of the the freight trains, does it seem like they are getting longer and louder? :shock: Even when its just a single engine passing through the isthmus, the engineers blast away with passion. Each horn is a reminder how low a priority eastside quiet zones were for Mayor C, especially when he axed the Fair Oaks - Olbrich Gardens quiet zone from the 2009 budget.
koshka

Re: Train Horns Getting Louder?

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:13 am

koshka wrote:Even when its just a single engine passing through the isthmus, the engineers blast away with passion.

Yea, they love blasting away with passion using a single engine all right. It's almost as good as sex.
HOMOsapien

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 am

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, or the horn in this case. The horns started getting longer and louder from the day the first gentrifiers realized they bought a house by the tracks. Thank you all very much.

Think about it...rougher type blue-collar train engineer from Utica, rolling through the isthmus at midnight, thinking about all the hippies calling to complain about him. "You don't like the way I blow the horn? Well FUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOUU!
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm

We can pass all the quiet zones we want, but one engineer with a grudge can just woo-woo all he wants.

Also, there are a higher number of trains now (or starting soon?) with the campus power plant conversion.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:53 pm

I call him engineer # 3 and he is a dick. He thinks that the John Nolen and Williamson intersection is two crossings when it is only one. He blows his horn eight times instead of four as the other engineers do. He also is very obnoxious at the other intersections and seems to be working alot more often these days.

One thing I've noticed though is that there are far fewer midnight to 6 AM trains lately. Anyone else notice this?
Last edited by iwiw99 on Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm

Hope you didn't get engineer #1 in trouble with the bosses at the RR.

Perhaps the reduction in late night train traffic is due to a reduction in utility use of coal? I remember reading that MG&E was going to phase out coal but do not recall the timetable for that.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 pm

I don't either.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby koshka » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:43 pm

I believe that neither MG&E or the UW are burning coal anymore. MG&E stopped a while ago to avoid new air pollution regulations. UW stopped because they were caught upgrading their boilers without upgrading their air pollution controls. For the time being there are less freight trains hauling coal downtown. As a result of their air pollution violations the UW is upgrading its Charter Street boilers to burn biomass like wood scrap. The environmental studies finished this summer said that new freight train traffic to carry biomass to the Charter Street heating plant will range from two deliveries per week of 13-car trains to ten deliveries per week of 16-car trains. These deliveries may start before the state finishes the high speed rail upgrades which will likely include a quiet zone for the east rail corridor. In the next couple of years at least the isthmus will get quieter. The Fair Oaks - Olbrich Gardens tracks won't be getting a quiet zone from the high speed rail project.
koshka

Postby devildog » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 am

Is it me, or were the horns last night by Olbrich (around 2 or 3 am?)absolutely out of control. I honestly started to think something was wrong. WTF?
devildog

Postby koshka » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:37 am

I agree. Woke me up. Perhaps a courteous engineer was off and replaced with the infamous Engineer # 3 described above. Another reminder that installing quiet zones should be a question for mayoral candidates.
koshka

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Whatever it means, I heard him too.

Look, if it's 2 am and somebody's too drunk to get out of the way for a regular-length train horn, a triple-long toot isn't going to help.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cattyrood » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:26 am

We are on East Wilson close to the coop and sometimes the horn noise is unbelievable. After a while, though, it just becomes laughable.
cattyrood

Postby Cartman69 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 pm

gargantua wrote:Hope you didn't get engineer #1 in trouble with the bosses at the RR.

Perhaps the reduction in late night train traffic is due to a reduction in utility use of coal? I remember reading that MG&E was going to phase out coal but do not recall the timetable for that.

Not yet.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/ar ... 002e0.html
Cartman69
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:51 pm

OK, now that HSR is history (and I welcomed it), Mayor Dave needs to get the quiet zones finished. I bring this up as WSOR decided they needed to move three fucking cars through the East side at 3:45 this morning. Oh yes it was engineer # 3. That comes to waking up 23,454 people per train car. Ok I made that up. I realize that the rail commision is still looking at road closures but how putting this to bed finally. And me.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 am

So what exactly does a quiet zone entail? Are all crossings equipped with the drop-down gates? Because if they aren't, the first drunk, texter, phone talker, or simply oblivious person who gets creamed is going to mean a lawsuit against the railroad, the city, or both.

Flashing red lights alone may work fairly well at night but during the day they can easily go unnoticed.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe