MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bed Bugs!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Bed Bugs!

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 pm

I just found out I might have them. The exterminator is coming soon. Has anyone out there had them? What did you have to go through to get rid of them?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bed Bugs!

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:26 pm

We are waiting for our first report from friends or family but so far no.

There is a bed bug registry, though, and it has Wisconsin entries:
http://bedbugregistry.com/location/WI
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm

Careful with that registry. There is no quality control for anonymously-submitted reports, and I expect many are misdiagnoses of other ailments or insects.

I am the manager of this hotel. We have NEVER had bed bugs at this hotel. I have worked here from the date we have opened. How are these reports being verified?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Nope. No verification either way. We don't know for sure if there were bedbugs, nor do we know if the hotel owner isn't lying.

I don't know how bad it'll have to get before we actually do have licensed bedbug verifiers out there.

In the meantime, you got a better way to know?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:48 pm

I was told by a frequent traveler is to look under your mattress immediately as you enter your hotel room. If there are spots, there are bed bugs. Leave, and request a clean room or find a clean hotel.

Bwis53, sorry I don't know what is the protocol for when you find them in your abode. I would believe it involves lots of machine washing and drying of all clothes and linens. This probably would be done after the exterminator doses your abode with nasty stuff. So afterward wash all exposed surfaces use for food prep.

As an aside note, I have been experimenting with natural pest control methods. I have been using citrus oil to get rid of wasps. I take the rinds of citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit), zest it through a grater, put it in a jar, add alcohol to extract the oil, and spray in on the wasp nests. It knocks out the wasps enough for me to go in and destroy the nest without being attacked. There is more info on this if you google "citrus oil".
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:53 am

Madsci wrote:Bwis53, sorry I don't know what is the protocol for when you find them in your abode. I would believe it involves lots of machine washing and drying of all clothes and linens. This probably would be done after the exterminator doses your abode with nasty stuff. So afterward wash all exposed surfaces use for food prep.

There are two options: chemical treatment and heat treatment. Chemical treatment is cheaper and involves a fairly thorough fumigation. Heat treatment is newer and more expensive, but uses no chemicals; the exterminator brings in some burners and/or heat lamps and heats your home to 150 degrees for several hours.

I'm not aware of any non-professional or "organic" method that's effective against bedbugs. You really have to call a professional, and be diligent about following all the instructions they give you.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:36 pm

A friend of mine had them a while back. I hate to say, but it really sucks. You have to wash all your clothes in the room and closet with hot water. She had to get rid of her wooden bed frame because they like to nest there. Of course the mattress and bedding had to go as well(I wouldn't even risk fumigating that thing). These were extreme measures, but the exterminator recommended it. These fuckers are quite resilient to pesticides. Luckily her landlord paid for all the costs since it was her roommate(landlords sublet) that brought them in.

I also watched a program about this a while back. One thing I learned is to avoid bringing things from that room to other spaces. Easier said than done. The program was about a family that had them in their bedrooms. They decided to sleep in the living room and their kid brought his stuffed animal downstairs. Blammo, they infected their living room as well. It sounded like a total nightmare and they ended up cooking the house as was suggested. It worked, but in the end I think they threw down about $50,000. This included failed exterminator attempts and the cost of replacing a bunch of stuff.

After my friends ordeal and this program, bedbugs have become one of my nightmare scenarios with home ownership. There are a number of sites online that can help out as well. I wish you the best of luck.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:
What did you have to go through to get rid of them?

First things first... wake them up very carefully....
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:44 pm

I wanted to wait til I calmed down, to write more. Wil-Kil moved a lot of my stuff (ugh!) and sprayed a lot. The tech did a good job and answered all my questions. I'm going to take my bed off the floor and encase the mattresses. It helps to de-clutter and give the buggers fewer places to hide. I washed essentials before and am washing a few loads at a time. It's hard to figure how I could have gotten them. I saw the NBC piece about how it's a resurging epidemic. I haven't traveled or picked up garbaged furniture. It could be as simple as one bug hitching from someone's bag on the bus to mine. There's also a few sites with some pretty good prevention tips, like storing things in plastic. The silver lining is that I get to sift through a lot of my shit and get rid of some of it.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby illman808 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

I've been hearing a lot about this product on 92.1 http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html
illman808

Return to Catch All