MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

WTF, Waukesha?!?!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

WTF, Waukesha?!?!

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:43 am

More election night problems in Waukesha County

Meanwhile, frustrated reporters and data collectors for election result reporting services were left to locate races on yards of paper tapes that hung from walls around a meeting room and calculate totals themselves. Some reporters gave up after their smart phones, which were put into service as calculators, burned through their charges after several hours.

I always thought it was amazing that Republicans pointed to Kathy Nickolaus' incompetence to explain last spring's irregularities, as opposed to her political affiliations with David Prosser, as though the public should forgive her incompetence.

The very conservative voters of Waukesha County have elected the most unqualified clerk in the state, apparently. Is there anything more to it than that?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: WTF, Waukesha?!?!

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:56 am

Nope, I think you nailed it. She's screwed up plenty of things besides elections.

Now the followup question is has anyone ever run against her or is she doing a job no one else wants to do?

Why the person responsible for counting election results in any county is an elected position is beyond me though.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 pm

http://www.read4waukeshacountyclerk.com/

Don't know much about her, other than what is on her site.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 pm

You have to wonder if she's truly oblivious to the embarrassing extent of her own incompetence or if she's actually painfully aware of it.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 pm

she had yesterday's voting results hanging from the walls so people could review them.

I'm going with oblivious. Maybe aware that there is a problem, but in no way aware how bad it really is.

Nice to see that she faces a primary challenger and a Democratic challenger. If she somehow gets re-elected I'll be stunned.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:56 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:I'm going with oblivious. Maybe aware that there is a problem, but in no way aware how bad it really is.

Nice to see that she faces a primary challenger and a Democratic challenger. If she somehow gets re-elected I'll be stunned.

I think this quote shows just how oblivious she is.
quote from article wrote:Asked whether it raised new questions about her competence after an all-nighter in her office, she said, "What it does say is that I'm willing to stay and get the job done. That's exactly what I did."

I'm more interested in this "program" they are relying on. Who created it? Who approved / verified the testing? Did the GAB approve it? Is this the same "program" they used in the past?

quote from article wrote:When her staff went to upload data delivered by local clerks in packs and cards into her computer program, it didn't work.

"We were shocked," she said, saying she and her staff had tested the program "many times."

Why do we even have a GAB if their rules and procedures will not be enforced?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm

I was born and raised in Waukesha County...I don't expect folks there to elect a Dem as county clerk, but someone who's at least competent would be nice.

Also, I posted this in another thread, but it bears re-posting here, I think. http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/v ... 37615.html

Apparently, at least one polling place in the City of Waukesha didn't get the memo that Voter ID is on hold. Wonder if there are other places that had this problem?
sallybell

Postby Meade » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:34 pm

From the article JJoyce links to:
"Summary and reporting unit reports will be printed (from the program) periodically throughout the night and posted in the county building outside the clerk's office, for media and public access," the report said.

That didn't happen until virtually every observing reporter and numbers-taker had left.

So what?

And if you bother reading to the end of the article, you will notice that it seems that one of the last volunteers to drive in with her vote totals was the same person who is running against Kathy Nickolaus in the next election for county clerk.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 pm

The criticism around here from Republicans is that there needs to be at least some political diversity in the state's most liberal county, and I'm prone to agree with them. But what do they have to say about the ass-backward operations of the state's most conservative county?

Kathy Nickolaus apologist and self-proclaimed moderate Meade says, "So what?"

Liberal Dane County, whatever number of square miles surrounded by reality, has been posting its results online for citizen scrutiny for over a decade at this point. I could understand Waushara or Vilas county being well behind that, but Waukesha is a huge, wealthy county, yet their conservative elected officials are running that joint like it's 1977.

It's immersed in the status quo! It defies not just innovation, but the digital age! It embraces questionable practices! It stiff-arms progress and common sense!

I'll say this for her, at least she was transparent about it. She let the fourth estate into her operation and allowed it to chronicle everything. She didn't try to cover it up, this time.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:56 pm

I can't figure out if every other voter in that Waukesha precinct meekly showed ID, or what.

Perhaps this is the quality of public service you get when you "starve the beast."
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm

Counting and sharing the results is way too close to science.

We all know how conservatives feel about science.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Gibe » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Breaking News !!!

Walkersha, WI Wed April 4th 2012 2:03 PM

56,631 uncounted votes for Rick Santorum discovered in Walkersha County, WI

Santorum wins WI.

Walkersha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus cannot explain how this happend as she had her staff painstakingly hand enter every vote and vote total into their state of the art election counting machine.

Speaking to Nickolaus late Wednesday afternoon, she explains,
"The only plausible explanation is that I accidentally left a bag of ballots at Taco Bell when I made a late night run to the border to satisfy my uncontrollable urge for a Dorito Loco Supreme"

"It won't happen again.....I promise"
Gibe

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 pm

maybe I'm being a little paranoid, but it occurs to me after some thought, that in a relatively minor spring election (Even the GOP primary wasn't really in question in Waukesha), Kathy Nickolaus just demonstrated how poor her new software is and how long the process she uses to count the vote really takes. Amazingly she may have managed to lower expectations of her performance. With a much more important election looming (that will surely have a larger turnout) she just demonstrated why no one should be shocked if she has a major issue with counting the vote on election night.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby sallybell » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 pm

snoqueen wrote:I can't figure out if every other voter in that Waukesha precinct meekly showed ID, or what.

Perhaps this is the quality of public service you get when you "starve the beast."

None of my relatives live in the city of Waukesha...but I'll ask those that still live in the county whether they had to show ID, and report back.
sallybell

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government