MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Juicing!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Juicing!

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:35 pm

Anyone else juicing? What juicer are you using? Masticating or Centrifugal? Both have their pros and cons. I'm going to try a juice fast per the doc Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. But I'm going to still incorporate separate whey protein isolate shakes (just the powder & water) into my day since I can't imagine not getting in my daily 90 grams of protein.

Even though the FSND doc seems to basically be an infomercial for Breville juicers, the subsequent research and what I've already known about juicing has made me look past that. Emailed my physician about my plans to fast for 15 days and he said have at it and to email him after with my results.

I'm mostly interested in catching the "buzz". The energy that people are claiming. I'd love to boot my morning caffeine trap in favor of something I need anyway. And I'd like to get massive amounts of micronutrients as efficiently as possible.

I currently have this Breville Juicer. Only got it a few days ago and haven't put it through its paces yet. But I'm damn excited about it and this fast.

The world of juicing and recipes seems endless and I'm looking for other local people to share ideas and recipes with. Not to mention sharing who's got the best produce at the best times.

So let's hear it juicers... what's working for you?

Holy shit that was a loud thunder boom just now!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Juicing!

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:17 pm

I have an Acme centifugal juicer that was a hand-me-down. It's been in periodic service for almost 40 years and still works really well. I do recommend the paper filters, though, since cleaning the fine screening of the drum is a bit tiresome.

I love carrot and beet or blends thereof, usually fortified with a good deal of fresh ginger. My most adventurous juicing was with fresh pomegranate. You have to free the seeds from the pulp first, but the screen takes care of the rest. The only way I can describe the flavor is that it would scare the bejeesus out of Puritans.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:16 pm

I've got an older Champion and it works just great. It'll do everything but wheatgrass -- you need the Omega for that, though I've also seen a little hand-juicer for wheatgrass for sale at the Coop. The Champion is very easy to clean, and the screen isn't as fine and fussy to work on as the centrifugal ones. (I've also tried those -- they're OK too but I think the Champion gets more of the juice out.)

I make juice intermittently -- I'll go through times when I make it every day, then I won't do it for months. Mostly depends on what produce is available. The Champion juicer will also make nut butters, which is a cool feature.

If you have trouble juicing leafy stuff like kale, try wrapping the leaves together or wrapping them tightly around a slice of apple. Seems to give the juicer something to bite down on.

Pineapple juice is way too sweet, but tastes amazing. It would be good in some kind of alcoholic beverage.

Ginger makes nearly any juice better.

I am fond of putting cabbage into fresh vegetable juices, but you have to drink it right away (within minutes) or it spoils.

It's too late for the best carrot juice. The carrots available now are mostly commercial type, watery, and don't have much flavor. Wait until the new crop is available. Actually, early spring is not the greatest time for juicing because the really good juiceable stuff -- root vegetables and tree fruit -- aren't ripe yet.

You can do oranges in a centrifugal juicer if you peel them first and take most of the white part off.

Good seasonal nutrient stuff now is green sprouts, pea sprouts, broccoli sprouts, etc. which you can eat whole -- no point in juicing delicate stuff like that.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:25 am

fennel wrote:I do recommend the paper filters, though, since cleaning the fine screening of the drum is a bit tiresome.

YES!

Thank you... wouldn't have even thought those were an option. Just ordered some.

I'm beginning to think the weightloss people experience during juicing is from all the prep and cleanup!

I'm sure like anything I'll get it down... but holy shit.

It's a good thing I'm on a self-imposed "vacation" right now.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:07 pm

snoqueen wrote:If you have trouble juicing leafy stuff like kale, try wrapping the leaves together or wrapping them tightly around a slice of apple. Seems to give the juicer something to bite down on.

Great tip sno. I've been wrapping the smaller kale up in the giant romaine leaves now and it's definitely helped. It's like a romaine burrito now and grabs it great. I do the same with the spinach.

I'm amazed at how much juice comes out of the leafy greens with this Breville.

snoqueen wrote:Ginger makes nearly any juice better.

Unless you put in 2 giant thumb size amounts! Yowza! Live and learn. I've cut it to half a small thumb size and now it's wonderful.

snoqueen wrote:It's too late for the best carrot juice. The carrots available now are mostly commercial type, watery, and don't have much flavor.

Yes. I'm regrettably using a lot of various commercial grade produce right now. Wanted to get to the square on Saturday but other plans intervened. Will be there in force this weekend though, rain or shine.

I've started soaking ALL my produce in a bleach solution (regular Clorox works best). I will even do this with locally grown organic from now on as well. Probably even from my own garden.

snoqueen wrote:Good seasonal nutrient stuff now is green sprouts, pea sprouts, broccoli sprouts, etc. which you can eat whole -- no point in juicing delicate stuff like that.

I'm juicing all of that now to help keep my juices more on the veggie side. I'll eat it all solid this week too.

Putting aside any expected placebo effect, I really do feel fantastic. Utterly fantastic. I'm working out longer and adding reps to my sets that I didn't think I'd have worked up to for a few months yet. Down 4 lbs. Kicked my morning joe.

Mood is even better and I was told just yesterday that I seem "goofier". I get the same energy "buzz" that caffeine gave me but without any jittery-ness, crash, occasional headache, further caffeine cravings, etc. I was a 3-5 BIG cup a day kinda guy. Now it's kicked and I've had no adverse side effects from quitting. I won't give up coffee, but will now view it as a treat and something to savor and enjoy on occasion.

And, best of all out of all of this, well, ahem, let's just say the gf has been very, very, very, pleased as a result of what I'm doing!

We're now also shopping, prepping, and experimenting with new recipes together. She initially thought all the recipes I was planning would taste gross. I now have to wrestle my glass away from her and am making more for her to have her own. She has a few days off next week and is going to start a fast too.

This has been a truly wonderful experience and I believe it's only going to get better.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

From an NYT article, Eating Well Without the Flavor of Shame:

I don’t drink fruit juice, either. Fruit juice is sugar with no fiber to mediate its consumption. When people tell me they’re going on a juice cleanse, they might as well tell me they’re going on a root beer cleanse.

Still, there's nothing I crave more than a tall glass of fresh OJ after working outside on a hot day.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Sprecher for health!

Postby Marvell » Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 am

When people tell me they’re going on a juice cleanse, they might as well tell me they’re going on a root beer cleanse.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm

I think the negative connotations associated with juicing comes from people who think you're only juicing fruit and are completely discarding the pulp/fiber.

The reality for me is that my juices are primarily vegetable-based and I've found all sorts of fantastic ways to reincorporate the pulp.

We made ground turkey and ground chuck loaves last night using the pulp. Made the glaze out of Heinz reduced-sugar ketchup, sweet basil, cayenne pepper, and Lea & Perrins worcestershire sauce.

Holy shit was it good. Made up several tins worth.

Between the meat and the eggs in the loaf, it was just crammed full of protein. Had a side-salad with it and drowned it in Walden Thousand Island dressing.

Got half my fiber for the day and over 40 grams of BCAA-rich protein in one meal.

Very low calories, super filling, super delicious.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues