MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, January 26, 2015 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cullen out of Dem caucus

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Cullen out of Dem caucus

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Cullen to leave Democratic caucus in state Senate

State Sen. Tim Cullen, D-Janesville, said Tuesday he plans to leave the Democratic caucus and may become an independent.
[...]
Cullen, who was among the 14 Democratic senators who left the state during the historic protests at the Capitol in 2011 but had sought compromise with GOP governor Scott Walker on collective bargaining, said he was insulted by not being named chairman of any Senate committees after the Democrats regain control of that chamber.

Clearly an effective strategy for, er...
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cullen out of Dem caucus

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:33 pm

I like Cullen. We'll find out later what his reasoning is.

There ought to be more independents, particularly in the state Senate. Rock solid caucuses aren't good for anybody but the special interests. Guys like Cullen are arguably better off without state party "support."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:49 pm

You guys should hurry, jump on your Facebooks and organize a flash mob. Descend on the Capitol rotunda with bullhorns, balloons, and blue painters' tape, chanting thank you, thank you, thank you.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:51 pm

"We" should, Meade? That seems strange for you to suggest; I thought you weren't in favor of the Capitol protests.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:I like Cullen. We'll find out later what his reasoning is.

As above:

"said he was insulted by not being named chairman of any Senate committees after the Democrats regain control of that chamber."

As for caucuses, there are two issues: votes on bills and control of the chamber. The latter could possibly be a problem.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:00 pm

You are 100% mistaken, Kyle. Express yourself, don't repress yourself.

Truly.

I am absolutely sincere when I say that the greatest genius in the design of the Wisconsin Capitol is the way it facilitates the people's ability to peaceably assemble and protest their government. Whose house? The people's house.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm

Remember that Cullen was the majority leader in the 80s until he resigned when appointed by then governor Thompson to become secretary of the Department of Health & Human Services- which lasted a year or so- and then took a job in the insurance industry until he had heart surgery and 'retired' back into politics. His latest announcement is just another example of his constant efforts to serve himself rather than the people who voted for him.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:09 pm

Meade wrote:I am absolutely sincere

That would be a first.

If true.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Cullen has a right to be angry. He could have tubed the whole 14 thing easily. Some reports say he wanted to.

I'm not impressed by Mark Miller. Never have been.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 pm

jjoyce wrote:Cullen has a right to be angry.

Why?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm

I find myself in agreement with jjoyce. We absolutely need more independents and less partisans. Miller behaved badly and reminds me of a spoiled child.

ALL of them from BOTH parties need to learn to listen to each other and work together for the common good. It didn't happen when the Republicans were in control and it didn't happen prior to 2010 either.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Perhaps we should make membership in a party a disqualification for holding office. In Wisconsin you don't have to join a party to vote in that party's primary--we could just firm up that concept a bit.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:19 pm

And I (along with lots of other people in my district) think Miller is terrific. He'd be very hard to unseat. See? There really is a range of opinions on the forum, just like in the senate.

I'd love to see more independents modeled after Vermont's Sanders, but around here independents seem to be middle-of-the-roaders which probably makes sense given the state's political composition.

On the other hand, while I like the way Cullen has tried to reach across the aisle, on the whole I've found him untrustworthy because he's shifted his position so many times. I'm glad he doesn't represent me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Detritus wrote:Perhaps we should make membership in a party a disqualification for holding office. In Wisconsin you don't have to join a party to vote in that party's primary--we could just firm up that concept a bit.

Nebraska has a non-partisan legislature: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_Legislature.

It doesn't seem to produce different outcomes. Partisanship is a bit overrated as a bogeyman, imo.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 pm

That's wonderful that you think Miller is terrific! Since he is such a great leader and so capable of uniting all Dems, you should keep him in that position by all means. Honestly, I would love to see him retained there.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government