MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

GOP Senate Primary

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Who faces Tammy in November?

Thompson
40%
Neumann
20%
Hovde
33%
Fitzgerald
7%

Total votes : 15

GOP Senate Primary

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:43 am

Place your bets...

I think it's gonna be Tommy just out of sheer name recognition. His record doesn't bode well for the Teapublican vote but that's a group that seems good at ignoring a candidates record as long as the current rhetoric is up to snuff.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: GOP Senate Primary

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 am

Hovde: Ron Johnson, act II.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:28 am

I picked Fitzgerald, basically because he deserves at least one vote in the primary. Call it a pity vote if you will--I ain't proud, and neither is he.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:14 pm

I've seen Hovde's polling gap close by 10 points in a couple months. He's got the money and people dig on that whole "pulling myself up by the bootstraps" shit. The Club for Growth is going after him as well as Grover "douchebag" Norquist. In the end I think Hovde eeks it out with a possible recount.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 pm

The people I've talked to don't seem to notice that the new Thompson is running against the old Thompson -- they just want some sense of normalcy back. Which for them means Thompson. It's so obvious to them that I'm not sure they even realize that there is a primary.

I figure conservatives who actually remember Governor Thompson's policies will vote for Neumann, and those that can't remember any Governor before Walker will vote for Hovde (because he has the ads). Jeff Fitzgerald will be politely ignored -- no one wants to remember that mess of an Assembly session.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I've seen Hovde's polling gap close by 10 points in a couple months. He's got the money and people dig on that whole "pulling myself up by the bootstraps" shit. The Club for Growth is going after him as well as Grover "douchebag" Norquist. In the end I think Hovde eeks it out with a possible recount.

A conservative friend of mine seems pretty perplexed by this turn of events, though he just recently realized it while I've been reading about it for several weeks. I'm not sure where he's getting his alarms from, but he complained that Tommy could beat Tammy easily, Hovde may or may not beat Tammy and Neumann isn't likely to beat Tammy. So why, he asks, are Republicans targeting the better candidates and risking the loss of the seat?

All I could tell him was that Tommy wasn't conservative enough, Hovde wasn't beholden enough and Neumann could be trusted to do whatever they tell him to do. The Teapers aren't looking for thinkers, they're looking for "yes men".
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:17 pm

pjbogart wrote:
All I could tell him was that Tommy wasn't conservative enough, Hovde wasn't beholden enough and Neumann could be trusted to do whatever they tell him to do. The Teapers aren't looking for thinkers, they're looking for "yes men".

That's why I voted Neumann. The loudest voices on the right don't want the best candidate, they want the most conservative candidate.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Neumann the Evil got my vote, the devil made me do it. He certainly wears his pants higher than the rest.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Madsci wrote:Neumann. He certainly wears his pants higher than the rest.

Damn! I hadn't noticed that. Let the record show, someone on the Forum pointed something out that caused another Foron to change his mind.

Doesn't happen every day.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:34 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I've seen Hovde's polling gap close by 10 points in a couple months. He's got the money and people dig on that whole "pulling myself up by the bootstraps" shit.

Where would people be getting that impression from? He's yet another family money rich guy. Worse yet, as far as this election goes he's a carpetbagger who hasn't even lived in Wisconsin for years. Isn't anyone on the right disgusted by these millionaire douchebags buying elections? C'mon people.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Let's keep it fun. Drop and give me 50. That's what Tommy did for the editorial board of the Milwaukee Sentinel, to prove he's in good enough shape to represent Wisconsin in the Senate. Does two sets of 50 every day, pretty good for a guy that's 70. This is the kind o'shit that plays well outstate. Doesn't matter that it doesn't matter. Bring on Tammy. And that ain't going to be a fair arm wrasslin' contest.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:11 pm

minicat wrote:Where would people be getting that impression from?

All people need to do is hear it once, then believe it. This is how he plays it in his ads as well. For fuck sake, we've got Romney doing the same thing. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain giving me money to start a business.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:18 pm

gargantua wrote:
Madsci wrote:Neumann. He certainly wears his pants higher than the rest.

Damn! I hadn't noticed that. Let the record show, someone on the Forum pointed something out that caused another Foron to change his mind.

Doesn't happen every day.

The things I notice on political ads! At least Tommy has lightened up on the makeup.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:31 pm

He got his ass kicked in the GOP primary, now this: Millionaire Neumann asks for money to pay bills
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government