MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Meade » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 pm

No one around here seems to be talking about him much anymore.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:01 am

Meade wrote:No one around here seems to be talking about him much anymore.

Nice try dork.

p.s.- remember the Koch boys, afp, the HF, RonJohn, etc. All ever present, annoying, and tedious. All who work to crack stones do so with a slow steady effort, so it's funny you throw lack of attention to a poster boy of these groups out there on this forum as such attention maintains light on the underwriters of your movement of choice.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53 am

After Walker's 2.6 billion in cuts to education, my sister the school teacher remembers him every day.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:36 am

Meade wrote:No one around here seems to be talking about him much anymore.

He was lying on national TV just yesterday.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:00 am

Portage School District is closing two schools this fall to close their budget deficit. They may close a third school also depending on total enrollment.

Scott Walker is a hypocrite. He talks about local control and "tools" (was he talking about himself) to help but won't let the local district if they want raise their property taxes to pay for schools. If local cotrol is truly the goal, why not let each district by election of local officals determine their own rate of property tax? If your current real estate tax rate is too high move to a lower tax rate district.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:16 am

While we're remembering things, remember Romney's refusal to release his tax returns and the subsequent leakage onto Gawker? Hawkhead, have you looked at that stuff? What's you're opinion--actionable tax evasion or just appropriately gaming the system?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:32 am

Detritus wrote:While we're remembering things, remember Romney's refusal to release his tax returns and the subsequent leakage onto Gawker? Hawkhead, have you looked at that stuff? What's you're opinion--actionable tax evasion or just appropriately gaming the system?

No I haven't looked at the stuff Gawker released. I would not advertise myself as an international tax expert eventhough I have a handful of clients that fit that bill.

I would guess that there are some very grey area tax strategies used by Mitt. Issues that push the limits but haven't been litigated in the tax courts to know if they are out-of-bounds or not.

My feeling is the rules are the rules on taxes and you play by the current rules. I may not agree with some but I would never "short" a client because I thought a law was "wrong". That doesn't mean that I don't advocate for changing tax policy thru my membership in the WICPA and AICPA.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 am

HawkHead wrote:
Detritus wrote:No I haven't looked at the stuff Gawker released. I would not advertise myself as an international tax expert eventhough I have a handful of clients that fit that bill.

I would guess that there are some very grey area tax strategies used by Mitt. Issues that push the limits but haven't been litigated in the tax courts to know if they are out-of-bounds or not.

My feeling is the rules are the rules on taxes and you play by the current rules. I may not agree with some but I would never "short" a client because I thought a law was "wrong". That doesn't mean that I don't advocate for changing tax policy thru my membership in the WICPA and AICPA.

Thanks for your expert guesses and feelings, HawkHead.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:46 am

Detritus wrote:Hawkhead, have you looked at that stuff? What's you're opinion--actionable tax evasion or just appropriately gaming the system?

You're welcome Meade. Stop being an ass.

If you read the post above my response Detritus was asking for my opinion. I gave him my opinion. Since I haven't seen Mitt's tax returns or the Gawker information I really can't have an expert opinion at this point. That is why I guessed at what might be found.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:34 am

That is why I thanked you for your expert guesses and feelings.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:00 am

Meade wrote:That is why I thanked you for your expert guesses and feelings.

Says the retired landscaper to the working CPA.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lingyu » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I don't spend much time around here, but whenever I do spend time here I see posts by this character. I believe that his wife is a law professor collecting a paycheck courtesy of the taxpayers, while spending some of her time blogging. I enjoy the blog, particularly the moments of hypocrisy e.g. when his wife whines about Madison snowplow drivers taking an extra lap around the square and blowing their horns while the protests were going on. As if she's never blogging on our dime... I don't have a big problem with her blogging, and the photos she posts are a lot of fun. I just think that the happy couple should remember where their bread and butter comes from - the taxpayer. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong "mead".
Lingyu

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:27 pm

Apologies accepted, Lingyu.

If you fully understood what my wife does as a law professor and what I do as a taxpayer, you would realize that hour for hour and dollar for dollar, we are net contributors to the University of Wisconsin, the state of Wisconsin and to the city of Madison. Are you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Says the retired landscaper to the working CPA.

Says super liberal non elitist proud progressive, Henry V.

Your "working CPA" friend must be temporarily retired for today, Hen. He sure seems to be commenting up a storm. NTTAWWT.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Meade wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:Says the retired landscaper to the working CPA.

Says super liberal non elitist proud progressive, Henry V.

Your "working CPA" friend must be temporarily retired for today, Hen. He sure seems to be commenting up a storm. NTTAWWT.

Of course if I am owner/partner in the firm I can do what I want if I drive revenue and take care of clients.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government