MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bourdain, Zimmern, and Fieri

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Bourdain, Zimmern, and Fieri

Postby john_titor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I have had an interesting relationship with all three.

After about five years of ignoring his shows based on his look alone, I finally broke down and watched Diners Drive-Ins and Dives. He seems like a nice person. A top show when I am hungry.

Zimmern used to really bug the crap out of me. I hated how he made "my head is orbiting the moon" faces when he ate something he liked, and how loudly he masticated. By Zeus, I was drawn to him as a moth to a flame. I think what really sets him apart is his ability to describe with words what he tastes and feels as he eats. I happened upon TBP's blog the other day to see what seems to be a weenie move by Andrew against our team. So I am torn.

When I read Bourdain's book I was pissed off. Outside of the heroin stuff, every chef/cook had those same stories and could have written that book. I followed his TV career from the start. He kind of became a little too hep for his own good, usually identifiable by the rubbing/twitching of his fingers, to the point I was getting sick of him. But, I really liked The Layover stuff. It actually made me want to consider visiting L.A. His Austin farewell tour show was/is a bit much. We'll see. You likey? Anyone know anything about the CNN show? Am I missing anybody? Man vs. Food just seems vulgar and wrong.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bourdain, Zimmern, and Fieri

Postby Igor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Son and wife watch them all - I am sometimes in the room. You could make a drinking game out of the phrases that Fieri uses. He never dislikes anything. "Ohhh that is OUT of BOUNDS!"

Zimmern's show just isn't that interesting to me. It seems like a couple kids betting on the weirdest thing they will shove up their nose.

Bourdain seems like a douche. Not sure if that is for show - it certainly seems real.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:45 am

I agree to all but one; Zimmern's show Bizarre "X" Foods, hasn't been in a long time. Maybe his first season when they would actually travel the world to find weird stuff to eat, but not so much anymore. But, I like your idea. Who Can Become the Most Food Poisoned!
Make it a Cup Series.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 pm

I sometimes watch Bourdain and read one of his books. Igor I don't think he's faking the pompous ass thing. He does seem to have issues. He does seem to know his food and his corner of the food biz tho.

Fieri is kinda fun to watch because he's such an outrageous goof and puts out some tasty stuff too. Love the car he drives for the diners show. It's fun to see how he features some of the local "mom and pop" places across the United States, how they win over their locals, and serve up unique and/or very well loved food. But, yeah, his show is ripe with buzz words ripe for a drinking game!!

Man vs Food is pure slobbery and gluttony like hot dog or pie eating contests. Whatever, some people like them but, for lack of a better word, yuk.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 am

I only really watch these shows when I'm traveling for work so my exposure is lessened, but if there is a No Reservations marathon on the Travel Channel I'm guaranteed to accomplish nothing at the hotel that night. I can't quite say why but I'm absolutely enamored with Bourdain's prickly and sarcastic tone.

For someone who's only seem very limited amounts of Guy Fieri the level of white-hot hate I hold for that piece of shit is probably excessive.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 am

If ever there was a post begging to be re-cast as an FMK exercise, it is this one.

Also, Lily: you may have been riffing on the topic rather than answering directly, but since you addressed Bourdain, Fieri, and Man vs. Food, I think you might be confusing MvF's host (Adam Richman) with Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 am

I like Zimmern because he reminds me of my favorite Three Stooges (Curley, not Curley Joe).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:23 pm

wallrock wrote:For someone who's only seem very limited amounts of Guy Fieri the level of white-hot hate I hold for that piece of shit is probably excessive.

I tell ya I was the same way, even more so with Zimmern.

Fieri I would marry.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

john_titor wrote:
wallrock wrote:For someone who's only seem very limited amounts of Guy Fieri the level of white-hot hate I hold for that piece of shit is probably excessive.

I tell ya I was the same way, even more so with Zimmern.

Fieri I would marry.

You want to marry this guy?

http://gawker.com/5850521/guy-fieri-acc ... iking-gays

The dude seems like a total douchenozzle, plus he's seemingly never tried anything on his show that wasn't "spot on."
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:40 pm

I like him better on TV? I want to save my K?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:16 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:... Also, Lily: you may have been riffing on the topic rather than answering directly, but since you addressed Bourdain, Fieri, and Man vs. Food, I think you might be confusing MvF's host (Adam Richman) with Andrew Zimmern, host of Bizarre Foods.

Yeah, probably. I can't take most tv shows too seriously. I've only seen the commercials for Bizarre Foods and never watched the show but I have seen MvF with Adam Richman.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Another clip show. He "apologized" for his last one, then runs another. Oh well. Maybe they have some up and comer in the wings.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:17 am

They all possess tremendous egos and after giving each of their shows a legit shot, I can't stand any of them.

The celebrity chef thing befuddles me, mainly because the Food Network approach to food has almost nothing to do with me. Meanwhile, over on public television's Create, I'm actually learning things and being entertained at the same time.

Kimball, Ming, Pepin. That's my trio of TV food guys. And the woman on New Scandinavian Cooking.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:23 am

O.J. wrote:The dude seems like a total douchenozzle, plus he's seemingly never tried anything on his show that wasn't "spot on."

Guess you missed the episode with peanut butter on a burger... he was NOT amused!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Adam Powell » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 am

CREATE is excellent.

I also love the Scandinavian Cooking trip, with the cliff-top breezes gently tugging at the host's gored and gusseted tunic while she stirs dill into smoked salmon and potato salad.
Adam Powell
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues