MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

No FOIA for you!!!

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

No FOIA for you!!!

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Lawyers in GOP redistricting case withheld 34 emails from groups

The newly uncovered emails show:

A July 2011 public hearing before a Senate committee was highly orchestrated, with attorneys for the Legislature recruiting people to testify, outlining the testimony of witnesses and writing questions for the Republican members of the committee.

One email from attorney Jim Troupis to others working on redistricting discussed plans to prepare GOP committee members for the public hearing. "I assume this is just to say, 'Don't say much . . . ,' " Troupis wrote.

The redistricting team made a concerted effort to keep Latinos within the same Senate district so that if a court found problems with the way the maps were drawn, the changes that were needed would be minimal.

More evidence of two long-held contentions of mine: 1) Republicans can't win elections without gaming the system. Or at least, they sure as shit don't think they can. 2) Republicans are disproportionately technologically illiterate. Email leaves a trail. PERIOD. How many GOP pederasts and assorted other conservative criminals have to be taken down this way before they figure this shit out?! Lawyers should whisper over martinis at lunch. Never, ever, send that shit around electronically.

Or do ... because, ya know, it's pretty amusing watching y'all get caught with your pants down (in both the literal and metaphorical sense).
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No FOIA for you!!!

Postby rabble » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Well... that's great that they got caught after the fact and all, but they got the job done and I didn't see anything in the article that said there was a chance those maps were going to be redrawn.

So there they are sitting there smirking. "It's done, we got what we wanted. Whatcha gonna do about it suckers?" Basically proof that playing by the rules is for losers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No FOIA for you!!!

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Yeah, the judges pretty much summed it up in the ruling last year. Completely horrible process, but not actually against the rules.

They could have passed exactly the same map right out in the open. Given the time frame in which they passed it, there probably wouldn't have even been an increased the number of protesters at the capital.

Mean Scenester wrote:Republicans are disproportionately technologically illiterate. Email leaves a trail. PERIOD. How many GOP pederasts and assorted other conservative criminals have to be taken down this way before they figure this shit out?!

I don't know about that, Anthony Wiener comes to mind. I think a lot of people in high power positions have the same general lack of understanding of technology. Once had a Doctor client confused about why some of his software wasn't working. It was installed on a PC that he had replaced recently. The old machine was unplugged and boxed up in the corner. You spend 4 years in pre-med or pre-law followed by medical school or law school, you probably don't spend a lot of time learning how technology (outside of your field) works.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government