MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Sustainable Atwood's Tree Inventory

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Sustainable Atwood's Tree Inventory

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:57 pm

http://sustainableatwood.org/tree-inventory/

Disclaimer: I live somewhere in here so I think this is pretty damn cool. Your mileage may vary.

It's google earth-like software. Same sort of interface but to look up an address you have to include the ,Madison, WI suffix.

But you can zoom, drag, and click. Fruit and nut trees are blue, ash is red, and everything else is green.

This inventory came up with a little over 5400 trees on or near private property and combined with the City's survey of right-of-way trees, the full total is 8 thousand something.

This data is already being used by researchers all over the country.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sustainable Atwood's Tree Inventory

Postby Stomach » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:01 pm

It looks like somebody is having a smoke outside the Harmony.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:06 pm

That guy next to the Callery Pear tree? Yeah, looks like.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:07 pm

That's pretty damn cool.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Wow, they even did all the little evergreen bushes in the park area across from the Harmony.

Nice job, someone.

The base photo is a few years old -- they hadn't finished the Goodman Center parking area yet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Twink found the grant money and did most of the networking. UW Forestry, Gere Tree Care and several other groups were involved. For the boots on the ground stuff, at the presentation the UW Forestry prof mentioned that 60 percent of the legwork was done by one grad student and I missed his name.

The tree heights were calculated by matching up the GPS locations with a LIDAR run over Madison. LIDAR measures the height of everything in the sweep. It even figured out where the tree's canopy started, ie how high off the ground the lowest branches are.

And they matched it up to the NASA satellite images of heat, CO2, and Nitrogen. Whole lotta research goin on.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:25 pm

Was there a particular purpose (like figuring out what will be lost if the emerald ash borer takes out the ash trees) or is it just for general information?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:41 am

Comparing ash trees to all the others was definitely high priority. That's why they're red. Notice that Circle Park out by Atwood and Fair Oaks is about two thirds ash trees. Now they know exactly where they're going to want new trees soonest.

I got the distinct impression from everybody there that the ash trees are already written off and the question is how many years they've got left. So it's high on the list.

But they also want to increase tree density in the hot spots, maintain the canopy in general, get a better handle on diversity, and get some data on which trees do well or worse around other trees. Stuff like that. And extrapolate all that around the city and state. And country. Apparently nobody out there is getting a count on the private property trees, which is something like 90 percent of the canopy. They even managed to quantify the dollar benefit of a full size tree for cooling, water retention, et cetera. About 250 dollars per year, I think.

I sure wish they'd put those power point presentations on the site. There was some good info there.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:08 am

I too get the impression the loss of the ash trees is more a question of when than if. Apparently they have pesticides that might work against the emerald ash borer, but are loath to use them because of their toxicity. Clearly we're trying not to crap up our environment any more than necessary. So the next option is getting a head start on planting replacements before removal becomes necessary.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Town Vibe