MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Hunting and trapping coming to State parks

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Hunting and trapping coming to State parks

Postby Beaver » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 am

Hunting and trapping will be allowed in State parks starting Jan 2013. Be careful on the trails. Republicans think there is nothing wrong with shooting near nature-loving hikers.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/hunt/

"One part of a new law the Wisconsin legislature approved earlier this year - Act 168, known as the Sporting Heritage Bill – expands hunting and trapping in state parks.

Act 168, which goes into effect Jan. 1, 2013, allows the DNR to prohibit hunting and trapping within 100 yards of a designated use area such as a campground, picnic area, or beach. A determination to prohibit hunting and trapping in any other areas of a state park, a portion of a state park, or during certain time periods must be approved by a majority of the Natural Resources Board, and can only be approved to protect public safety or unique natural resources such as fragile plant or animal habitat.

While Act 168 allows hunting when any season is open, the department is proposing that the board allow hunting in parks from Oct. 15 through the Thursday prior to the Memorial Day weekend. Maps of the proposed open and closed areas can now be reviewed below."
Last edited by Beaver on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hunting an trapping coming to State parks

Postby Meade » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am

Beaver wrote:Republicans think there is nothing wrong with shooting near nature-loving hikers.

Depends on what you mean by "near".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 pm

We use state parks as places we can hike in the fall and winter during hunting season as most of the conservancy areas allow hunting. We won't be buying a state park sticker next year as that is its sole value to us.

(And yes, the hiking we have done included areas of the state that were not restricted to shotgun for those of you who understand what that means.)
Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Nick Berigan wrote:We use state parks as places we can hike in the fall and winter during hunting season as most of the conservancy areas allow hunting. We won't be buying a state park sticker next year as that is its sole value to us.

My guess is that the loss of state park sticker fees for this reason is going to be a lot less than the value of the hunting permits sold.

Just a hunch. I'm on Nick's side, it was kinda nice to have a place to hike during hunting season where you knew that anybody with a gun was breaking the law.

But that's just reminiscing about the good ol days.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hunting and trapping coming to State parks

Postby uhduh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:51 pm

How in the world did hunting become allowed in state parks and on the Ice Age Trail, and for SEVEN months of the year? I and many of my friends use the state parks year round, including tent camping in the wintertime. I've checked the maps for Blue Mound, Devil's Lake, Governor Dodge, Mirror Lake, Capitol Springs, and Governor Nelson, in other words, all the parks near where I live and that we use for recreation. In all but Gov Nelson, hunting will be allowed in nearly 90% of the park. Almost all of the cross country ski trails are now going to be open to hunting. What in the hell was the legislature thinking? I used to avoid hiking on the Ice Age Trail during the gun deer season because I felt it was not safe. I could always go to a state park to hike during that time. Now it's not even safe to go to the state parks during the cross country ski season. I belong to an outdoor group with nearly 1500 members. I lead snow shoe or cross country ski outings to the nearby state parks when there is snow on the ground. I lead hikes when we can't ski or snowshoe. I've seen mountain bikers when I was hiking; their trails are now open to hunting also. There are a multitude of places hunters are allowed to hunt that are on state property that is not appropriate for camping, skiing etc. These are all listed on plat books, and may not necessarily be on or at least listed on regular maps. I think it would be in the public’s best interest (and safety) to publicize the places hunters may use, and go back not allowing hunting in the state parks. I could concede allowing hunting in the parks for a SHORT season, one or two weeks, but not for seven months. There are approximately 5,712,000 residents in Wisconsin; there are approximately 400,000 hunters in the state. Why would the 7% of the population that hunts be allotted 58% of the year to pursue their sport on lands that we all own? I've never endangered anyone while skiing, snowshoeing or hiking. I understand that fatalities have dropped over the years, but now I strongly suspect that will change for the worse with the increased possibility of close encounters with non-hunters. Not everyone can afford to travel to private cross country ski resorts.
uhduh

Return to Local Politics & Government