MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Romney paid no taxes from 1996 To 2009

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Romney paid no taxes from 1996 To 2009

Postby Beaver » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 pm

Not surprised to hear this but I hope it gets some mainstream media attention.

Romney Paid Zero Taxes From 1996 To 2009
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/11/0 ... 96-To-2009

"Harry Reid was right. Bloomberg finally cracked the story...Using a tax shelter called a CRUT (charitable remainder unitrust) that was held by the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons), Mitt Romney was able to pay zero taxes (legally) every single year from 1996 to 2009."

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-2 ... tions.html
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Romney paid no taxes from 1996 To 2009

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Beaver wrote:Not surprised to hear this but I hope it gets some mainstream media attention.

So did he do anything illegal? I saw no allegations of that in the Bloomberg article.

If that is true, I guess it would mean that you expect him to pay more taxes than he is legally required to.

What about you, Beaver? Do you pay more taxes than you are legally obliged to?

No? Didn't think so.

Pure comedy gold.

John Henry

BTW: Romney actually did pay more taxes than legally required to in 2011 since he did not claim all his charitable deductions.

Unlike, say, Hilary and Bill who even deducted the value of their used skivvies from their taxes.
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Beaver wrote:Not surprised to hear this but I hope it gets some mainstream media attention.

One thing this does illustrate is how screwed up our current tax code is. There is WAAAAAY too much complexity.

If Obama is elected and has any sense he will adopt a flat tax plan. 17% on everything with virtually no deductions. 0% on gains on capital assets held for 10-15 years.

(Or something similar. I am open to discussion on the actual rate for tax and years for cap gains)

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:59 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:If Obama is elected and has any sense he will adopt a flat tax plan. 17% on everything with virtually no deductions.

A clarification:

Big initial deduction. No tax at all on the first $30-40m of family income.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:25 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:(Or something similar. I am open to discussion on the actual rate for tax and years for cap gains)

Well, thank god you're open to discussion. When America needs something important done, they can always rely on John Henry.

How's your write-in campaign going?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:19 am

pjbogart wrote:How's your write-in campaign going?

?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GuardianAngel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:39 pm

This making of excuses for the guy you back, no matter how egregious a thing he's been proven to have done, always makes me cringe. It's like you think you'll explode if you admit the guy you support is a low-life. You won't. You'll actually feel a lot better about yourself if you have that much integrity. Believe it or not.

This isn't about whether or not the man paid taxes to help the country that enabled him to get stinking rich. It's not about whether he did something illegal or not either. It's about his patriotism, and his personal integrity. It's about lying through his teeth basically. And he not only lied about it, he made up a story about how "someone in the White House" must have made the whole thing up. Remember: both the lying, and the gutless attempt to blame someone else when you get caught, are legal. It's not exactly a very high standard to hold the guy you're considering electing to the presidency to.

Lots of things are legal that are disgusting. I don't remember who brought up Bill Clinton, but something tells me that when Bill Clinton got caught in an equally unequivocal lie, you probably wouldn't have made the excuse that his affair with Miss Lewinsky, and the lies he told about it, were legal. Am I close?

It's dishonest to make excuses for someone else's dishonesty by saying "he didn't do anything illegal did he?" But to vote for him, after you've been shown, and basically agreed that yes, he did something this revoltingly unpatriotic, and revoltingly dishonest, is something besides merely dishonest. I just haven't quite figured out what to call it yet.
GuardianAngel

Postby KidCapitol » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm always good with ANYBODY who doesn't pay taxes no matter who it is for whatever reason.
The less money the military gets for murdering innocent children with their bombs and bullets the better.
People who do pay taxes are supporting the killing of civilians.
They should be shamed and those who don't pay taxes are heros.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Tapeworms don't pay taxes. Schistosomes don't pay taxes. Deer ticks don't pay taxes. What else do these have in common?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government