MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Thunderstorm Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Old Cafe Momo/Underground Kitchen space question

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Old Cafe Momo/Underground Kitchen space question

Postby Whirlz » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Has anybody read anything (or know) re a new restaurant opening in this space at 127 E Miff?

I thought I read something in one of the local papers, but I cant find anything via a web search.

I guess Underground Kitchen will be going to Willy St under a new name.

Thanks for any help
Whirlz

Re: Old Cafe Momo/Underground Kitchen space question

Postby nichole » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:25 am

A place called Veritas is moving into the Mercury space next to the former Underground Kitchen. Was that it? http://www.dane101.com/current/2012/12/ ... nimously_w
nichole

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:47 am

Whirlz wrote:I guess Underground Kitchen will be going to Willy St under a new name.

Forequarter?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 am

O.J. wrote:
Whirlz wrote:I guess Underground Kitchen will be going to Willy St under a new name.

Forequarter?

No, the UFC is re-launching Kitchen in the space behind Bon Appetit on Willy, next door to the new Butcher shop.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=37219

As to the former Kitchen space, I recall fellow Isthmus contributor Andre Darlington saying something about it during his appearance on the Arts Extract podcast; he's available for pestering on Twitter at @andredarlington. I haven't located any published news as of yet.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 am

Nice. It's getting harder and harder to choose a restaurant on Willy, that street has seen quite an influx in quality eateries.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:19 am

According to this article, it's going to be a Dan Fox farm-to-table venture:

The building’s first floor is again set to be a restaurant. Dan Fox, a former executive chef at the Madison Club, said he and his business partner, Chad Vogel, intend to open a “farm-to-table” restaurant in the space in late spring. It is to be called Fox & Bird (“Vogel” means bird in German).

Fox is the "Slo-Pig" guy who butchered a pig at the Isthmus Food and Wine Fest. So if it all works out, that should be another dining destination on that end of the square. Remember when that spot was the ONLY place worth visiting near the square? I mean, along with Buck's of course.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:18 pm

Great news all around... except, I guess, for the fact that the least expensive studio apartment in that building will have jumped from $645 to over a grand. And that, folks, is part of the price of salvaging the old and keeping heights low.

I'm delighted by the continuity. I've walked that block, and sat out on that sidewalk, more times than I could count. I've had many memorable gigs, parties, and evenings out in that building (all Momo), and hope to have many fine meals there once Fox & Bird is open. But it's not so great for those who could once afford to live at that address and now cannot.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Ducatista wrote:Great news all around... except, I guess, for the fact that the least expensive studio apartment in that building will have jumped from $645 to over a grand. And that, folks, is part of the price of salvaging the old and keeping heights low.

I'm delighted by the continuity. I've walked that block, and sat out on that sidewalk, more times than I could count. I've had many memorable gigs, parties, and evenings out in that building (all Momo), and hope to have many fine meals there once Fox & Bird is open. But it's not so great for those who could once afford to live at that address and now cannot.

Do you really think new construction would have been any cheaper?

Look at the prices in the new Capitol Hill Apartments:
http://uli.com/residential/properties/capitol-hill

... versus the Constellation down on E. Washington:
http://www.madisonproperty.com/mpm_constellation.aspx

... and for more comparison, ULI's new construction on Livingston:
http://uli.com/residential/properties/livingston-place

Regardless, that plot of land could have been built to the Capitol View Preservation Limit. ULI chose to rehab instead.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:22 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Do you really think new construction would have been any cheaper?

Would've been? I don't know. Could've been? Yes.

green union terrace chair wrote:Regardless, that plot of land could have been built to the Capitol View Preservation Limit. ULI chose to rehab instead.

Right. I like that about ULI, and so did the previous owner of the building.

madison.com wrote:Hendrickson...had several purchase offers, he said, including one from a developer who wanted to raze the building and put up a high-rise.

He chose to sell to Urban Land Interests because of the company’s “expertise and reputation” in reclaiming old buildings, he said.

Anne Morrison, a development associate with Urban Land Interests, described the building as “handsome but a background building”—one that may not stand out but that nonetheless contributes something important to the overall mix of architecture.

“You have to decide whether you like old buildings—and we do—because it’s not always the most financially advantageous way to go,” she said.

As I said, I'm delighted with the outcome. But as older downtown housing stock decays (or burns), aesthetically and/or nostalgically pleasing rehabs or replacements will typically cost more than less appealing options, like high-rises. And developers, even "good guys" like ULI, aren't in the habit of eating that extra cost.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Ducatista wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Do you really think new construction would have been any cheaper?

Would've been? I don't know. Could've been? Yes.

green union terrace chair wrote:Regardless, that plot of land could have been built to the Capitol View Preservation Limit. ULI chose to rehab instead.

Right. I like that about ULI, and so did the previous owner of the building.

madison.com wrote:Hendrickson...had several purchase offers, he said, including one from a developer who wanted to raze the building and put up a high-rise.

He chose to sell to Urban Land Interests because of the company’s “expertise and reputation” in reclaiming old buildings, he said.

Anne Morrison, a development associate with Urban Land Interests, described the building as “handsome but a background building”—one that may not stand out but that nonetheless contributes something important to the overall mix of architecture.

“You have to decide whether you like old buildings—and we do—because it’s not always the most financially advantageous way to go,” she said.

As I said, I'm delighted with the outcome. But as older downtown housing stock decays (or burns), aesthetically and/or nostalgically pleasing rehabs or replacements will typically cost more than less appealing options, like high-rises. And developers, even "good guys" like ULI, aren't in the habit of eating that extra cost.

Okay, I am mostly agreeing with you then. Your earlier post made it seem like you were implying that the city wouldn't allow something taller (also taken in light of your discussion with snoqueen on the Langdon area).

ULI did make the project a bit taller ... they added the fifth floor penthouse in order to make it "work financially." Some residents in Hamilton Point were annoyed at even that and probably would have thrown a fit if a twelve-story replacement building had been proposed for the site.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:15 pm

I think the city height regulations -- or at least standard heights -- on the blocks adjacent to the square (including the Momo block) are the maximum state statutory height, which is at the "shoulders" of the capitol (I can't remember the exact measurement). All around are taller things, and I completely applaud ULI for sticking with the height they chose for the Momo building. I was past there today and it looks great. The extra story doesn't spoil the traditional look of the old building -- it's plainly and frankly an add-on but I didn't hate it at all. In fact, those are going to be some nice penthouse apartments, from the look of it.

Yep, prices will go up. That's a given. In my opinion (which nobody asked for) upscaling of an area that's pretty much destined for gentrification (like this block) is best when it's gradual, so too many people aren't displaced all at once (well, the fire took care of that) and changes to the social life nearby are similarly incremental.

I think that's what's happening here. The blocks to the east of this one aren't changing much at all, but just wait ten years. If we have anything approaching prosperity in this town, they're next. That's a reasonably well-organized neighborhood politically speaking, and it's in for interesting times.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 pm

It would be interesting to see what the cheapest rent is within a block of the Square. I lived in the two-bedroom above the old Ian's at 115 State (at the time it was La Brioche bakery) and it was an affordable dump for a couple of poor college kids. There are apartments above Teddy Wedgers, right? I don't think any spaces on King, East Main, Pinckney, MLK or Carroll are apartments. There's that spot at the bottom of the 100 block of N. Hamilton that I think became a condo, right? The Baskerville?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews