MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Office Headphone Recommendations*?

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Office Headphone Recommendations*?

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:31 pm

So I did the thing where I roll my chair over my headphone cord one too many times. The chair ripped the headphones off my head and smashed them into the cement floor. I am looking for any advice as to new headphones to consider.

I guess I am looking for over-the-ear. Earbuds leave me with a phantom earbud feeling all night. I usually play the music low so I can hear if someone sneaks up and starts talking to me.

Seeing as how dimes get stolen from my desk, I would rather not have to leave an expensive pair of headphones out over night. Say under a C note (heh music).

tia!

*edit: damn you, spelchek
Last edited by john_titor on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Office Headphone Recommendtions?

Postby fennel » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm

Are these strictly for listening, or do you need a mouthpiece for skyping and so forth? BTW, do you not have a drawer that locks?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

I have Sennheiser HD280's and I'd recommend them. A similarly priced set of Shure, Sony, Beyer, or AT will do just as we'll. if you ever reconsider earbuds the Westone 3 drivers kinda blow your mind, the 4 drivers somehow moreso.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:11 pm

fennel wrote:Are these strictly for listening? BTW, do you not have a drawer that locks?

Yes. And Yes.

fisticuffs wrote:I have Sennheiser HD280's and I'd recommend them.

I'll check them out, thanks!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ttusker » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:19 am

I also recommend Sennheiser. I have a pair of their over-the-ear 'phones, and I love them. I don't know the model number, but as I recall, I spent around $65 for them two years ago (on sale). They're light, very comfortable, and they sound superb.

BTW JT, I enjoyed your ode (in another thread) to the joys of two-stage snowblowing today's white stuff. I was out there launching it 30 feet from the sidewalk onto the side lawn where it can sit 'til spring and not bother me. Perfect snow for my machine.
Ttusker

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am

Koss UR/29

Less than 30 bucks (!) and they sound as good or better than the Sennheiser, Shure and Sony offerings at more than twice the price. And they're guaranteed for life. You break 'em, they replace 'em. (I know, I've done it twice now.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:39 am

I use an old pair of Sony MDR7506. Not sure if I would have bought them myself (a gift), but they are really nice. I can't do earbuds.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Office Headphone Recommendations?

Postby john_titor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:27 pm

Ttusker wrote:I also recommend Sennheiser.

BTW JT, I enjoyed your ode

Rock it!

jman111 wrote:Koss UR/29

Less than 30 bucks (!) and they sound as good or better than the Sennheiser, Shure and Sony offerings at more than twice the price. And they're guaranteed for life. You break 'em, they replace 'em. (I know, I've done it twice now.)

You had me at 30. Do they hurt your ears at all? Right now I can feel those stupid earbuds, and they have been out for over an hour.

I wonder if I could send back my broken headphones.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Office Headphone Recommendations*?

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:49 pm

john_titor wrote:You had me at 30. Do they hurt your ears at all?

Not at all. They are over-the-ear headphones (which is, essentially, "around" the ear) with decent foam padding. Very little contact with your ears at all (unlike "on-ear" varieties).

One more thing, these are pretty isolating due to the snug fit. I like them because my coworkers cannot hear my music when I turn it up a bit. If you really like to be able to hear what's going on around you, you may prefer the UR/40 model with the "hear-through" screened ear cups. They're only a few bucks more.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Sweet:

Price: $28.98 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. Details You Save: $11.01 (28%) (ed. note: I love details)

Do they make "extension cords" for whatever those jacks are called? I want to try and rig something up to go up and over the desk to avoid the rolly pully breaky thing.

edit: nm - Maxell HP-20 Headphone Extension Cord with Adapters -$8.41 Kind of stiff though. Gonna look around.

edit #2: Your Cable Store 15 Foot 1/4" (6.3mm) Stereo Extension Cable Male / Female - $5.99

edit #3: Stereo Headphone Extension 12 feet 3.5mm Price: $1.69 TA DA!

fin.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:18 am

I like them. Thank you again for the recommendation. I had forgotten about bass. The extension cord worked out well too. It is of a heavier gauge and solid.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music