MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Specialty Coffee in Madison

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Specialty Coffee in Madison

Postby kimm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

I'm new to the specialty coffee scene, as a friend on the East Coast just started her own specialty roasting business. I'm a loyal mailorder customer of hers, and recently picked up a Chemex to improve my coffee brewing at work without the mess of a French press. Treked over to Johnson Bros. at Christmastime for some gifts based on their Bucky Book coupon and wanting to check them out, but otherwise I'm a novice to the local scene.

Anyway, my palate needs a little training to get at a finer appreciation of nuanced flavors. Any local roasters offer cuppings?
kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Specialty Coffee in Madison

Postby Rozydog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 am

If you don't mind a little drive, you could try Kickapoo Coffee Roasters in Viroqua, WI. They won roaster of the year in 2010. From their web page:

http://www.kickapoocoffee.com/

"We open our tasting room to the public the last Friday of every month at 10:00 AM. Stop by to get a tour of the roastery and "cup" coffees from around the world. Bring any coffee related questions with you."

You can try their coffees in Madison at La Brioche True Food on University ave. or Bradburys on N. Hamilton.

http://labriochetruefood.com/menu.html
http://www.bradburyscoffee.com/sample-page/

All there roasts are excellent!
Rozydog

Postby barney » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am

Love Kickapoo Coffee! If memory serves me correctly, you can get a Kickapoo Coffee CSA from Harmony Valley.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am

Not cuppings per se, but I recently found out about Berman Coffee in Middleton, where you can 'green" (as in, not yet roasted) coffee. They have a lot of unusual, single source beans and it's kind of a neat thing, if you want to really get your coffee nerd on. (Caution - website is kind of old fashioned - bermancoffee.com.)

It IS more work - you roast the coffee yourself and then grind it, but if you're hardcore about 'the perfect cup', definitely something to consider.

Also, secondsies on the Kickapoo Coffee recommendation - I'm drinking some of theirs right now and it's a-MAAAAAAA-zing!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:52 am

This is a slight digression, but I've been making espresso lately in my old stainless stove-top cafetière. I grind it fine, pack it tightly, and keep the flame quite low so that it finishes not with a paroxysm but with a soft whispery chortle. The liquor is dense and lovely.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 am

I find the term "cuppings" to be hilarious, for what it's worth. Commence with the cupping!

Just Coffee has a tour this weekend. They roast the best in town, I believe, and are dedicated to legit sustainable fair trade.

http://www.justcoffee.coop/
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 am

rrnate wrote:Not cuppings per se, but I recently found out about Berman Coffee in Middleton, where you can 'green" (as in, not yet roasted) coffee. They have a lot of unusual, single source beans and it's kind of a neat thing, if you want to really get your coffee nerd on. (Caution - website is kind of old fashioned - bermancoffee.com.)

This is a great way to explore your preferences for bean variety/source location and extent of roasting. Plus, roasting your own is kinda fun! You can order online for free pickup at Metcalfe Hilldale. Highly recommend.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:25 am

True Coffee on the west side by Quivey's Grove roasts their own beans and has very good coffee. They sell refillable tins that they'll date with the date they roasted the coffee. I don't actually drink coffee myself but my husband loves it.

http://www.truecoffeeroasters.com/default.aspx
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am

jjoyce wrote:I find the term "cuppings" to be hilarious, for what it's worth. Commence with the cupping!

I look for as much body as I can get in my cuppings, with mouth feel being a close second.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

rrnate wrote:I look for as much body as I can get in my cuppings

I look forward to your coming lifestyle article in Juggs magazine.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:40 pm

jjoyce wrote:I find the term "cuppings" to be hilarious, for what it's worth. Commence with the cupping!

Just Coffee has a tour this weekend. They roast the best in town, I believe, and are dedicated to legit sustainable fair trade.

http://www.justcoffee.coop/

If anybody ever says "cuppings" to my face I will slap them across their own with my glove and challenge them to a duel.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm going to have to look into some of these roast-it-yourself options. I bought myself an Aero Press last month and love the damn thing. Best coffee ever. I have one of those little steel Italian espresso pots, which I also love. But the Aero Press is easier. And nerdier.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm going to have to look into some of these roast-it-yourself options.

Use a popcorn popper.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'm going to have to look into some of these roast-it-yourself options.

Where else are you gonna get Blue Mountain coffee under 20 bucks a pound? Well, other than Jamaica, that is.

We've got the Behmor 1600. It's nice for large batches (up to a pound at a time).
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:05 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

Use a popcorn popper.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Whirley-Pops offer more opportunity for manual adjustment of temperature and rotation speed.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews