MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Can the Democratic Party of Wisconsin avoid obsolesence?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Postby minicat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

I.e., will they ever get rid of Mike Tate?

Discuss.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Can the Democratic Party of Wisconsin avoid obsolesence?

Postby pjbogart » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:38 pm

I griped about this after Walker v Barrett II. The Democratic Party seems to take the position that if they can get out the vote in Madison and Milwaukee, they can win Statewide, and occasionally that strategy works. But you don't really need to do much convincin' to get Madisonians to vote, and even less to get them to vote for Democrats. Why not spend some of that money on GOTV in the Fox Valley? From Fond du Lac to Green Bay, you practically have one continuous city that stretches the better part of 100 miles, contains hundred of thousands of voters and is the blue-collar center of our State. They're mostly white and they like guns, but they're also union households who probably suspect that the Republican Party pays them nothing but lip service. And they're right about that.

If you could turn the Fox Valley blue, Republicans would find it virtually impossible to win Statewide offices, which would include Governors, US Senators and even State Supreme Court Justices.

Yeah, and send Mike Tate packing.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Graeme Zielinski too.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby other i » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:23 pm

other i
Forum Addict

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Tate noted a primary in last year's recall push against Walker left the survivor, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, weakened. Walker easily defeated Barrett.

wtf is Tate smoking and why isn't he sharing? Barrett lost because Barrett did a piss poor job running for Governor, Twice.

Either Tate has a second candidate he wants to run after Burke draws fire for a while or he is overly optimistic about Burke surviving a year of being the primary target for the WI GOP.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Burke, Winnebago County Executive Mark Harris and state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout all are mulling getting into the race next year against Republican Gov. Scott Walker.

Run Harris! Even a few percentage point swing in the Fox Valley would sink Walker, if he's not already sunk.

Do you see the blue spots north of Milwaukee? The first one is Fond du Lac, the second one is Oshkosh (Winnebago County), the third one is Neenah, Menasha and Appleton and the fourth one is, of course, Green Bay.

The Fox Cities of Northeastern Wisconsin are the cities, towns and villages along the Fox River as it flows from Lake Winnebago northward into Green Bay. Together they form the core of the third largest metropolitan area of Wisconsin, with a population of 385,264. One of the nation’s longtime leading centers of papermaking and printing, the area is one of the 50 top manufacturing regions in the nation

Oh, for crying out loud, don't select a Democratic candidate from THERE! He might own a gun, like to go fishing and hunting and basically relate to the vast majority of blue collar workers who currently beat themselves over the head by voting Republican.

If Democrats win the Fox Valley, Republicans are sunk. There is no math that would allow them to win Statewide if the Fox Valley turned blue.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby baked goods » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 pm

If I were Walker I would remind the public about the left's recall efforts and how the state was forced to finance the recall so Madison's con-profits could have their cake and eat it too.

I would also remind the public that the government union's pensions are still largely financed by the tax payer, not the government unions.

I would also remind the public that Wisconsin has a stable balance sheet thanks to some reform successes. We don't want to be Detroit, run by selfish government unions who consume more than they produce.

Pension reform is nowhere near complete.
baked goods

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:49 pm

Pension reform is nowhere near complete.

1) You need to watch it, or ten years from now you'll be living in a double-wide and cutting other people's grass for lunch money.

2) Would someone please tell us what con-profits are? Google comes up with nothin'.

3) The Ds winning the Fox Valley would be a prize.. Also in play is the Mississippi Valley, though it isn't as populous. The only sizeable, reliable R region is the Milwaukee suburbs, and I personally think Mary Lazich's district, or parts of it, are tippable too.

4) We need a good Democratic primary. People can get to know the candidates -- and we have some good ones -- and the candidates can be tested in stressful situations. If Mike Tate is standing in the way of this, he needs to move.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wesconsin » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 am

I would also remind the public that Wisconsin has a stable balance sheet thanks to some reform successes.

In short, Walker has added at least $1.44 billion to Wisconsin's Long Term Debt since he became Governor by taking out loans then deferring all loan payments to future years for future Governors to deal with

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57071

about that stable balance sheet.....
wesconsin

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:59 pm

The current state Dems seem really focused on the big ticket races.

If you look at the Assembly seats they've lost in the past general election
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 31341.html

1, 26, 50, 51, 68, 70, 72, 75 and 88 were all lost by around 1,000 (sorry for the rough generalization) votes or less, 100s.

Of those, 1, 26 and 88 are up the Sheboygan/GB/Fox corridor

50, 51, 68, 70, 72, 75 are all around the Dane County/Eau Claire/Minneapolis Hwy routes.

Those, to me, are winnable, surprisingly Dem leaning areas, and on the ground campaign assistance from the state seems less extensive. (again, rough generalizing from the few D volunteers and interns i've known).

Maybe a little more assistance from the state level, over time, would help turn those places blue, and their neighbors, and so on. Of course, that would be the one GOP idea a Dem wouldn't embrace to get more votes in the statewide races. Massive deer hunting photo-op budgets for state candidates will have to suffice.
Cameron Connors

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Well, Harris kowtowed "for now"

Shame, I don't thinking Burke has much of a chance tbh.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Shame, that guy can count and stuff.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=4ab ... d6fc056c67

Not that he'd win either.
Cameron Connors

Postby Cameron Connors » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Some more Tate/Burke handwringing here. Echoing previous posts. A bit old, but hey, it might be new to some of you:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/07/0 ... ok-around#
Cameron Connors

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:35 pm

OK, time to bump this thread. The Wisconsin Democratic Party has now blown three major elections in four years. Although there have been one or two bright spots, in many ways, each election they have done even worse than the previous ones. The Journal-Sentinal's analysis makes some interesting points:

1. Statewide, Burke failed to connect with rural voters and (white) men, whom Walker mobilized well.

2. The Democratic party failed to increase the number of their voters even in their strongholds.

3. Exit polls suggest that 80% of the voters were concerned about the direction of the national economy, but only half that were concerned about the state & local economy.

4. Exit polls also suggest that two-thirds of the voters favor raising the minimum wage.

5. Exit polls indicate only 42% of voters think Walker would make a good President (and only 46% think Ryan would).

What this tells me is that, once again, this election was the Democratic party's to lose, and once again they successfully lost it.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:12 pm

First, Tammy Baldwin wisely stays out of other people's races, but the Ds need to look hard at what she has done and draw some conclusions. She's got something good going on, up to now.

That said, I don't think this election was really the Ds to lose. Some reasons:

-- this was a Republican year on a national scale and Wisconsin got swept up in the same wave as lots of other states;

-- redistricting profits the Rs when it comes to state legislative seats, if that's what you're counting;

-- while I can't find a money count anyplace (so no one can see how much hidden money the Koch empire et al put into Walker's effort) it's reasonable to conclude money made a big difference overall even though officially the Ds didn't do all that badly. I think the outsize money makes its biggest dent in smaller markets not Milw and Madison.

-- Walker is Wisconsin's reincarnation of Joe McCarthy. This is one weird state and we've got an inherited tendency to elect these totally counterproductive, corrupt bullies on a cyclical basis. I've never seen a good explanation of why, since there's no demonstrable benefit, but it's happened before and it's happening again. That's where I agree your polling data and the vote count depict a big mystery. Why do voters do this?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government