MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Clinton's Penis and other Banned Topics

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Clinton's Penis and other Banned Topics

Postby pjbogart » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:34 pm

Ok, so Jason wants us to stay on topic, and I don't disagree with that request. But what are some topics that are never on topic? What irritating subject is essentially always trollery? I mentioned Chappaquiddick, Clinton's Penis and Hitler taking away Jews guns, but surely there's a wealth of pointless, inflammatory and mind-boggingly stupid topics that have a way of infecting our otherwise brilliant conversations. I'll go first...

Watergate. Liberals and conservatives alike seem to have a tough time staying away from ridiculous Watergate comments. You know what Watergate was? A stupid move by Nixon, perpetrated by a few stupid henchmen. You know how it's relevant? It isn't. It says nothing about Republicans, campaign tactics, or current events. When Obama farts at a press conference, all of the nitwits on the blogosphere call it "worse than Watergate", but frankly, half of the shit that goes on in politics today is "worse than Watergate", so stick a sock in it. Watergate has as much relevance in today's political discourse at pointing out that Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and was a Republican.

Your turn...
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Clinton's Penis and other Banned Topics

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:46 pm

Pandergate

Yes, I know, this is a very old and reoccurring irritation.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 am

Benghazi, whatever that's supposed to be about.

That gun thing in Arizona, which showed something about one of our forbidden topics and in addition showed AG Eric Holder was in league with someone or other. Or something.

Any argument about who used the word terrorist first.

What is/was pandergate? All I know was we had a panda gif recently and the panda vanished. Was that about pandergate?

I could do without gates altogether.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:20 am

snoqueen wrote:I could do without gates altogether.

Yeah, you and all of S. Korea apparently...
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:26 am

This is the best thread since Some Girls.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 am

Walker.

No, the other one...

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:02 am

bdog wrote:Walker.

No, the other one...

You mean this one?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:40 am

snoqueen wrote:What is/was pandergate? All I know was we had a panda gif recently and the panda vanished. Was that about pandergate?

When Paul Tsongas was simultaneously running for the Democratic nomination for president and denying that his (eventually fatal) cancer had returned, he did a TV ad attacking his opponents for pandering to the voters. He used a teddy bear as a prop and carefully explained to the camera that it was a "pander bear," which lost all meaning to the vast majority of his audience who, not sharing Tsongas' accent, did not pronounce "panda" as "pander."
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:31 am

NAMBLA. Invoking the name of this bizarre organization is supposed to be some sort of critique of gay marriage or homosexuality in general, but really they're pretty much just a critique of themselves. They aren't liberal, nor conservative, they aren't some oppressed minority having their rights diminished by an authoritarian government. They're just perverts.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 am

pjbogart wrote:NAMBLA. Invoking the name of this bizarre organization is supposed to be some sort of critique of gay marriage or homosexuality in general, but really they're pretty much just a critique of themselves. They aren't liberal, nor conservative, they aren't some oppressed minority having their rights diminished by an authoritarian government. They're just perverts.

The National Association of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:01 am

snoqueen wrote:Our responsibility thus involves and involves remote mind control over unknown forum participants who may post in the future to our topic.

I actually see that as a valid point in some ways. I may be wrong, but I don't think those threads were locked because of the specific topic, but how they were presented. When there is a heated topic and the OP writes a provocative title and then just quotes a news article without commentary, that's like picking a fight. I don't think it's inappropriate to have provocative titles, but people need to back that up with some quality writing. Putting "union thugs" in a title is just asking for trolling and people damn well know it. Sometimes people just want a fight and not a discussion and then complain when the topic gets out of control. There are a lot of great discussions here and it's always nice to see new topics come up. There are times, although, that I see a new thread and immediately know it's going to go south pretty quick. Sometimes it can actually be amusing, but other times it just gets old.

With that said, they better not lock threads about Hitler, cause I needz the drink.

DRINK!
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 am

Even discussions on zoning can be so provocative and disturbing. Or maybe it was just too boring.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 am

The state of health of a certain local Segway owner and whether or not a monument should be erected (Clinton's penis!) in his honor. I thought that thread would never end.

If that isn't banned it should be.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:11 am

Are you saying Clinton's penis has its own Segway?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 am

To be fair to Stebben, he quoted me from a post I deleted before he answered it. I wasn't taking back anything I said, I just decided enough was enough. The main idea was about how, in starting a topic, we very often can't tell --let alone control -- what direction the discussion will go.

I have a whole lot I would like to say about this, but we are busy trying to be all light and fluffy today so I'll hold off on it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All