MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

RIP Voting Rights Act. What Would Dr. King think?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

RIP Voting Rights Act. What Would Dr. King think?

Postby manoletters » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 pm

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174973/wh ... z2XMvoLl5x

I got to hand it to the five reactionary maniacs on the Supreme Court. By "invalidating" Section Four - and by extension, Section Five - the most important provisions of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, they definitively told Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. what he can do with it. "Doc," as Reverend Ralph Abernathy and others called him, must be rolling in his grave. Half a century ago, scores, if not hundreds of people, mostly black, died just to secure their constitutionally-guaranteed right to cast a ballot. Hundreds, even thousands were beaten and tear-gassed. Congress should do something, right? Ah, but didn't 1803's "Marbury v. Madison" Supreme Court ruling confer upon that very same High Court the status of final arbiter of US Laws? You tell me - I'm no lawyer, I just play one on TV. But I DO know that the majority of "justices" on the nations's highest court are WRONG, so WRONG. And I sure as hell don't trust their motives. This is a transparent maneuver to preserve all those unconstitutional "Voter ID" laws, that have sprung up like noxious weeds on America's civil rights landscape. And to enable several states, mostly in Dixie, to continue unimpeded racial discrimination at the polling stations. Yes indeed, the Old South has morphed into the New South, with contemptible servitude and disenfranchisement for millions. It's time to drive a stake into the heart of the "New Confederacy." And don't even get me started on Arizona...
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/27/p ... -decision/
manoletters
Forum Addict

Re: RIP Voting Rights Act. What Would Dr. King think?

Postby Donald » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:49 pm

My guess is King would view the problem now as less regional racism and more a question of profound moral decay in the Republican Party and a failure of American democracy. As the racist "Old South" teamed with corporate selfishness to gain control of the modern Republican Party, the scourge of snarling racist measures to prevent minority voting in the South morphed into the smiling smugness of Republican voter ID laws and other measures enacted in any state where that party holds power.

The map of racism indeed has changed. It has grown, and strengthened in the Republican Party. Chief Justice Roberts unwittingly pointed out this fact, because he is Exhibit A in the rot of racism.

The "Old South" has spent a couple generations bleeding its fetid pus into the Republican Party, and it infected Roberts early. He, who worked for the Reagan administration championing the very changes he now has the power to write into a majority decision, was able hide his racism behind a smug smile until he got done in 2013 what he wanted to do in the 1980s.

But Roberts and the Republican racists can't do what they do without the rest of us. He and the other racists in the Republican Party count on us not to vote in every election, to not protest against injustice and to fail to guard against the placement of racists on the Supreme Court.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 pm

They're a shortsighted bunch and in the long term this is likely to come back to bite them, because the more they gerrymander and obstruct the voters the less likely it becomes that they'll attract more than their present old-white-men demographic to their party.

Meanwhile, the US is well on the way to becoming a majority-minority country and the Rs have already lost the vote of younger people with their negative attitude toward both women and gays. "Non-religious" is the fastest-growing religious demographic, and old white men are dying off. Who's left? Even the most carefully-drawn districts are not immune to population changes, and as those McMansions empty out as their occupants age and die off, who will move in (supposing anybody wants to)?

Can the right wing continue to restrict voting more and more creatively, cutting out still other potential voting blocs as population changes continue over the coming decades? Ifn a decade or two, Latino voters born here will come of age and begin voting and you can be sure they'll remember which party refused to enfranchise their parents. Will the right wing find a way to prevent these younger people from voting, too?

I wouldn't put it past them, but it hasn't happened yet either.

Dr. King would say never give up. He would also not isolate voting from the other social and economic currents of today any more than he did in the 1960s.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:04 am

snoqueen wrote:They're a shortsighted bunch and in the long term this is likely to come back to bite them

I agree but I've come to grips with the realization that the biting is probably going to be done by our grandchildren. Too many damn sheep out there today.

Which really bothered me till I realized my grandchildren are already kicking ass.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:06 pm

This is something I didn't expect:
The day after the Supreme Court quashed the anti-discrimination statute, Rep. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) urged lawmakers to cast aside their differences and restore the rejected provisions for the sake of voter protection.

“The Voting Rights Act is vital to America’s commitment to never again permit racial prejudices in the electoral process,” Sensenbrenner, the second-ranking Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said Wednesday in a statement.

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/30798 ... z2XXOc5slH
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Eric Posner wrote:Chief Justice Roberts’ opinion in Shelby County v. Holder, the Voting Rights Act case, is a pretty lame piece of work.

He's got his reasons. I thought this was interesting:
That leaves the “fundamental principle of equal sovereignty,” the idea that Congress may not single out certain states for special burdens. Yet Roberts is able to cite only the weakest support for this principle—a handful of very old cases that address entirely different matters

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... truck.html

So this not-at-all activist judge is just making shit up.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 pm

I'll probably get some flack for this, but my sense is that most Republicans are not for voter suppression, and they believe in fairness and voting opportunity just as much as Democrats. Now, the strategists & pols driving party policy are a different matter. Republicans often have a very different view of the facts.

The more people look at it, the gutting of the VRA is appalling. There are serious problems that remain - like Texas enacting voter ID when only 81 of 258 counties have DMV offices.

I am not surprised that some Republicans are going to want to rethink the effective elimination of the VRA. For one, a bright light is now going to shine on the abuses, every discrepancy will be blamed on the elimination of the VRA, and the smell will be extra bad. Any tactical gains are coming with bad publicity.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:32 pm

MICHAEL GERSON, conservative columnist on NEWSHOUR tonight:

Well, obviously, I agree with Mark. That's a little more than tinkering on the Voting Rights Act.

This is a case where I think the court -- the majority of the court actually made a pretty good case that this targeting of various states and localities was outdated, that these formulas should be updated. But that's a policy case. There was very little constitutional case here.

You know, the -- if the chief justice wants to make those changes, he can run for the Senate.

MARK SHIELDS: That's right.

MICHAEL GERSON: This was debated by the Congress. They had hearings on this topic, on this specific topic.

Then they came to a decision that Barack Obama voted for and George W. Bush signed. You have to have a compelling constitutional reason to void something like a recent, almost unanimous decision of the Congress. He really -- the chief justice didn't produce that reason.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics ... 06-28.html
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:50 am

Huckleby wrote:I'll probably get some flack for this, but my sense is that most Republicans are not for voter suppression...

Does that mean that most Republicans think Voter ID laws are about stopping fradulent votes, even though no evidence supports that view?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote: Does that mean that most Republicans think Voter ID laws are about stopping fradulent votes, even though no evidence supports that view?

They would say that the evidence given for a lack of fraud is incomplete. IT's true that a tiny percentage of cases for voter fraud are prosecuted, a stat frequently sited by Voter ID opponents. But it's possible that this is because the fraud is difficult to detect when you don't require solid ID.

When Governor Walker said "I have to win by 5% or more to balance the effects of voter fraud", people believed him. There is a sincere, widespread belief among conservatives that voter fraud is going on.

We've all heard the true accounts of ballot-box stuffing in Chicago and other political machine cities. Shinanigans in not-so-distant times are well documented.

My hobby is arguing against the likelihood of significant fraud, so I could give better arguments for that side of the argument.

I believe that compromise is the best approach on issues of election integrity. I think Republicans are wrong, but better to cut a deal than have an endless battle and swinging pendulum.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:35 am

How would Voter ID laws prevent Chicago style ballot stuffing?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:36 am

Huckleby wrote:They would say that the evidence given for a lack of fraud is incomplete. IT's true that a tiny percentage of cases for voter fraud are prosecuted, a stat frequently sited by Voter ID opponents. But it's possible that this is because the fraud is difficult to detect when you don't require solid ID.

When Governor Walker said "I have to win by 5% or more to balance the effects of voter fraud", people believed him. There is a sincere, widespread belief among conservatives that voter fraud is going on.

Yeah, this is the out the racists take: ignorance and delusions. The racists are ignorant people prone to have extreme delusions about what "other" people do. They are ignorant of any real cases of "voter fraud," so they make it up. The few cases that actually happen are as likely to be rich white Republicans voting twice at their vacation homes and primary residences as anyone else. Walker's statement is a perfect example of an ignoramus appealing to the ignoramus vote.

There is no reason to compromise with the ignorant and the evil. If they want to give everyone an ID for free, fine. It should be up to them to make it easy for anyone to vote who is qualified to vote. But that's not what they want to do. They want to make it impossible for certain people to vote.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Donald wrote:They are ignorant of any real cases of "voter fraud," so they make it up.

You way overstate your case by calling them ignorant, racist and delusional. It is probably doubtful that voter fraud is substantial. I say doubtful because it is extremely hard to catch anyone at it. In Wisconsin I think the bulk of it likely happens in Milwaukee.

In Milwaukee for the 2004 election there was a 7,000-vote gap with more votes counted than people tallied in log books. Statewide 278 felons voted, though most of them came from Milwaukee. Of some 70,000 same-day registration cards, 1,300 were allowed to vote in spite of the fact that many were missing addresses and even names.

I'm sure some Republican's would like to make it harder for minorities (that usually vote Dem) to vote. Just as on the other hand there are some Democrats who would like to make it easy for them to vote more than once, or for someone else. There are valid points on both sides of the argument.

That is why those who support voter ID think we should go to great lengths to make getting a voter ID easy. No charge for the ID and transportation to and from where ever they sign up etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=E5DwoZpWEuo
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:How would Voter ID laws prevent Chicago style ballot stuffing?

It wouldn't. Voter ID can only prevent a small amount of fraud.

I'm only trying to argue that Republicans are sincere in their position, not that they are right. What the right is most worried about is illegal immigrants using fake id to vote.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Sandi, your report has been thoughly debunked. Happy reading.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government