MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Pepper Mill of the stars

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Pepper Mill of the stars

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:16 am

Every pepper mill I've ever owned has been a piece of shit. They are uncomfortable to turn, they generate tiny amounts of pepper, they jam, they spew, they end up in the bottom of a drawer.

So I just ordered a recommended one from PepperMate. (They have one on sale for $25 if you can embrace the aqua color.) It's been popular for 25 years, gets good reviews in comments at amazon and elsewhere. Best of all, it is the pepper mill that Paula Deen uses on her TV show. That celebrity cred won me over.

It's too late to help me, but maybe you would like to share a precious story of your own beloved pepper mill. I will report back on my peppermate experience.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Pepper Mill of the stars

Postby Ttusker » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:44 am

peppermill.jpg
peppermill.jpg (2.82 KiB) Viewed 2807 times
Not really a story, but a strong recommendation: I inherited my Zassenhaus pepper mill from my late mom. It's the smaller version, about five inches tall, with the grinding crank handle on top. My ma treated herself to one from Penzey's about ten years ago because she'd had the same gripes as you about the mills she'd previously owned. I don't know how she did it, but she always knew what was the best quality this or best quality that. And this pepper mill is the best she or I've come across. I use it constantly. That thing can grind out a big pile of coarse or fine pepper in short order, and all my friends who've seen it want one. Unfortunately I don't think Penzey's sells that type anymore, but one might be found online....
Ttusker

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am

I've been through several over the years, but I think this one has earned a permanent place in my kitchen:
OXO Good Grips Pepper Grinder

Easily adjustable, easy to grip, easy to fill, easy to clean, and it doesn't leave a mess behind because it rests with the mill side up. Just a really fantastic design.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:11 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've been through several over the years, but I think this one has earned a permanent place in my kitchen:

I was leaning towards getting that one. Some reviewers said it doesn't grind fine so well. Probably that doesn't matter, but I moved-on in search of perfection.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Huckleby wrote:
So I just ordered a recommended one from PepperMate. (They have one on sale for $25 if you can embrace the aqua color.)

Thanks for the reco Huck. Was just looking for one recently too.

Just bought the same one, the $25 also includes free priority mail shipping too I see plus a 4 oz bag of Tellicherry peppercorns... nice.

And that aqua color... well, uh, yeah, hmmm. I think it'll just have to stay in a cupboard til needed.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I've been through several over the years, but I think this one has earned a permanent place in my kitchen:

I was leaning towards getting that one. Some reviewers said it doesn't grind fine so well. Probably that doesn't matter, but I moved-on in search of perfection.

I'll have to check this out. I almost never use the smallest grind -- I like larger bits of pepper in just about everything, so if this is an issue, I'd likely never have noticed.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:20 pm

I was labeled lazy because I had one of these beauties. It's battery operated. I liked it because I could add pepper while I was cooking as I was reaching for other spices or ingredients.

This is one of the cheaper versions. They vary anywhere from $15 to $150.
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:44 am

I have the similar but lower-rent OXO SoftWorks grinder and I like it a lot.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:44 am

city2countrygal wrote:Image

I was labeled lazy because I had one of these beauties. It's battery operated.

It looks like it could be useful for a variety of household chores.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:26 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote: I'll have to check this out. I almost never use the smallest grind -- I like larger bits of pepper in just about everything, so if this is an issue, I'd likely never have noticed.

I never use a fine grind either, but I can't stand the thought that the grass might be a little greener on the other side.

Here are some good testimonials of pepper mills:
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-kitchn-rev ... -pe-141353

I really love the looks of the aluminum one, the perfex. Seems like a twirling handle on top makes sense. The woman acquired it through marriage, and in fact was initially seduced by her boyfriend's fine pepper millship. But I can't see spending $85.

The foodies most often recomend the $45
Unicorn Magnum Plus Transvaginal Ultramill

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 am

Huckleby wrote:I really like the looks of the aluminum one, the perfex. Seems like a twirling handle on top makes sense.

We got the Perfex as a wedding present a zillion years ago. Sold it at a rummage sale a few years later. Looked great, worked not so great.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:28 pm

We got one of those peppermill/salt shaker combos for Christmas a few years ago. Use it all the time. I am mortified that I had no idea I was using an inferior product.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 am

Don't beat yourself up.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 am

I was on the hunt for a new pepper mill years ago. I ended up buying some shitty plastic one and was disappointed. I searched high and low for the perfect pepper mill. They were either too big or too small or just sucked. I'm picky when it comes to kitchen goods. This went on for months. Luckily, a friend knew that I was looking for one and got me a Vic Firth pepper mill for my birfday. It was perfect.

Just the right size and is fully adjustable. I did end up using the shittier pepper mill for cracked sea salt. I don't use sea salt that much so it worked out well.

Ha, I thought I was the only pepper mill freak out there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bcs89 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:30 pm

Got this as a gift over twenty years ago - love it. Its all brass, built like a tank (weighs in a little over a pound (?) and about 12" tall). Easy to adjust grind, though I rarely do. Come apart at the middle to grind (the bottom is hollow, used to grind into and store).
Bottom says "Made in Greece" and the side says ATLAS, if I'm not mistaken, these were originally coffee grinders that were adapted for pepper. This style was made popular by the Frugal Gourmet (Jeff Smith), prior, of course, to his fall from grace.. Regardless, it definitely falls into the "never have to buy another" category of things you can pass down to your kids (or whomever).

pepper mill 2.jpg
pepper mill 2.jpg (81.05 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
bcs89

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues