MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Free House pub in Middleton

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Free House pub in Middleton

Postby Beaver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:44 pm

There is a new pub in downtown Middleton called Free Market or Freetown or something. What is the name? Free Food would be nice. Has anyone tried it?

Found it, Free House pub. Menu looks drab and ordinary. http://www.freehousepub.com/
Last edited by Beaver on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Free-something pub in Middleton

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Free Beer?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Free-something pub in Middleton

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 pm

Was it called a free house? It's the British term for a tavern that is not controlled by a brewery and so is free to sell different brands of beer and ale. The Weary Traveler also uses that terminology. It's a trendy thing to do nowadays.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Free House pub in Middleton

Postby Beaver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Yes Free House. Sounds like a good place for homeless to stay. Menu looks like a good place for only the homeless to eat.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:58 pm

I wouldn't go there if I were you. It sounds too scary.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:30 pm

The Free House Pub is worth a visit, if you tread vegi or not.
I like this spot very much.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 am

I haven't tried out the menu but I have stopped in for post-work drinks on occasion. The tap list is quite impressive and the bar atmosphere is pretty enjoyable.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:09 am

Looks like a pretty typical pub menu to me. I'm not quite sure what you were expecting. I think the options look good and all their meat is from Knoche's which says something right there.

You complain there is nothing on the west side and then show us a decent looking place with good beer and whiskey and a nice menu. Must suck to never be pleased with anything.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:27 am

You're a real turd in the punch bowl, Beaver. I hope this is an act, because on TDPF, you're insufferable.

The Free House Pub has been around for a year now. Hardly new, and very much worth a visit. Food's decent, and as noted by Stebben, the meats are high-grade. Wallrock pretty much nailed its liquid virtues.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow, you Cheeseheads like your pubs.

TheBookPolice wrote:I hope this is an act, because on TDPF, you're insufferable.
What other posts of mine do you dislike so much?

Stebben84 wrote:You complain there is nothing on the west side...Must suck to never be pleased with anything.

When did I complain there is nothing on the West side? I like Hubbard Ave diner and Sofra which are a stones throw from Free House. Other Middleton places I like are Capt Bill's, Dhaba, Johny's Italian, Pancake House, Prairie cafe, Roman Candle, and Vin Santo. I liked Blue Spoon, Macaroni grill, Simply Soup, Tuscany, and Tutto Pasta but they all closed.

I don't drink and try to avoid meat so don't like Pubs in general. Therefore, there isn't much on the Free House menu that makes me want to go there. I prefer full meals (preferably healthy) instead of sandwiches and chips. Don't see anything bad about that.

What so good about Knoche's? is their meat organic? Maybe Free House is a better than average pub like Craft or Nitty Gritty, better than greasy spoons like Club Tavern and Village green. But pubs aren't for me.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:21 pm

You know, Beav, Pub was part of the name. If pubs aren't for you, why did you even bother to ask about it?

For those of us who are not opposed to pubs, I concur that the beer list is solid, the service level is pretty good, and as pub fare goes, it's not bad at all. I also like their outdoor seating area.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I asked because I thought there was a chance I would like. I didn't expect to be called insufferable or a turd for not liking it.

I figured I wouldn't like it since it was a pub, but was worth asking. Craft Table pub comes close to meeting my standards.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Beaver wrote:I figured I wouldn't like it since it was a pub, but was worth asking. Craft Table pub comes close to meeting my standards.

Interesting. I've been to both a few times this summer, and I rate them pretty close. Much more highly than you to be sure. At the moment I like Free House a little better because I like their outdoor seating arrangement better, and I think their tap list is a little stronger.

I used to frequent Vin Santo and need to get back there. Thanks for reminding me of them.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:49 pm

My previous name-calling (sorry, it's childish, but what can you do) has nothing to do with whether or not you like the Free House Pub.

Beaver, you've got to work on this wide vein of xenophobia that runs through so many of your posts. Park Street is scary because of what it used to be years ago. Microwave ovens will kill you, and my proof is this amateur blog. This "pub" place sounds awful and I bet the homeless love it.

Experience a little more of the world around you rather than judging it sight-unseen to be dangerous, shabby, and lacking, and I know I, at least, will surely come to find your contributions here less irksome.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:15 pm

Plus all the constant tail-slapping is really annoying.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews