MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Best place to sell used books in town is...?

What books, zines or other pulp are you reading? What aren't you reading? What should everyone else read?

Best place to sell used books in town is...?

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I am helping to un-pack-rat a pack-rat which this week means I have a big crate of old pulp books to get rid of. Anybody have experience in town with Frugal Muse or Half Priced Books, or another store I may not be aware of? Suggestions gladly appreciated.

As in, which one's better for if you have a big thing of old books and want to get rid of the whole thing.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best place to sell used books in town is...?

Postby donges » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I think they both would be pickier than just accepting a box of whatever. If it won't sell, then they have to deal with it.
How about valuing them at 50 cents each, getting a receipt at St. Vinnies and having a tax deduction instead?
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Bludge,
It depends on if you want money for these books.
Frug and HPBs may not want all of what you have, and you will most likely receive a pittance for what they do want.
If you are not so interested in getting dollars for these books, you might want to take them to the Sequoia library and donate them for their monthly book sale. If this interests you, give them a call to see how the donation business works.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks for the input guys. Personally I don't care about the money. However, I don't know if you have much experience with pack rats, I have found that one of the main things that keeps them holding on to things is the idea that some of these things are valuable. I dont mind to give the rest of the books away but I thought it might encourage this person by reinforcing their idea of the value of these things as a way to establish for them a sense of security in the idea of letting things go. Im hoping one of the book stores snaps up a couple handfuls of them so I can send the receipt along with some money. I was thinking even if I have to donate the rest it would just make the person feel better about parting with more of the other stuff that's accumulated. Thanks for the good donation suggestions.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:34 am

I've sold to Frugal Muse plenty of times. They are picky in a sensible way. You can use the credit right in the store or take the cash. You get less cash than credit.

I like doing business with them because they're local and are nice people, treat kids in the store helpfully and kindly, and know their stock.

After I let them pick over what I bring in, I donate the rest. Good ones go to the library or St Vincents (which has a huge book room, if you've never seen it) and frankly-trash ones go in the recycling.

I think nearly all the local branch libraries, not just Sequoya, have sales of donated materials.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 am

Little free libraries are scattered throughout the town. When I finish a book that I don't intend on keeping, I throw it in my car and when I see a library box while driving, I stop and leave it off.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 pm

snoqueen wrote:I've sold to Frugal Muse plenty of times. They are picky in a sensible way. You can use the credit right in the store or take the cash. You get less cash than credit.

I like doing business with them because they're local and are nice people, treat kids in the store helpfully and kindly, and know their stock...

I H-I-G-H-L-Y recommend Frugal Muse. They do give you more for in store than cash with trade-in's but their prices are fair and they have a fantastic selection. The staff are so cool--if you are looking for something in particular they can put in an order but they have a lot in stock too. I like that they are a local and long term successful business. I love looking through the stacks of books, cd's, and dvd's. GREAT way to spend some time if you are suffering from Wisconsin Cabin Fever in February.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm

I've taken many boxes of books to HPB east. Generally I get a pittance but they take all of them, even textbooks that the college bookstore wouldn't buy back.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Little free libraries are scattered throughout the town. When I finish a book that I don't intend on keeping, I throw it in my car and when I see a library box while driving, I stop and leave it off.

I see that this is an older post, but I love Henry's idea. Little Libraries have proliferated across the city and I see a lot of understocked ones.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cynicann » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:56 am

Little Free Libraries are a great idea, because people who maintain them often have to restock at their own expense because books aren't always returned, nor replaced by users.
cynicann

Return to Books