MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood.

Postby Cameron Connors » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:47 am

Might be a little tough to see: "Man finds family recording at rummage sale Man finds family recording at rummage sale Man finds fami"

http://imgur.com/xPSQYqz,sBbd8QS

And yeah, they took it down already.
Attachments
passersby2resize5.jpg
passersby2resize5.jpg (20.35 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Cameron Connors

Re: Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood.

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:21 pm

I miss The Onion. I guess we should thank the Journal Sentinel online for doing their part to fill the newspaper-based humor gap, but it just isn't the same...
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:I miss The Onion. I guess we should thank the Journal Sentinel online for doing their part to fill the newspaper-based humor gap, but it just isn't the same...

Still going strong.

http://www.theonion.com/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah, just not the same. And looking a little desperate, actually, but maybe that's just because online always has to be all in your face, "Click on me! Click on meeeeee!" Part of the charm of The Onion in print were the jokes that were content to sit back and wait for you to notice them, or not. "Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood," for example. Way too slow for the Internet, but then the slowness was the joke.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Errors creeping into newspapers + The Onion =
Today's Staunton News Leader, a Gannett newspaper based in Virginia, came with a little surprise for the children. In a "Kid's Corner" sidebar buried in the weather section, the caption accompanying a Crayoned drawing included the word "fucking." As in: If you’re a fucking idiot, it can be fun to refer to your draft site as “the war room.” Wait, what?

The arbitrary caption is a line of copy pasted directly from The Onion's "Tips For Hosting A Fantasy Football Draft," published last Friday.
Attachments
ku-medium.jpg
ku-medium.jpg (15.47 KiB) Viewed 797 times
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cameron Connors » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Comedy gold.
Cameron Connors

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:25 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote:And looking a little desperate, actually, but maybe that's just because online always has to be all in your face, "Click on me! Click on meeeeee!"

I think that's totally the point of The Onion online and not an act of deperation. Since many people now get their news online it only makes sense that The Onion now spoof how we get our "online" news. The print edition was great and seeing those headlines as I caught a glimpse of the paper was golden, but those days of print media are going away. It would have been foolish for The Onion to not embrace the "in your face" web news.

I have the Onion on my Tumblr and there have been some great ongoing stories(much like traditional media types will do) that would keep updating with breaking information. This was a favorite.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lone-g ... ant,31567/

I kept getting these updates on Tumblr and they were hilarious. This is something they couldn't do through their print edition.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for the link. This headline also caught my eye: Mother Surprised Son Needs So Much Ammunition For First Day Of School
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:38 pm

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Cameron Connors wrote:Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood. Passersby were amazed at the unusual amounts of blood....

I remember waking up and getting a bzzz first time I saw that article and being like what the fuck did I not just reaaaad that sentence?? Totally awesome way to fuck with your readers, back in the day.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:16 pm

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ant-fa ... death,334/

The kid on the left is a friend of mine, who I had as a student at East, and who I still keep in touch with. He occasionally re-posts that article on Facebook just to remind everybody.

And I agree about the WTF factor of reading the "unusual amounts of blood" article for the first time.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gozer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:27 am

Zoti Bemba wrote: Way too slow for the Internet, but then the slowness was the joke.

yes indeed . . . it can be said that the medium is the message, which has always been my analysis . . . i certainly agree with that interpretation . . .
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All