MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fukushima Dai'ichi calamity - No End In Sight

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Fukushima Dai'ichi calamity - No End In Sight

Postby manoletters » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:06 pm

Alarming to be sure! What's interesting about virtually all exposures to radioactive waste is that there's NO safe dosage. The only distinctions to be drawn are between LESS harmful and MORE harmful exposures. The leakage into the sea of 300+ tons of highly lethal Strontium-90 and Cesium-137 contaminated water from the three damaged/destroyed Fukushima Dai'ichi reactors represents a global calamity with no apparent solution. To say nothing of the much more dangerous Plutonium-239 contained in deadly abundance within the reactor cores, and no doubt still being widely emitted into the atmosphere. The overall ecological impact is much like what happened at Chernobyl in 1986 and afterward. Thus, there's no need to worry, since worry, in the absence of a potential solution, is the most futile of all emotions. Best to just wait for eventual radiation sickness, eat a lot of miso, and smile at Death as he makes his gradual way across the Pacific. And oh, make sure to stay away from that Pacific blue-fin tuna. Anybody who tries to tell me that nuclear fission generated electric power is an indispensable part of our energy equation has, figuratively speaking of course, a corpse in his/her mouth.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2013/0 ... -alarming/
manoletters
Forum Addict

Re: Fukushima Dai'ichi calamity - No End In Sight

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:12 pm

And let's not forget they sell used panties in vending machines over there too.

Talk about calamity.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:25 am

other i
Forum Addict

Postby Beaver » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm

The Japanese are nuking us. Revenge 68 yrs later. Here is a new video of the tsunami:
http://www.redflagnews.com/headlines/sh ... d-released
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm

At the Very Least, Your Days of Eating Pacific Ocean Fish Are Over
http://www.themindunleashed.org/2013/08 ... ating.html

"It now appears that anywhere from 300 to possibly over 450 tons of contaminated water that contains radioactive iodone, cesium, and strontium-89 and 90, is flooding into the Pacific Ocean from the Fukushima Daichi site everyday. To give you an idea of how bad that actually is, Japanese experts estimate Fukushima’s fallout at 20-30 times as high as as the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings in 1945."

“Plumes of radioactivity from Fukushima are migrating in the Pacific towards the U.S. West Coast.”
“[Chernobel]] is one of the most monstrous cover-ups in the history of medicine”
“Then we extrapolate to japan. Japan is – by orders of magnitude – many times worse than Chernobyl.”
“I knew the three GE engineers who helped design the GE Mark 1 reactors. They resigned because they knew they were dangerous. Japan built them on an earthquake fault.”
“Diablo and San Onofre are both built on earthquake faults, haven’t you seen enough of an earthquake to see what it does…and in a tsunami area.”
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 pm

No End In Sight

Indeed
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/29/fukushi ... s_by_2014/

If humans are going to extract energy in this way,
I think it best to focus on if it can be done safely.
Rather than cheaping out and directing 'policy' toward covering up the inevitable mistakes (i.e. keeping said mistakes out of the public eye).
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

As much as 450 tons, huh? Or, put in other terms, about 110,000 gallons. Probably about half as much as there is in that firewater tank behind your local Walmart.

So has anyone been harmed by the radiation from Fukashima?

Last I had heard was that, other than perhaps a few first responders, there have been no radioactive ill effects detected in anyone in Japan.

Or did I miss the news on this? Has there been radioactive harm?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 pm

If anyone is interested in the science of how much radiation is actually being emitted by these 110,000 gallons of water, you can find calculations here:

http://atomicinsights.com/fear-mongering-over-water-leaks-at-fukushima-dai-ichi/

Bottom line is:

If someone drank two liters per day of the water that we are supposed to be afraid of for an entire year, their committed effective dose would be just 3 mSv; it would slightly more than double their annual background dose. If the entire amount of that water entered the Pacific Ocean, it would contain less than 0.00002 grams (0.02 milligrams) of strontium-90.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:41 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:So has anyone been harmed by the radiation from Fukashima? Or did I miss the news on this? Has there been radioactive harm?

http://nuclearnewsaustralia.wordpress.c ... overed-up/

"It also appears that radiation has already killed over 14,000 Americans as Thom Hartman shockingly discovered during his 7 minute video interview with Dr. Janette Sherman, M.D., Internist and Toxicologist. These are apparently the same levels of death that were found at Chernobyl and the radiation effects could easily last over 300 years."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 am

Beaver wrote:http://nuclearnewsaustralia.wordpress.c ... overed-up/

"It also appears that radiation has already killed over 14,000 Americans as Thom Hartman shockingly discovered during his 7 minute video interview with Dr. Janette Sherman, M.D., Internist and Toxicologist. These are apparently the same levels of death that were found at Chernobyl and the radiation effects could easily last over 300 years."

Someone else mentioned this and linked to Infowars. I figured they were joking.

Where might we find this study?

I looked and found a lot of reportage about the study but none of them provided any links to the study itself.

What I did find in some of the calmer reportage was not that "14,000 American deaths have already occurred" but that it is more along the lines of 14,000 Americans may have shorter lifespans than otherwise. Seems like a big difference to me. It also appears that this is based on a very small sample over a 14 week period. Supposedly if this is extrapolated, one gets to the 14,000 early deaths. (Or, maybe not)

If "14,000 American deaths have already occurred" do you really think we would not have heard of it? And if 14,000 occurred in the US, wouldn't we expect 100,000 or so in Japan itself? Why have we not heard about this?

I think you need to get a better bullshit filter.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 pm

johnfajardohenry wrote:And if 14,000 occurred in the US, wouldn't we expect 100,000 or so in Japan itself? Why have we not heard about this?

Good question. Japan is so crowded maybe they wouldn't notice if they lost 100,000. I don't know but here is another link with interesting points:
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/08/ ... mless.html

"Even the very lowest levels of radiation are harmful to life, scientists have concluded in the Cambridge Philosophical Society’s journal Biological Reviews...According to the National Academy of Sciences, there are no safe doses of radiation. Decades of research show clearly that any dose of radiation increases an individual’s risk for the development of cancer."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:44 pm

Beaver wrote:Decades of research show clearly that any dose of radiation increases an individual’s risk for the development of cancer."

OK, but the real question is by how much, isn't it?

For example, smoking doubles one's risk of getting lung cancer!!!!!! Oh the horrors, all smokers will die!!!

But it doubles an already low risk. IIRC, about 4.5/1,000 of non-smokers will get lung cancer. About 9/1,000 of smokers will get it.

So, yeah, it is doubled but I find that very few people realize how low the risk of lung cancer is even to smokers.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:11 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:...need to get a better bullshit filter.

John Henry

Indeed.
This disaster continues to be a disaster no matter how much you want to dismiss it.
The first step toward recovery is admitting you have a problem. At least the both articles below report on this slowly emerging admission.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/13 ... -official/

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/09/13-7

"I think the current situation is that it is not under control"

"Each day brings new disasters, with fresh reports on Friday that steam is billowing from a reactor. Radiation levels at the plant were found to be 18 times higher than TEPCO previously claimed, climbing to a high of 1800 millisieverts per hour—enough to kill a person in just four hours."

"TEPCO says it has resorted to patching tank leaks with plastic tape."
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines