MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Chimney service recommendations?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Chimney service recommendations?

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Looking for a reasonably priced service to install chimney cap on our gas furnace chimney.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Re: Chimney service recommendations?

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Ashley, I don't have anyone in particular to recommend, but all this task requires is access to the chimney, the price of a good cap, and a half hour's time to install it — perhaps less. But if you don't already know the dimensions of the flue, that could involve another trip, and so more expense.

Also, the type of cap may depend on why you need it. (Typical reasons are: water intrusion, racoon intrusion, bat intrusion, etc. The types of caps needed will vary according to the particulars.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Chimney service recommendations?

Postby Ashley » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes, it's definitely a simple task; however, I've seen too many people fall from roofs and hurt themselves so TBH I'd rather pay someone else to take the risk :? We don't know the size of the flue, need flue to prevent water intrusion and the home inspector noted that there was no chimney cap when the house was purchased.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Return to Town Vibe