MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Maybe UW shouldn't have fired the Camp Randall vendors

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Maybe UW shouldn't have fired the Camp Randall vendors

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Or maybe they'll get it straightened out next game.

UW fired its old vendors and is using a private company to sling drinks and food this year. Someone forgot to tell them there would be lots of customers. Lines were long, people got thirsty, and a good time was not had by all.

The old setup relied heavily on youth organizations who now have some heavy budget cuts to think about.

All the comments on this one seem to be quite irate.

In the email, Alvarez said "Unfortunately, some of you had an unsatisfactory experience with our concessions operations at today’s game. We are committed to providing outstanding customer service and today we did not meet your expectations. We apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced. Please be assured we are aware of the issues and are already working with our concessions partner on solutions for next week’s game."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Maybe UW shouldn't have fired the Camp Randall vendors

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:50 am

I read this article the day before the game and I knew there would be problems: Those hawking sodas at Camp Randall won't be youths anymore

Alverez kicked out the W Club and other non-profit sports organizations and hired a Plano, Texas corporation instead, which paid four million dollars for getting exclusive rights. They won't hire kids and couldn't find enough adults to work as low paid vendors. I sit in the upper deck and the kid pictured in the article used to sell Coke with his singsong voice. On Saturday, no vendors were in sight. Instead one had to stand in line for up to a half hour to get anything to eat or drink.

In another move to bring in more bucks, the new larger stadium video screen no longer has the game stats. Instead, more advertising fills either side of the screen.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Not shocking that they can't find adults to sell soda. Nobody tips when they buy soda, and there are only 7 games or so a year. It seems like this might be the new vendor's legal department making this call, not he ones actually in charge of selling stuff.

I never had an issue service-wise with the old setup, but frankly, the food was often not very good. Had too many cups of cold chocolate, or warm soda.

CSC has a similar issue with getting enough people to work at the games when the wages are low and the hours spotty. The difference with that situation is that most employees from Per Mar (the prior security vendor) seemed to be cranky and uncooperative, so it ended up being probably a net gain from a fan's perspective.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Igor wrote: Nobody tips when they buy soda...

Maybe you don't but others do, especially when it is a kid doing the vending.

From my link: "The pay was commission-based with tips — top earners brought home a bit more than $100 a game."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Igor wrote: Nobody tips when they buy soda...

Maybe you don't but others do, especially when it is a kid doing the vending.

From my link: "The pay was commission-based with tips — top earners brought home a bit more than $100 a game."

Interesting. I was assuming it was similar to the Mallards, where the beer vendors can do quite well, but the soda vendors not so much. $100 is about double what most of the CSC staff make for the game.

Of course, many people are going to be more generous with a 12 year old kid than an 18 year old one, which will make it even harder to find potential employees.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:41 am

Yeah, it was pretty bad at the game on Saturday. Managed to find hot dogs and nachos. We're not a Dr. Pepper, Royal Crown Cola, Sun Drop town, so this should be interesting.

I did enjoy the Snapple.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Two of the guys in our group left to get a soda midway through the second quarter and were gone for a long time, returning during halftime complaining about the lines. As for me I haven't purchased anything at Camp Randall since I was a college student and Stocco was slinging the ball. Back then a boiled hot dog went a long way toward calming the shakes. It's not really a problem for me anymore.

The main reason the W Club got the boot was because they refused to improve the food selection. I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but I would have preferred better options had I still bought stadium food.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:28 pm

wallrock wrote:The main reason the W Club got the boot was because they refused to improve the food selection.

I am skeptical about this. No offense intended but it just doesn't sound right. I have a hard time believing W Club decided they'd rather be thrown out than change the menu. Do you have any corroboration?

Does this mean even though the lines were long, the food was better?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:We're not a Dr. Pepper, Royal Crown Cola, Sun Drop town, so this should be interesting.

That was one plus in my book. Not to derail things, but I think RC and Sun Drop are superior to Coke, Pepsi, and Mountain Dew. Obviously, they are all preferable to Mello Yello, which is always what I assumed what Slurm (from Futurama) must taste like.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 am

rabble wrote:
wallrock wrote:The main reason the W Club got the boot was because they refused to improve the food selection.

I am skeptical about this. No offense intended but it just doesn't sound right. I have a hard time believing W Club decided they'd rather be thrown out than change the menu. Do you have any corroboration?

This was what I was told by a friend that works in the business. He brought it up last year when they introduced something new at the Kohl Center during hockey games (Qdoba burritos I believe). He told me that the W Club didn't want to go beyond the hot dogs and brats and they fight pretty hard against changing. When the W Club cancelled their contract I mentioned it again and he said Levy was the frontrunner to win the concession because the W Club wasn't going to do more than their usual brats and dogs. Maybe there was a logistical aspect to it or something similar, because I agree it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to insist on the same old when the Athletic Dept. is actively trying to improve the "Fan Experience" by getting away from all that.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:25 am

It wasn't just the W Club that was kicked out. A Madison speedskater association used to sell bottled water at the top of the ramp for the upper deck. That non-profit is now gone and the new Texas vendor is selling water in the same place. But Barbie's cookies still has a stand. I believe the owner is part of the Smoky's family and they have a close association with Badger athletics.

And as far as I know, the new vendor isn't selling anything different than the usual hot dogs, brats, peanuts and popcorn that the W Club used to offer.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

I don't understand the crucifying of Barry on Madison.com (why I bother reading the comments over there, I don't know) - wasn't this an Athletics Board decision?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:19 pm

So, how was today's game? The papers say they had more boots on the ground this time and the lines weren't as bad.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:58 pm

It's pretty typical that a new vendor In a setting of this magnitude will have some rough spots starting out.

People need to grow up. If you want to play in the big leagues with the Michigans, the Notre Dames, and the Alabamas of the world, you need to maximize revenues, like Barry is doing.

Or let's just bring the Don Morton era back. If that's what you want, fire Barry. See you at the stadium, which will be easy because you'll be all by yourself. I know. I was there, sitting wherever I wanted. Anyone who thinks we aren't better off now probably isn't a football fan anyway.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:57 am

gargantua wrote:People need to grow up. If you want to play in the big leagues with the Michigans, the Notre Dames, and the Alabamas of the world, you need to maximize revenues, like Barry is doing

You heard it here first, concession stands are the building blocks of legendary college football programs.

Look for Gary Anderson's new book circa 2020, "From Red Condiments To Red Roses"
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking